Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded test drives with my brother-in-law's Porsche Boxster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sports cars are sports cars, sports sedans are sports sedans.

I've driven boxers, but never owned one. For the price, there are many two seat cabs I would rather have. Porsche makes nice cars, but the fall short in raw performance if compared to other performance two seaters in their class (Corvette for example), and fall short in luxury when compared to others in their class (MB SLC for example). They are just expensive as hell unless you are willing to get the stripped down model without options, and when you get the options adding up, their price is more than something that will kill it on the road and/or track. My opinion obviously.

M3P is a sports sedan. When compared straight up to other sports sedans in the same price range, honestly, nothing even comes close to touching it. Performance wise it compares with an M3; price wise it compares with 340iM. It dominates the 340iM in performance, plain and simple. For me it was bang for buck... plus going electric is huge. My gas bill was 230-260 a month. My electric bill went up about 40 bucks. That doesn't begin to account for my savings of not having to get 2-3 oil changes a year to the tune of 100 bucks on my old 6.2L V8.

This car is an absolute winner.

Comparing a 4 door family electric sedan to one of the best handling 2 door convertables in the World is unfair.

Porsche is a well built, but premium priced sports car with limited capabilities. It also does it's share of pollution and consumes poisionus gasoline. The feel fun to drive, but are not all that fast, especially compared with equilivent priced Model 3.
I guess that's why there are so many drag race videos on YT of Teslas vs. everything else that's fast. The Tesla usually wins but probably because the opponent isn't being driven by someone that knows how to max it out. It doesn't take a whole lot of finesse to get the Tesla to max out.

Mahamilto posted while I was typing. My M3 is an SR+ that I compared to the Boxster. If it were an M3P it would have been no contest. I have no idea what a Boxster even costs new but I'm going to look now.

"Best" is an incredibly subjective term when it comes to grading cars. I ordered the M3P mainly because of the "cool" factor that goes along with the performance perks. As far as emissions, going green, and saving the earth, I've gotta tell you, that didn't really cross my mind. Before you yell at me for that, I think it's a compliment to Tesla, honestly. I LOVE muscle cars and exhaust notes, and the fact that I chose an EV is pretty surprising.

The other cars I was considering weren't always in the same family or class as the M3P, but they did other things well. I love the BMW 3 and 5 series sedans for their interiors and road manners. I love the new Cadillac CT5-V for it's muscle car feel and acoustics. Audi's are amazing cars, and even the Lexus ES350 felt extremely comfortable to me. Believe it or not, the car that almost earned my business was the Genesis (yes, the Genesis) G70 or G80. If you haven't seen or driven them, damn. Hyundai has come a LONG way.

All automobile message boards seem to have a segment of posters who defend their car like it's their Mother. I mean, I understand brand loyalty to some degree, but there's a reason why there are so many different cars, SUVs, and trucks on the road. I suspect in 5 years, there will be several tough competitors to Tesla on the market, and that's great news for me. I'm not loyal to any particular brand, and if the Ford, Audi, BMW, Acura, Lexus, or Genesis ring the bell, I'll certainly consider them.

Not brand loyal here either. That said, my last 3 cars before the M3P has LS based V8s (Corvette C5, Trailblazer SS, CTSV). Why? Bang for buck.

I like buying the most performance I can get for the price range I’m in... this time around I was looking in under 75k range... and honestly... nothing came close considering my priorities included 5 seats and AWD.

Im thrilled with what I got too... but I wouldn’t just 100% buy a Tesla next time blindly without looking at the competition. The Lucid looks pretty sick, and I bet Audi/BMW/MB and maybe even GM will be making some sick offerings by the time I’m in the market again. I do, however, expect Tesla to just keep getting better and better as well. Right now there is nothing available that sniffs an M3P for the combination of price, range, and performance.

Sports cars are sports cars, sports sedans are sports sedans.

I've driven boxers, but never owned one. For the price, there are many two seat cabs I would rather have. Porsche makes nice cars, but the fall short in raw performance if compared to other performance two seaters in their class (Corvette for example), and fall short in luxury when compared to others in their class (MB SLC for example). They are just expensive as hell unless you are willing to get the stripped down model without options, and when you get the options adding up, their price is more than something that will kill it on the road and/or track. My opinion obviously.

M3P is a sports sedan. When compared straight up to other sports sedans in the same price range, honestly, nothing even comes close to touching it. Performance wise it compares with an M3; price wise it compares with 340iM. It dominates the 340iM in performance, plain and simple. For me it was bang for buck... plus going electric is huge. My gas bill was 230-260 a month. My electric bill went up about 40 bucks. That doesn't begin to account for my savings of not having to get 2-3 oil changes a year to the tune of 100 bucks on my old 6.2L V8.

