Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading a 2020 Model S for a 2022 Refresh MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm intrigued by the refreshed Model S, and am seriously considering selling my current 2020 Model S LR (blue with white interior, FSD) so I can order a new one. I thought I'd get some thoughts and advice from this amazing forum to help me in my decision.

Background: I bought my 2020 MS in March of 2020, just as the pandemic was hitting. It was a demo model with 600 miles, and I got a pretty good discount on it at the time (paid $78k). I added FSD shortly after that for $7k, and I did buy the extended warranty during the initial period for $4200. So I have about $85,000 invested at this point.

I did have the car ceramic coated, had the windows tinted, and added a clear bra to the front end. I've been loving the car ever since, and it now has 12k miles. I've had a few minor problems with it that the service center here has been able to resolve (mostly). I had the rattling on full throttle problem, but now have new half-shafts and the problem seems to be gone. I've had an intermittent problem with my driver's seat wiring harness that the service center has tried 3 times to fix. It just cropped up again, and now the service center has agreed to install a brand new driver's seat for me (on order right now), which is very cool!

There's a local dealership here that specializes in buying and selling used Teslas, and the owner just told me he'd be happy to buy my Tesla from me for $77,500. This seems to be a really strong offer (Tesla offered $63k to buy the car from me).

If I buy a new 2022 MS, I'd probably configure it the same as my current one (blue exterior, white interior, standard wheels) at a cost of $83,490 (without FSD) or $93,490 (with FSD). I'm really torn about whether I'd order the FSD again... The only current FSD feature I enjoy is the lane changes via the turn signal. That is obviously not worth $10k to me. But I've been anxiously awaiting the new v11 that is supposed to be a lot better, and I do have a certain amount of FOMO if I sell the car now and the new version of FSD comes out and is amazing!

So what's the consensus on if this would be a smart move or not (I realize only I can decide that, just fishing for other thoughts/opinions)? If I skip FSD, I can have a brand new MS for my car plus around $6k, which seems very attractive to me.

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions on this!

That's a pretty good offer and if you wanted to wait out FSD until v11, you could always add it later which should be the same cost. I'd also think about the cost off adding on the other additions you did to that total price such as clear bra, ceramic, etc. The other option is to wait about a year and see if you could get a used refresh once the honeymoon phase wears off for some owners.

If a dealer is offering $77k, that tells me a private sale would be several thousand dollars more.
Have you checked the Tesla website to see what comparable used cars like yours are selling for there?

Due to inventory shortages and other factors, this is an excellent time to be selling a used car. Strike while the iron is hot as new and used inventories should start to return to normal soon and as that happens, prices/values will drop.

As far as pricing on the new MS, don't forget to include the $1,200 destination and doc fee. The actual retail price for your configuration would be $84,690 (without FSD) or $94,690 (with FSD).

Regarding FSD, a subscription option is now expected to be officially announced next month which might be worth considering if you are on the fence with FSD.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I went ahead and placed an order for a 2022 Model S! I went with Blue/White/Standard Wheels/no FSD (for now). With destination fees, it was $84,690 total. I'm still going to think about it briefly, as I'm really only out $100 if I decide to stick with my current Model S.

I tend to agree with others here who have noted how insanely high used car prices are right now, and how it makes good sense to "strike while the iron's hot..." I'm really happy with my 2020 MS, and I know I'll love some of the new 2022 features even more (cooled seats, active noise cancelation, rear seat entertainment, unique yoke wheel, etc.). I'm still on the fence about the "vaporware" FSD package. I'm an early adopter in general, and do love the technology!

The immediate decision I do need to make is whether to go ahead now with the sale of my car to the local dealer (for $77,500). He had offered me $72k for it about 3 months ago, and he really wants my car (likely has a buyer all lined up to pay $80k+ for it). If I wait a while, that offer might head back down... I will be without a Tesla for 3-4 months (optimistically, based on the order estimate of Sep-Oct delivery of the new MS), but I do have a nice new Silverado pickup and a beautiful Lexus SC430 convertible (and several motorcycles) to drive until the new MS arrives, so I won't be without wheels.

Thanks for the advice -- keep it coming as I'm trying to finalize my decision!

Reactions: GSP and SilverGS
Well, I just watched my 2020 MS LR drive off! The dealer who bought it sent his guys to come pick it up, and the paperwork is done! That was fast! I truly love that car, but I'm confident I'll love buy 2022 even more! And now I'll be anxiously awaiting updates and really looking forward to seeing my new car in person! Hoping to pick up my new one in October sometime! Thanks for everyone's opinion!

