Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you ask Tesla to make this change? Got some aftermarket 20" wheels as well, not too critical for me though as I had the 19" Gemini wheels before.

Make an appointment through Tesla app. Schedule Service > Accessories > Tire Swap.

Do mobile service, select the earliest time. Tell them you got 20 inch wheels, you did a swap. Use a pic of induction wheels (since they're denying aftermarket for some reason).

They'll push it through.

But in your case, you're right, the rated range for 19" and 20" is the same at 315mi so it won't make a difference for you.

Swapping the sensors without dismounting is easy on higher profile tires like the S’s 45/19’s or X’s 45/20’s but on the Y’s very low profile and wide 275/35R21’s it gets much more difficult. I wouldn’t expect a shop to fool around with very wide and low profile tires. I own a couple tire machines and if you are careful it’s not a big deal to pop off the tire. I would however say that the car would relearn the new sensor and the shop wasn’t familiar because many people have already been swapping Model Y wheels without issues, that’s definitely more "easy peasy"

The sensors do relearn but the car still thinks it has the original size wheel. Model 3s give the users the ability to change wheel sizes in their software but Model Ys don't have that option yet.

Even when I swapped the wheels snd tires, my car still thought I had the 21" Uberturbines with a rated 280 miles range so my data was a bit skewed, in a positive way. My car thought I am driving at over 100% in efficiency when in reality I was driving 80-85% in efficiency with the 20" wheels on a epa rating of 280miles instead of 315miles.

I think most people swap the wheels won't care too much about the data if they're not looking at the numbers. The car won't throw errors, just the range and efficiency data number won't be accurate for them until they can change to their wheel size on their car.

Reactions: frankvb
How did you ask Tesla to make this change? Got some aftermarket 20" wheels as well, not too critical for me though as I had the 19" Gemini wheels before.

I called and talked to the service supervisor and when they asked, I was honest. I guess I could have lied about it but I really don't know what the big deal is. They let you swap the sizes on the Model 3 so why not on the Y? Seems ridiculous...

Reactions: frankvb and jwuwu
To anyone else trading complete wheels/tires. You do not have to swap TPMS sensors!

Just swap the wheels, drive for 5-10 mins and the TPMS will show up as normal. It's all automatic, nothing to 'reset' nothing to do. I believe this is part of the move to BT TPMS sensors which simplifies it greatly!
Well.... if only @jwuwu and I knew of this. I guess us two were the first guinea pigs.

• Funny
Reactions: 5280mcs and jwuwu

Make an appointment in App, pick a different Service Center. That is how I got my wheel config changed - they called me, did not ask for a picture, updated OTA.

Another instance. One Service Center did not want to program my DiY installed HomeLink module on my Y. Tried Another Service Center, and was successful - just have to try a different route sometimes.

Those of you looking to trade your Ubers... are they that bad? I love the way they look, so I actually went and bought a set of them for 2K. They are sitting in my garage as I wait for my Y. I plan on using the Geminis during the winter if I can't sell the Geminis. If I could go back in time I would have just got the inductions but this was before Tesla lowered the price 3grand which would have allowed me to get the inductions and my NJ tax rebate.

The cost for programming/installation is included in the purchase price.
If ordered from their online store and delivered to you. There was a thread about somebody getting charged for installation and the fine print was that installation was included if bought online, not if you buy at the SC, or something like that. Just order online, do not open the box once you get it, and schedule apt with local SC to get installed for no extra charge, you already paid for that when you bought it online.

Those of you looking to trade your Ubers... are they that bad? I love the way they look, so I actually went and bought a set of them for 2K. They are sitting in my garage as I wait for my Y. I plan on using the Geminis during the winter if I can't sell the Geminis. If I could go back in time I would have just got the inductions but this was before Tesla lowered the price 3grand which would have allowed me to get the inductions and my NJ tax rebate.

They're not bad, they look great. I don't think they'd hold up that well when I plan to do a lot of road trips and the potholes around my area are pretty gnarly. I also don't care for the staggered setup. I think it's a good idea to keep the geminis for the winter and for trips.

I'm thinking about going down to 19s down the line, those satin black Martian wheels looking pretty good imo. Gonna wait to see in November when black friday/cyber monday comes around.