This car is an absolute winner.
In the comparisons I've seen the Model 3 P blows everything out of the water in terms of acceleration from a stop. However it is lacking in brakes and handling compared to it's contemporaries. If I remember, it barely beat out a much lower power Alfa in a slalom test. Batteries are really heavy, and even though they're very low to the ground, its still momentum that needs to be overcome.

Porsches shine on a racetrack. That's what they were designed for and that's where the other cars you mentioned fall short. I'm by no means a regular track day attendee, but the one that I did go to saw cars of all makes and models breaking down throughout the day - but not a single Porsche did. If you want a car you can drive to the track, spend the weekend driving it hard, and then drive it home without any issues - then you buy a Porsche.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
In the comparisons I've seen the Model 3 P blows everything out of the water in terms of acceleration from a stop. However it is lacking in brakes and handling compared to it's contemporaries. If I remember, it barely beat out a much lower power Alfa in a slalom test. Batteries are really heavy, and even though they're very low to the ground, its still momentum that needs to be overcome.

Porsches shine on a racetrack. That's what they were designed for and that's where the other cars you mentioned fall short. I'm by no means a regular track day attendee, but the one that I did go to saw cars of all makes and models breaking down throughout the day - but not a single Porsche did. If you want a car you can drive to the track, spend the weekend driving it hard, and then drive it home without any issues - then you buy a Porsche.
EVs, in general, are not there as far as track days. They may never be unless you install something in the track that recharges as you drive over it (which is, in theory, quite possible). As far as on road braking and handling, I stand by nothing IN ITS PRICE RANGE (meaning under 60k out the door) can touch it that has 4 doors.

I've read my fair share of tests too, and seen numerous people run the giuila quadrofilago, the M3 (BMW), and similar and the M3P is either close or beating them in all facets.

Take this as a prime example... https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alf...odel-3-vs-jaguar-i-pace-vs-alfa-romeo-giulia/

Thats not the giulia, but the quadrofilago. The M3P stopped shorter, beat it by 0.5 to 60, and lost by just 1.7s through a notoriously brutal course... and this was before the 5% power upgrade was released.

And the Quadrofilago base price? 76k

The baby giulia would have been embarrassed on that course.

Brake fade, yes, can be an issue, but one that can be remedied if needs be with pads etc.

Porsches do shine on the track, but I stand by the statement that dollar for dollar they are lacking. The ZO6 is a great track car... and way less dinero.

Speaking of the M3s rapid acceleration, that wonderful feature has saved my life a couple of times. I had to do some quick maneuvering and increase speed instantly when a large box fell off a pickup ahead of me. (The car between me and the truck had to run off the road into a ditch.) If I had been driving any other car, I don't see how I would have survived. And I did without a scratch to me or the car. IMO Tesla is the best hands down!

I’m lucky to own a 2018 Model 3 LR with acceleration boost and a 2017 Boxster S and I have often been asked which car I like better. When I first got the Model 3, it was really hard to choose which one I actually enjoyed driving more. But as the ”novelty” of having an EV waned, I found that the Boxster is ultimately the more fun car to drive. The Model 3 esp with the acceleration boost definitely feels and is very likely quicker if only for the fact that I can’t launch the Boxster like professional car testers can. But the Boxster’s handling and the fluidity in which the car drives are really really satisfying. The handling of my Model 3 feels artificial in comparison even though the Model 3 handles well. These are completely different cars with completely different applications so it really is comparing apples to oranges. For a daily driver, in my humble opinion, the Model 3 is by far the choice. But in terms of specialness, the Boxster. And for folks who deride the Boxster (Fredo, not a real Porsche), don’t take my word for it, most professional car reviewers favor that over a base 911 even the latest 992.

