Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded my M3P for an RS3 - My thoughts on both cars for what it's worth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some articles came out this week:

Looks pretty fantastic - and it's bucktooth-less :D

View attachment 863029
Honestly, I am not the biggest fan. I had the previous M2C and tbh I think that is pinnacle BMW design, this new M2 feels like an aesthetic downgrade. Like, look at those doors, why are they so flat? Lol. Also, the rear is meh. I think that I would still consider it for a next car, but not over an M3.

Reactions: XPsionic
Yea, I'm curious to see what the new M2 will look like, but judging by just how much the 2-series has grown, I dont have high expectations. I'm not the biggest fan of the Supra's looks, but the B58 with a 6 speed manual and relatively light/er weight (than the 2 series) is almost the most perfect BMW available today IMO.

Offcial pictures are out. It's not pretty, that's for sure. Well, I guess looks are subjective, but I'm thinking most people will think it's not a good looking car. The rear end is a disaster.

This one I just don't understand. I've had mine since 2018. I've put 125,000 miles on it with 2 years of no travel to work during COVID. So for 2 years, the only miles I put on it where traveling 650 miles to Albuquerque NM from Sanger, TX. During COVID< I would go check on my then 73 year old father monthly. I did this trip in my Ram 1500 and my Tesla. After 1 trip in the Ram (took 9 hours), I refused to do it any longer unless I'm in the Tesla (takes close to 10 hours). The drive is so much harder with a vehicle without AP. I had Range Anxiety the first 2 trips. After that, I realized it was going to make it to a SuperCharger and everything was fine.

I have since made 3 trips from Texas to Montana to visit my mom. That's a 1750 mile one way trip. I never had any range anxiety with the 2 trips in the Tesla. I have also made this trip once in my Ram Pickup and will NOT do that again. Without AP, road trips are sooooooo much harder. In the pickup, I made the trip in 29 hours. The car took 31 and 32 hours.
I probably misdescribed it. Let me try it this way "not enough range". My car was advertised at 315 miles. In the real world summer it was more like 200 to 225 at highway speeds. In the winter, more like 150 to 175. Most of the time, it was a non issue and yes I had range sapping 20 inch wheels. But on the few occasions I needed to take the car for longer highway trips, the range was really pretty awful. Not the end of the world but definitely inconvenient including my described event where the nearest supercharger was actually past my destination. I'm not knocking Tesla (although I do think they should be more transparent on real world range) but I do look forward to the day when 300+ real world range is achievable.

...but I do look forward to the day when 300+ real world range is achievable.

As do we all.

Unfortunately, this would require a 90-100KWH battery, which isn't really practical in a vehicle the size of the Model 3.

Regarding your "Supercharger past your destination" experience, it's tough to understand that one, too, unless you set out on the trip without using the in-car NAV...

Anyway - enjoy the RS3!

This weekend, I parted ways with my beloved 2021 M3P for an RS3.
[...]
All in all, I very much enjoyed my M3P and will own one again someday. I have nothing but praise for the car overall - despite my list of complaints above. The RS3 is on another level in terms of interior feel and driving engagement.

Nice upgrade.
I've all but stopped driving the TM3P in favor of ///M3, and spent the last weekend test driving Audi's for a 3P replacement.
e-tron GT was very VERY tempting. GT RS is awesome.
GT interior and suspension are fantastic, and driving TM3P home after GT was very pedestrian and disappointing. I think we all know how this will end...

Honestly, I am not the biggest fan. I had the previous M2C and tbh I think that is pinnacle BMW design, this new M2 feels like an aesthetic downgrade. Like, look at those doors, why are they so flat? Lol. Also, the rear is meh. I think that I would still consider it for a next car, but not over an M3.

Another decent alternative, if you are a car guy.
Alas, 3,814 pounds with the manual gearbox, 3,867 with the automatic. :eek:

Nice upgrade.
I've all but stopped driving the TM3P in favor of ///M3, and spent the last weekend test driving Audi's for a 3P replacement.
e-tron GT was very VERY tempting. GT RS is awesome.
GT interior and suspension are fantastic, and driving TM3P home after GT was very pedestrian and disappointing. I think we all know how this will end...

Another decent alternative, if you are a car guy.
Alas, 3,814 pounds with the manual gearbox, 3,867 with the automatic. :eek:
Do not even care about weight anymore, I have accepted that cars will only get bigger and heavier... lol
I think the new M2 is great, I just don't fancy the exterior all that much, but I am sure it will grow on me just like the M3 did, the M4 not so much.

