Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading a tesla 3 for another tesla : [not happy with teslas offer]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That article does not appear to reflect reality.

It's based on real world sales from over 2.6 million cars sold between August 2020 and mid-March 2021.

Not sure how that doesn't reflect reality.

Additionally, comparisons to other makes can also be misleading as most new cars sell at a discount whereas new Teslas are typically sold at full retail. If a new Tesla retails for $50k and sells for $50k and is listed for sale for $42k, that's 84% of new retail. If a new [fill in the blank make/model] retails for $55k and sells for $50k and is listed for sale for $42k, that’s 76% of new retail. In this example, the Tesla appears to hold its value nearly 11% (84%/76%) better yet the actual cash value drop in resale from purchase price is the same ($8k for both). The Tesla resale looks to be a lot better but it isn't.

While your point suggests depreciation % might be lower than the data suggests on NON Tesla cars- it does nothing to alter the depreciation % observed on Teslas, since as you point out, they're all sold at full retail.

(and comparing dollar amount of depreciation, rather than %, makes no sense at all.... a $100,000 car depreciation of 8k is vastly vastly different than a 25k car doing so)

Thanks to all for your inputs. Very helpful.
To the guy that suggests I am troller or irrational, all I will say is that posing a question to folks that surely know more than I do seems rational and expressing frustration at something after genuinely purchasing two Teslas is no troll. But I will leave it there.

I also thought, may be naively, that an EV, not having an ICE, would retain its value better. EV Cars lose value right off the lot, of course and probably by the same amount as an ICE. Trading from a tesla to another tesla in a few years is the idea I had in mind not after a year or two of ownership. I was checking trade in values just to know. The more years of ownership the less depreciation vs an ICE I would think based on the sheer complexity of maintaining the systems and wear and tear of an ICE. Nasty :) So what I will do when the time comes of trading the tesla for potentially another tesla is definitely go elsewhere if tesla lowballs me as it seems they often do

It's based on real world sales from over 2.6 million cars sold between August 2020 and mid-March 2021.

Not sure how that doesn't reflect reality.
If they are claiming that the average asking price for all used 2019 and 2020 M3s were only 2.1% less than new then it’s not based on reality. Somewhere, somehow their new car numbers or equipment comparisons or some sort of data is off. Onlyusedtesla.com listings, offerings from Tesla, etc. show asking prices significantly less on average than just 2.1% off.

While your point suggests depreciation % might be lower than the data suggests on NON Tesla cars- it does nothing to alter the depreciation % observed on Teslas, since as you point out, they're all sold at full retail.

(and comparing dollar amount of depreciation, rather than %, makes no sense at all.... a $100,000 car depreciation of 8k is vastly vastly different than a 25k car doing so)
My hypothetical example was comparing cars with identical selling prices ($50k in this case) and not a $100k car against a $25k car. The purpose was to show that resale value percentages based on original MSRP can be very misleading when comparing a car typically sold at full MSRP, like Tesla, against one typically sold at a discount. A more appropriate comparison would be based on purchase price, not MSRP. In my example, Tesla's resale was a misleadingly high 84% versus the other car's 76%. If the resale was based on purchase price instead, both car's would be identical at 76% and that would better reflect the actual cash value loss to each owner.

This sort of thing also happened back in the 1990s with Saturn. Saturn enthusiasts bragged about the car's resale value versus other makes but it was based on misleading percentages for the same reason as above. Saturns typically sold new at full MSRP, at least in their early years, while other cars sold at a discount and therefore comparing the two percentages could lead to inaccurate conclusions unfairly favoring the car selling at MSRP.

All I can say is last June when one of my year old 3’s was totaled the comps from the insurance company for comparable used cars in my area we’re HIGHER than purchasing a new one from Tesla. So when people come back with results if seeming too high resale value on used Tesla its sometimes correct.

One of the things that frustrates me about TMC (both as a regular user and as a volunteer moderator) is how some people "weaponize" the disagree button (or think the disagree button is for "I dont like this factual information so I will click disagree)".
Where is the disagree button that is “weaponized?” I have a thumbs up button only but if you can help I would like to use the disagree button on you.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and LionXng
I also thought, may be naively, that an EV, not having an ICE, would retain its value better. EV Cars lose value right off the lot, of course and probably by the same amount as an ICE. Trading from a tesla to another tesla in a few years is the idea I had in mind not after a year or two of ownership. I was checking trade in values just to know. The more years of ownership the less depreciation vs an ICE I would think based on the sheer complexity of maintaining the systems and wear and tear of an ICE. Nasty :) So what I will do when the time comes of trading the tesla for potentially another tesla is definitely go elsewhere if tesla lowballs me as it seems they often do
To be honest, I *personally* (so my opinion) think that the Tesla used car value won't hold up over time (compared to the way it is right now). There seems to bit of "FOMO" going on with Tesla used car pricing... people want in, but worry that if they don't buy now, they will somehow miss out. I would personally not pay a 2-3 thousand dollars less for a 1 year old car with thousands of miles on it, I'd rather buy a new one, but someone clearly is buying it. I also think these "early generations" of EV value won't hold up since battery degradation is a fact. The fuel tank on an ICE vehicle does not get smaller over time and properly maintained ICE can last 150-200k mile with little wear to the engine itself (not debating cost of maintenance in this post).

But in the mean time, no reason to think and worry about it. Enjoy the car. I LOVE the fact that I am TRUELY saving $ per mile to drive. And I love the effortless acceleration and the entire experience, miss aligned door and all. So drive on, enjoy it, don't sweat it!

As a totally random aside about used car value and how crazy it is right now. I bought 2017 MX-5 RF last April, since I was bored. I paid $21,700 before taxes, fees, and shipping. This morning I sold it to Carvana for $23,650. One year an 5,000 miles later. Crazy. I really didn't want to sell it because it is a beautiful car and a fun ride. But I want to buy a Model 3 later this year and really with a 11 month old, it wasn't all that practical haha. But used car prices are indeed insane right now.

Reactions: Albert E
Have you checked with Carvana…….
Have you checked with Carvana…….
No, but will definitely do once I am ready to sell the car. No plans right now. Just wanted to see what I would get if I were to upgrade to another tesla in a few years. Having just bought a model Y for my wife I was concerned that I would be in a similar situation if she wanted to upgrade in a few years

trade In value and it was just 30% lower than what I paid. I was furious as I could have leased instead if the depreciation was like that. Not even an ICE car is like that.
lol. just 30% in 2 yrs and 14k miles is *better* than any mercedes or bmw.... also: trading in with Tesla is great for saving sales tax but not so great for the trade in value... carmax and carvana pay more

No, but will definitely do once I am ready to sell the car. No plans right now. Just wanted to see what I would get if I were to upgrade to another tesla in a few years. Having just bought a model Y for my wife I was concerned that I would be in a similar situation if she wanted to upgrade in a few years

if you had "no plans right now" then you really kind of wasted your time, because whatever the value is right now has zero to do with whatever it might or might not be "in a few years".

its not like depreciation for a vehicle is set in stone at the time you buy it. Some cars have a known depreciation scale (like most BMW / Audi / Mercedes are worth roughly 50% of MSRP at the 3 year mark), but even then it changes depending on new models, what people feel about the old model (in some cases people like the old one better, so its worth more, in others , they like it less, so its worth less).

Unless you were ready to sell now (which now you say you were not), its a pretty worthless exercise to get trade in values "because" right now, for a car you are thinking about selling "in a few years".

Reactions: JDMerica
Tesla offered me 25k. Carvana gave me 35,248.

• Informative
Reactions: jeremymc7