Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded P85D for Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because they include "learning curve" issues as problems, it's still something customers needed help with, which with all other brands they can just pick up a phone and speak to a live person. I can also assure you none of my personal visits to the service center with my Model S's were "learning curve" related, unless you include the learning curve of Tesla engineers.

My family never asked me questions how to use a flip phone. They have questions about their smartphone all the time.

I never said your issues were. But that survey isn’t a survey of one, now is it?

All older Teslas slow down. Tesla officially removed the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty from new cars, and added wording about 30% loss of range being "normal wear and tear" and therefore not covered under warranty. Sure, you can hope, maybe pray, that the newer cars won't be limited, but hope and/or prayer are typically not very successful strategies. Yours is a 2017, give it a couple more years.

Also, the OP traded a Tesla with 85 battery, which belongs to the slowed down group, so his Bolt will charge faster than his Tesla - no caveat.

Do you know for sure a Bolt can maintain those charge speeds after 6 or more years?

As far as removing the unlimited mile warranty, the miles are still in line with what the average driver will accumulate in those 8 years. The “unlimited” was probably being exploited by taxi services. But I don’t hear of many drivetrain or major battery issues like early on.

Oh I will give it a few more years, no question.

Yes the OP’s trade in fits that but I wasn’t responding to the OP in my prior message.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
My family never asked me questions how to use a flip phone. They have questions about their smartphone all the time.

I never said your issues were.
If Tesla's really didn't need that much service, imagine the media exposure they'd get if they actually delivered on Elon's stated "fact" that everyone gets a P100D loaner while in service, or even his older plan of "same or better" Tesla loaner. The fact that they are not able to do that, tells us that a lot of Teslas need service beyond the "learning curve" which would not require a loaner, as someone would just come out to the car and teach the customer on their car how to use the car. Keep in mind that the majority of all Teslas out there are less than a year old (and over 80% are less than 2 years old), so given they don't need any scheduled maintenance, the service centers should be empty, or maybe just full of service advisors teaching customers how to use their cars, right? Where do all these Teslas which need service come from?

Reactions: sorka
If Tesla's really didn't need that much service, imagine the media exposure they'd get if they actually delivered on Elon's stated "fact" that everyone gets a P100D loaner while in service, or even his older plan of "same or better" Tesla loaner. The fact that they are not able to do that, tells us that a lot of Teslas need service beyond the "learning curve" which would not require a loaner, as someone would just come out to the car and teach the customer on their car how to use the car. Keep in mind that the majority of all Teslas out there are less than a year old (and over 80% are less than 2 years old), so given they don't need any scheduled maintenance, the service centers should be empty, or maybe just full of service advisors teaching customers how to use their cars, right? Where do all these Teslas which need service come from?

Since you earlier brought up your anecdotal case....
I brought my car in for “service” for the first time of ownership last month. And my “service” items were just maintenance and a windshield replacement. It certainly wasn’t questions on how to use the car either.

Do you know for sure a Bolt can maintain those charge speeds after 6 or more years?
No, since the Bolt 1st deliveries happened in Dec 2016 (Chevrolet Delivers First Bolt EVs to Customers) but News Coulomb DC FCs his Bolt a lot and I just checked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAaVAgMRq5o. At around 4:18, you can see his 55 kW charging rate. Bolt maxes out at that when below around 50 to 55% SoC. At 2:46, you can see that ChargePoint charger hitting 53.6 kW. (Bolts tends to bounce around around 53 to 55 kW at max.) At around 4:09, you can see has over 119K miles on his Bolt.

• Informative
No, since the Bolt 1st deliveries happened in Dec 2016 (Chevrolet Delivers First Bolt EVs to Customers) but News Coulomb DC FCs his Bolt a lot and I just checked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAaVAgMRq5o. At around 4:18, you can see his 55 kW charging rate. Bolt maxes out at that when below around 50 to 55% SoC. At 2:46, you can see that ChargePoint charger hitting 53.6 kW. (Bolts tends to bounce around around 53 to 55 kW at max.) At around 4:09, you can see has over 119K miles on his Bolt.

Good. What year is his Bolt?

I wish we all could be a little more tolerant of all EV builders.

The Bolt is essentially a Korean car and Korean designed with LG doing all the drivetrain. For reliability and predictability that is an excellent combination. I personally don't much like them, but I know several people who love them plus it is obvious that they're very well built. It's also very spacious for the size and is vey maneuverable. I will not criticize anybody for such a choice.

