Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shoutout to @BMax_V.2, who swapped his 20" induction wheels with my 21" uberturbines.

We had to change out the TPMS.

A247D638-39C2-443B-9571-62547B75CA65.jpeg
86654E68-2F94-423E-B6FD-A7AEAD58A81B.jpeg
33675819-D5BD-477E-A656-5E717DAFAC70.jpeg
2CEA20CB-1C6D-44D2-BEB4-9207483F8E58.jpeg

Yeah, the current software doesn't have the "reset sensor" option. And the Model Y TPMS sensors are different from the 3s so the shop wasn't able to use their tool to scan it. Supposedly it's using bluetooth now?

Did you try driving for ~10 minutes so that it could learn the new sensors like the manual says?

After replacing one or more wheels (but not
after replacing a tire), the TPMS sensors are
relearned to ensure tire pressure warnings are
accurate. TPMS sensors reset automatically
within 10 minutes of driving over 15 mph.

So you never tried to learn the new wheels before the TPMS units were swapped?

Nope, the shop just recommended that we swap the TPMS since there was no option to do the reset sensor like on the 3s, there's a chance for the cars to throw errors. The guy compared his own model 3's settings with our Ys' and found certain settings were missing so we just went ahead with the TPMS swap.

Now that you changed from the 21 to 20 on the PUP , can you give some details on the ride difference

Quality/noise/rough/smooth etc.......

I’m trying to figure out if going with the pup with the sport suspension affects the ride quality or does the wheel more affect it and then the difference in ride between the wheels...

Many thanks

Now that you changed from the 21 to 20 on the PUP , can you give some details on the ride difference

Quality/noise/rough/smooth etc.......

I’m trying to figure out if going with the pup with the sport suspension affects the ride quality or does the wheel more affect it and then the difference in ride between the wheels...

Many thanks

so far I drove on the 20" for about 40 miles, about 90% of the drive was on the freeway.

First thing I noticed is the noise, the bumps sounded a bit louder coming from the back in the 20s. I also notice a lot more wind noise on the freeway, I didn't noticed that with the PUP wheels, perhaps the PUP wheels' noise drowned it out or I had my music turned up too loud before or the 20"s are more quiet so I noticed the additional noises. I will have to test that out more without music playing in the background. I think I heard more deep rumbles coming from the 21" on the freeway before.

Ride quality wise, the 20"s definitely took the bumps around my house better, it felt smoother and feels lighter, doesn't feel quite as stiff. Grip wise I don't feel a difference since the car is pretty heavy. I punched it down a couple times around certain corners and the car handled it just fine.

Aesthetically, i prefer the black induction color over the PUP's dark grayish color, looks better imo especially on my white car. The 21" with the low profile tires looks great but I think the 20" inductions fits the car the best.

I think the difference between PUP and the 19" will be significant. I hope someone can give some insights to that if they go from PUP to 19s.

I wish Tesla gave the performance buyers the option to choose the induction wheel during the ordering process, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Thanks again to @BMax_V.2 for swapping the wheels with me.