Great move! You sold pretty close to the peak of the market.
That's really what it feels like to me! I'm lucky enough to own other cars I can drive until my new Model S gets delivered this fall, and I'm really happy by how much my 2020 was worth to the dealer!

It seems crazy to me that I can sell a 2020 LR for $77.5K and buy a 2020 refresh model for under $85k... The newer model has a lot of new features that I'm looking forward to, and some I'm simply curious about.

I'm a classic early adopter, and I have faith that the unique features of new Model S will prove to be easy to learn and very cool! Things like the lack of stalks, the predictive gear selection, the yoke steering wheel... I'm also really curious about the active noise cancelation features of the audio system.

That's one of my complaints about my current/previous Model S - the road noise was a lot louder than in my previous Lexus LS600hL. I'm hoping the active noise cancellation helps make the highway ride a bit more "Lexus-like." We'll see!

You'll come out more ahead too. I saved on insurance for a while. My car tags were up for renewal and more. That is the way I looked at it when I sold our Acura. It was 2 years old and I lost 3k over that time. It was a no brainer. The biggest issue losing the Acura was no tow vehicle for a while.

I am looking forward to a lot of things on the MS but not the yoke wheel. For me that will be a big miss. Hopefully they won't get the radar by the time my S gets here like they did on my MY.

Due to inventory shortages and other factors, this is an excellent time to be selling a used car. Strike while the iron is hot as new and used inventories should start to return to normal soon and as that happens, prices/values will drop.

As far as pricing on the new MS, don't forget to include the $1,200 destination and doc fee. The actual retail price for your configuration would be $84,690 (without FSD) or $94,690 (with FSD).

Regarding FSD, a subscription option is now expected to be officially announced next month which might be worth considering if you are on the fence with FSD.
where is the official annoucment that FSD subscription is expected next month?

where is the official annoucment that FSD subscription is expected next month?

According to the article below, Tesla is expected to announce next month official details regarding the FSD subscription. Whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen.

I'm intrigued by the refreshed Model S, and am seriously considering selling my current 2020 Model S LR (blue with white interior, FSD) so I can order a new one. I thought I'd get some thoughts and advice from this amazing forum to help me in my decision.

Background: I bought my 2020 MS in March of 2020, just as the pandemic was hitting. It was a demo model with 600 miles, and I got a pretty good discount on it at the time (paid $78k). I added FSD shortly after that for $7k, and I did buy the extended warranty during the initial period for $4200. So I have about $85,000 invested at this point.

I did have the car ceramic coated, had the windows tinted, and added a clear bra to the front end. I've been loving the car ever since, and it now has 12k miles. I've had a few minor problems with it that the service center here has been able to resolve (mostly). I had the rattling on full throttle problem, but now have new half-shafts and the problem seems to be gone. I've had an intermittent problem with my driver's seat wiring harness that the service center has tried 3 times to fix. It just cropped up again, and now the service center has agreed to install a brand new driver's seat for me (on order right now), which is very cool!

There's a local dealership here that specializes in buying and selling used Teslas, and the owner just told me he'd be happy to buy my Tesla from me for $77,500. This seems to be a really strong offer (Tesla offered $63k to buy the car from me).

If I buy a new 2022 MS, I'd probably configure it the same as my current one (blue exterior, white interior, standard wheels) at a cost of $83,490 (without FSD) or $93,490 (with FSD). I'm really torn about whether I'd order the FSD again... The only current FSD feature I enjoy is the lane changes via the turn signal. That is obviously not worth $10k to me. But I've been anxiously awaiting the new v11 that is supposed to be a lot better, and I do have a certain amount of FOMO if I sell the car now and the new version of FSD comes out and is amazing!

So what's the consensus on if this would be a smart move or not (I realize only I can decide that, just fishing for other thoughts/opinions)? If I skip FSD, I can have a brand new MS for my car plus around $6k, which seems very attractive to me.

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions on this!
Why wait for the 2022? If history is our guide any difference from the ‘21 will be available via software updates.

I find it amazing that your new car had to be in the service center that much and you want to buy another one. Classic early adopter indeed. And that you are impressed they are replacing the seat that they can't fix. That just shows their incompetence.
And now you are getting a first year model of something that is mostly a good deal because you are not foolish enough to give them $10k for some software party tricks.

This whole thread is tempting me to sell my 2021 LR+ and opt for a 2022 LR... wonder how much I would be able to sell my LR+ for. Anyways congrats on the sale of your old car and the purchase of the new one I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it :)