The Kona and it's sibling I have tried and found to be much less agreeable than the Bolt. Still they are reliable and easy to use, plus usually having really good deals.

I've tried the I-Pace and nearly bought one. For the price I thought there should be OTA updates and better technology integration. Were not the future of JLR in serious question I'd still recommend it for anyone who values the "Jaguarness".

The Porsche Taycan is delightful, but the Porsche pricing conventions drive me away. OTOH, for price insensitive people who love "Porschiness" it ia spectacular.

I am trilled that there are now plausible choices to Tesla. There will be better results for everyone as competition rises.

For sure I am long TSLA and Tesla vehicles. I still treasure the choices.

Now, how long before my spouse decides she really wants the Jag?

For anybody who's "technologically challenged" any of the others will probably be better choices than a Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: Chaserr
I clicked on a link in that article that claimed that I could get a brand new Etron for $63K and still get $7,500, but apparently that was a typo (either by cars.com or the article author) because the car is listest at $71,498. Or maybe just a click-bait headline?
View attachment 559518

I just clicked on it too, i see not $63k but actually $61k. the website probably knows you have alot of money so they can sell it to you for $71k, but since i have no money they want to sell it to me for $61k?

Capture.PNG

I just clicked on it too, i see not $63k but actually $61k. the website probably knows you have alot of money so they can sell it to you for $71k, but since i have no money they want to sell it to me for $61k?

View attachment 560004
I tried again (same computer, no clearing cookies or anything) and I do see $61,998 this time. Randomized pricing? Maybe first time around it shows a high price then the second time it lowers the price to make it more dramatic? Those marketing guys, they come up with crazy stuff. Like Elon, telling people price will go up on FSD, then raising the price, then having end of quarter 75% off a month later. ;)

For anybody who's "technologically challenged" any of the others will probably be better choices than a Tesla.

All of your statements make sense to me except this one. I find my model S MCU far eaiser to use/navigate than any other car I have tried/owned. The mapping is also excellent where many others are almost unusable. Not that there may be better ones out there, but I have not used one.

So do I. My comments were directed for those whose daily computer skills are so challenged that they cannot use basic functions on a smartphone. Obviously those are older people. They do exist, three of them in my family who cannot handle Tesla navigation at all. Some of those Luddites still buy vehicles. I have recommended a Kona EV to a could of them. That one has no navigation at all except on the highest trim level.

My Smart ED is laughably cheap electric drive utilitarian commuter.
It's quirks and legacy gas car maker design faults are frustrating and pathetic example of why Tesla is so far ahead.

Having test driven the Bolt, wow, major step down from any Tesla, and no easier to maintain, it's got 2x the electronic systems (not integrated like Tesla) with all of the wiring complexity of a moon rocket motor ... no thanks.

Our 7.5 year old Model S has seen it's share of service, and you'd think that there would be an advantage for the Smart because I have been the one maintaining it, but that maintenance is damned frustrating, like boosting 12V battery because I parked it without charging for a week, and if I let that go for a month I could brick the high voltage battery due to stupid design decision by OEM designing it like a gas car ... thank you Tesla for doing something different and novel!

It's extremely confusing @JohnSnowNW but Tesla really does slow down supercharging so much Bolts are faster than Teslas after a few years

No. Not true, not even close. For the very small number of Tesla's that have "reduced charge rate", the rate is close to what my 2013 Model S gets after 7.5 years, I've got the original "A" pack, slowest charging battery ever produced by Tesla, and my car still charges at 90kW peak, well above the rate majority of EV owners of any other non-Tesla (Bolt or anything else) will practically see for the next few years, maybe when other charge networks are as ubiquitous they might get close, but it's still no contest, Tesla wins on charge rate in real world road trips.

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
...unless you're still on v8.1:D

I'm on newest firmware, in one of the oldest Model S ever made (~VIN 6000) and my charge rates are the same as when the car left the factory, AND I've got the latest features for voice command and other conveniences, and my browser also works great on the newest web sites. V8.1 is old and it's a sad day when you brag about not upgrading, makes no sense.

I'm on newest firmware, in one of the oldest Model S ever made (~VIN 6000) and my charge rates are the same as when the car left the factory, AND I've got the latest features for voice command and other conveniences, and my browser also works great on the newest web sites. V8.1 is old and it's a sad day when you brag about not upgrading, makes no sense.

for the cars that are effected, it seems that the V8 software doesn't nerf them, so he's not wrong

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and Chaserr