Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded test drives with my brother-in-law's Porsche Boxster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn't seen my B-I-L in over a year due to covid and we've both since bought cars. He was already impressed by the M3 while looking it over and I took him out on a very straight long road. As soon as I turned onto it I floored it and was doing 65 in no time. "Holy Shiite" was his response. I then let him drive it back and he was having a good time with it, and he's coming from a Boxster.

He then took me out int he Boxster, and I could still see how this car is a blast to drive in nice weather with the roof down. I took the controls even though it had a manual transmission which I hadn't used in 30+ years. It really is a lot of fun. It is fast but not the same instantaneous fast of the M3, and of course I don't really know how to drive it. I'd call it a draw, but I wouldn't trade my M3 for one. Now if I could only get my hands on a Tesla Roadster...

I agree with the part about missing the ragtop of my old 2007 Miata. And it was more nimble than my loved but 4,000 lbs sedan. And the buttery-smooth shifter.

Ah, the cost of progress!
;)

IMG_20151003_112430758.jpg

I had Boxster envy for a long time. A friend owned one and she lent it to me several times. Drove up to New Hampshire for an anniversary party and encountered a guy who had rented an M3 for the weekend. I was impressed even though I didn't have a chance to drive the car. That's when Tesla envy started to creep in. A year later, the summer of 2018, I promised myself I'd have a Tesla before I turned 73 the next year. In December of 2018, I had put together the funds and a small loan to buy my Blue M3 AWD LR. No regrets. It is so much better than the Boxster in myriad ways.
1621863672418.png

I do love the Model 3's instant and powerful acceleration and it's fun to get off the line at stops, but it's a very heavy car and just doesn't have the handling or feel of more purpose-built sports car like the Boxster or Miata. And, of course, it's not a convertible. If I had the garage space, I would have kept my Miata around when I got my Model 3, but something had to go. The Miata, Boxster, etc. are better, in my opinion, or weekend cruises and canyon carving. The Model 3 seats five people and accelerates off the line like nobody's business. It's also a great roadtrip car (assuming charging infrastructure exists where you want to be), unlike most 2-seat convertibles.

Reactions: Ron_M3
I do love the Model 3's instant and powerful acceleration and it's fun to get off the line at stops, but it's a very heavy car and just doesn't have the handling or feel of more purpose-built sports car like the Boxster or Miata.
I wouldn't describe the Boxter or Miata as being purpose built sports cars. The Miata is the Toyota Corolla of "sporty" cars, an the Boxter is the Fredo of Porsche's lineup.

Coming from a 911 C4S it is very clear that there is no comparison in acceleration (at least below 70mph or so) the P3D destroys just about anything else out there. From a tactile feedback, handling, braking, and track standpoint the 911 is far superior to the Model 3. In both cases it's like comparing apples to oranges. Just comes down to what you want out of a car. I find the Model 3 to be a lot of fun to drive in just about any condition including mundane trips to the grocery store even when there is traffic, and second to none in longer drives with autopilot. On the right road (or a race track) the 911 was considerably better and a lot more fun. Oh, and stuffing a car seat into the back of the 911 was something I don't miss.

Reactions: mdsco and XPsionic
Coming from a 911 C4S it is very clear that there is no comparison in acceleration (at least below 70mph or so) the P3D destroys just about anything else out there. From a tactile feedback, handling, braking, and track standpoint the 911 is far superior to the Model 3. In both cases it's like comparing apples to oranges. Just comes down to what you want out of a car. I find the Model 3 to be a lot of fun to drive in just about any condition including mundane trips to the grocery store even when there is traffic, and second to none in longer drives with autopilot. On the right road (or a race track) the 911 was considerably better and a lot more fun. Oh, and stuffing a car seat into the back of the 911 was something I don't miss.
That's exactly right. I was on the fence for a long time between the 340i and the M3P. I'm going with the M3P because it's a fun, fast, futuristic car, but there are a lot of things that I liked better about the 340i.

The beauty of competition is going to eventually drive Tesla to improve on their already stellar design. The 0-60 launch is invigorating, but eventually the market will demand more. We always do.

Reactions: XPsionic
As someone who manages our small racing team, has a M3P and a Spec Miata that I've watched blast by a Hellcat on a technical course, I think I'm qualified to say the Miata is more sports car than most out there. Usually people who don't admit that are not performance drivers and that's okay.

Attachments

• 57A3B16A-A7C6-47E6-9A3F-2C50533DA184.jpeg
    57A3B16A-A7C6-47E6-9A3F-2C50533DA184.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 74
Model 3 had the worst susp cabin noise of any car that I've ever driven, including cheap Toyotas. The Model Y performance had the worst suspension I've ever driven, worse than my old pickup truck. Sorry to say, but the new cars suck from the standpoint of driver enjoyment. I guess Elon just wants everyone to feel like they are in a $55k taxi.

Model 3 had the worst susp cabin noise of any car that I've ever driven, including cheap Toyotas. The Model Y performance had the worst suspension I've ever driven, worse than my old pickup truck. Sorry to say, but the new cars suck from the standpoint of driver enjoyment. I guess Elon just wants everyone to feel like they are in a $55k taxi.
That's not what most people are saying.

That's not what most people are saying.
I read that Tesla benchmarked the BMW 3-series for Model 3 suspension settings. European performance sedans tend to be pretty tightly sprung, and I find that with the Model 3. I also found even with the standard 18" all-seasons on the car, lowering the tire pressure to 39 psi (something Musk suggested) does soften up the ride, at the expense of some range and possibly tire longevity.

Comparing a 4 door family electric sedan to one of the best handling 2 door convertables in the World is unfair.

Porsche is a well built, but premium priced sports car with limited capabilities. It also does it's share of pollution and consumes poisionus gasoline. The feel fun to drive, but are not all that fast, especially compared with equilivent priced Model 3.

Reactions: fortunex