Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading a tesla 3 for another tesla : [not happy with teslas offer]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is normal. When you purchased your new Tesla, you paid a retail price.
When you want to trade it back to Tesla, they can only offer you a wholesale price.

If you really want to know how much depreciation you have, then you need to sell your car, by yourself, in the retail market. This is the real depreciation.

Depreciation should also take into consideration any tax credits, rebates etc you gained on your initial pruchase.

When I privately sold my original Model X, I actually made money, due to all the tax credits, rebates and depreciation I was able to take.
Agreed. I bought my used Tesla from a website called "only used tesla.com". (am I allowed to post links to something like this)?

Someone selling a used Tesla to the retail market isn't going to have to mark it up to make a profit. They will sell for less than a dealer, but get more than a dealer would offer them.

Reactions: JimBob 909
Tesla will only give you what your car is worth to them. Trade ins have traditionally been the worst deal you can get. I always try and sell my vehicles to various different buyers and usually I end up getting thousands more than the trade in value. Trade ins need to be profitable for the dealer and so it will hardly ever be the best deal you can get from anyone. At this time I do not think Tesla really wants to waste their time with trade ins based on all the deliveries they are trying to make of new cars. They only have so many staff members and the used car side is pretty low margin, especially if they are taking them to auction rather than refurbishing and selling them on their own lots.

Is everyone seeing a spike in used car prices these days? Dealers don’t have enough inventory on their lots and M3 SR+ models are selling way over msrp.
Yes. It's been all over the new for months., nearly two years in some cases.

Numerous of my friends and coworkers are getting calls from their dealers who they purchased from even two or more years ago to buy back they're used care more more than they paid. Even non Telsa's, and none EV's.

I sold my Tesla pushed Dec 2019 in May 2020 shorty after the pandemic started and well before chip shortages and port delays for $5000 more than I paid. I then immediately put in an order for Tesla for another one and expected to wait 6 months, and was fine with the wait since the whole house was work from home by that point. Funny enough I got a call from Tesla a month later in June 2020 it was ready.

Once of the (many) things that really pushed the prices up was the car rental companies selling off all their cars during pandemic when it was clear no one was going anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Yes. It's been all over the new for months., nearly two years in some cases.

Numerous of my friends and coworkers are getting calls from their dealers who they purchased from even two or more years ago to buy back they're used care more more than they paid. Even non Telsa's, and none EV's.

I sold my Tesla pushed Dec 2019 in May 2020 shorty after the pandemic started and well before chip shortages and port delays for $5000 more than I paid. I then immediately put in an order for Tesla for another one and expected to wait 6 months, and was fine with the wait since the whole house was work from home by that point. Funny enough I got a call from Tesla a month later in June 2020 it was ready.

Once of the (many) things that really pushed the prices up was the car rental companies selling off all their cars during pandemic when it was clear no one was going anywhere anytime soon.
Amazing. Yes …supply/demand economics ar it’s best.

It must be getting worst going into 2022 goven the amount of chips now required in modern cars and especially EV’s. I’m up in Toronto and we have a massive Ford plant nearby with thousands of F150/Explorers already manufactured and sitting outside unable to run without microchips. X that by every manuf amd recipe for massive supply shortage still to come.

Myself I purchased on my corp a new 21’ red/blk M3 SR+ in aug for 55k tax in (cnd $ so around $43k usd) and a Chrysler dealer came to me last week after 3 months and 5k miles driven and offered me 62.8k plus our 13% tax which my Corp recovers… so 71k Cnd (57.75 usd) in my hand. That’s literally 14k usd profit on a used car of only 3 months?? I ordered the LR M3 for Jan delivery right as the SR+ offer came and luckily beat the new price hike.

This market is absolutely bonkers for used cars. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️