Do not even care about weight anymore, I have accepted that cars will only get bigger and heavier... lol
I think the new M2 is great, I just don't fancy the exterior all that much, but I am sure it will grow on me just like the M3 did, the M4 not so much.
RS3 is 3,639 lbs which is relatively light these days. And has 4 doors, so can pass for family hauler double-duty.
Basically, it's very similar in fun factor to F80 M3, which I still love.

I will defer my opinion on M2 until I drive it, but the weight ABOVE G80 M3 territory (3767 lbs or 6spd) is a disappointment.
It has no business being heavier than the current M3.

IMHO,
a

As do we all.

Unfortunately, this would require a 90-100KWH battery, which isn't really practical in a vehicle the size of the Model 3.

Regarding your "Supercharger past your destination" experience, it's tough to understand that one, too, unless you set out on the trip without using the in-car NAV...

Anyway - enjoy the RS3!
I used the Tesla navigation system the whole way and it forced me to a supercharger 15 miles past my destination in bumper to bumper traffic. It was maddening and this was near an urban area. So either the Tesla navigation system was wrong or it was the best possible path even with the traffic. All I know is what should have been a 4 hour trip turned into a 6 hour trip.

I used the Tesla navigation system the whole way and it forced me to a supercharger 15 miles past my destination in bumper to bumper traffic. It was maddening and this was near an urban area. So either the Tesla navigation system was wrong or it was the best possible path even with the traffic. All I know is what should have been a 4 hour trip turned into a 6 hour trip.

The Tesla software is the best planning software on an EV anywhere...but its not perfect. I find that I still use a 2nd source like ABRP and understand my options on a road-trip. Fortunately, California is Supercharger dense so there are a lot more options available and the new CCS adapter is now available in the US which gives way more flexibility. Most 4-6 hour roadtrips for me only add about 40-60min of additional time. I always allocate 15-20 min of additional time for every 2 hours vs. an ICE.

Reactions: Cypcode
RS3 is 3,639 lbs which is relatively light these days. And has 4 doors, so can pass for family hauler double-duty.
Basically, it's very similar in fun factor to F80 M3, which I still love.

I will defer my opinion on M2 until I drive it, but the weight ABOVE G80 M3 territory (3767 lbs or 6spd) is a disappointment.
It has no business being heavier than the current M3.

IMHO,
a
I have to disagree with the "it's very similar in fun factor to F80 M3." I had a 2018 S3, which I know it is not an RS3, but the RS3 is basically a juiced-up version of the S3, and I can tell you that, that car is more similar to a Model 3 than anything else. I would not consider it fun by any means of the imagination, it just does everything TOO well, put your foot down and that is it, you can't do that on an M2, M3, or M4, all cars that are much more engaging manual or not than Audis. I love Audi, specifically the RS3, more than the R8 and RS6, but at least to me, they are more daily drivers than sporty fun cars.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I have to disagree with the "it's very similar in fun factor to F80 M3." I had a 2018 S3, which I know it is not an RS3, but the RS3 is basically a juiced-up version of the S3, and I can tell you that, that car is more similar to a Model 3 than anything else. I would not consider it fun by any means of the imagination, it just does everything TOO well, put your foot down and that is it, you can't do that on an M2, M3, or M4, all cars that are much more engaging manual or not than Audis. I love Audi, specifically the RS3, more than the R8 and RS6, but at least to me, they are more daily drivers than sporty fun cars.
In all honesty, I think most modern-day BMWs fall into this trap as well. Most of BMWs "sports"/sport-y cars are simply deconstructed from their sports sedans (rather than built from the ground up.) That is why the weights have been so insane on the previous and current-gen M-series vehicles (the new M2 weighs almost as much as the M4.) There are very few companies making dedicated sports car platforms today.

This might be sacrilegious, but I find the ND Miata to be more enjoyable to drive than my previous-gen M2; I autocrossed/tracked both vehicles as well. I switched to the M2 mostly to still have something fun to drive that was also a bit more practical (the 2+2 setup is perfect for me really.) The M2 was fun to drive (moreso than my Model 3), but I find the ND to be more engaging when cruising through backroads/track/whatever; for commuting, the ND is a chore lol. I'm a bit biased though in that up until my M2, I had mostly driven/owned sub 2800lb vehicles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: T3SLAROD and tm1v2

That must have been really frustrating.

Never having experienced anything remotely like it, it's hard for me to imagine.

I've driven my car across the country, and on literally dozens of longer drives that required Supercharging, but I'm guessing that you were going to a city where there were very limited Supercharger options. Maybe I'm too careful, but I always look at my long-distance drives ahead of time to scope out my charging options. If it's round-trip, and there's no Supercharger close to the initial destination, I'll stop at one along the way and top up to give me more options later.