I’m lucky to own a 2018 Model 3 LR with acceleration boost and a 2017 Boxster S and I have often been asked which car I like better. When I first got the Model 3, it was really hard to choose which one I actually enjoyed driving more. But as the ”novelty” of having an EV waned, I found that the Boxster is ultimately the more fun car to drive. The Model 3 esp with the acceleration boost definitely feels and is very likely quicker if only for the fact that I can’t launch the Boxster like professional car testers can. But the Boxster’s handling and the fluidity in which the car drives are really really satisfying. The handling of my Model 3 feels artificial in comparison even though the Model 3 handles well. These are completely different cars with completely different applications so it really is comparing apples to oranges. For a daily driver, in my humble opinion, the Model 3 is by far the choice. But in terms of specialness, the Boxster. And for folks who deride the Boxster (Fredo, not a real Porsche), don’t take my word for it, most professional car reviewers favor that over a base 911 even the latest 992.
I don't disagree with you, and honestly, your comment is a compliment to Tesla. Look what it takes to "beat" a Model 3; a car and a technology that's in the fledging stages of development. The only cars that you hear mentioned as being more fun to drive are among the super elites of the automotive world. High end offerings from Porsche, Audi, BMW, and the beefiest US muscle cars.

As someone else mentioned in their response, a better question is what 4-door sedan that's suitable for daily driving in virtually all weather conditions compares to the Tesla M3? <crickets>

I don't disagree with you, and honestly, your comment is a compliment to Tesla. Look what it takes to "beat" a Model 3; a car and a technology that's in the fledging stages of development. The only cars that you hear mentioned as being more fun to drive are among the super elites of the automotive world. High end offerings from Porsche, Audi, BMW, and the beefiest US muscle cars.

As someone else mentioned in their response, a better question is what 4-door sedan that's suitable for daily driving in virtually all weather conditions compares to the Tesla M3? <crickets>
In the same price range. Nothing really if you account for the S4 and 340MXi being at minimum 56k with plenty of options left unchecked.

All three cars make the same lateral grip (0.95g on summer shoes) and the M3P flat kills them in a straight line. By a lot. Those are 12.3 1/4 mile at the absolute best I’ve seen.

The GLA45AMG 4matic is maybe the closest, but man is she ugly and again 56k before you check an options box. Also is dusted in a straight line and offers the same grip. More of a hatchback boy racer VW one off anyway tbh.

Nothing in this class (AWD, 4 doors, 56k) puts down mid to low 11s except the M3P. You could argue ICE cars are better on longer track days, well, they are at this point in history.

But as far as an AWD daily driver and street warrior. Good luck touching a M3 Tesla in the same price range. It just can’t be done. And that doesn’t factor in the gas and maintenance savings.

Gotta laugh at the argument that track performance and mountain switchback handling supersedes every other consideration.

As a 4 door vehicle, the amount of functional value within a M3 is insane compared to every other vehicle, in its class and beyond. Few vehicles from any other manufacturer ticks as many boxes across the entire functional value spectrum, from handling and acceleration, to functional space and esthetics, to fuel savings and intangibles.

The shortest way I can explain it, from an experiential perspective: stepping into a M3 for the first time (first Tesla) immediately felt like the "future." The stock movement of $TSLA finally made sense.

At the mall last week there was a Polestar (first time hearing about them). Sitting in the driver's seat, it felt like a BMW was trying to morph into a Tesla, but still stuck in the past.

In the same price range. Nothing really if you account for the S4 and 340MXi being at minimum 56k with plenty of options left unchecked.

All three cars make the same lateral grip (0.95g on summer shoes) and the M3P flat kills them in a straight line. By a lot. Those are 12.3 1/4 mile at the absolute best I’ve seen.

The GLA45AMG 4matic is maybe the closest, but man is she ugly and again 56k before you check an options box. Also is dusted in a straight line and offers the same grip. More of a hatchback boy racer VW one off anyway tbh.

Nothing in this class (AWD, 4 doors, 56k) puts down mid to low 11s except the M3P. You could argue ICE cars are better on longer track days, well, they are at this point in history.

But as far as an AWD daily driver and street warrior. Good luck touching a M3 Tesla in the same price range. It just can’t be done. And that doesn’t factor in the gas and maintenance savings.

On the other hand, I think later this year I'm going to give up some performance and regain comfort and luxury features with the Q4 e-tron, pending confirmation of available options and a test drive. It'll be the first time I've ever bought a new car that was slower than the previous, and by a wide margin I'm sure, but performance doesn't mean crap when most of my driving is in traffic.

I'll still have the Model 3 but it'll basically be the backup car.

Priorities my friend. I drive to work long before traffic comes up 90% of the time, abs take weekend trips through curvy backroads of CT and westchester to play golf on a lot of days I don’t work.

Im also one who is honestly in love with the minimalist M3 interior. The seats are comfy abs supportive enough. I’ll admit, if you want luxury other options exist. But in the sports sedans market (M3P owner here)... I take my Tesla everytime over anything under 60k that’s slated to be available in the next 6mo