Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading an S in for a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I am a first day, first 10 minutes, non tesla owner, 3 reservation holder in PA. I was going to order a base model 3, but I was very disappointed to see Tesla put corporate profits above customer satisfaction by not making any small battery 3's until 2019.

So I changed my account preference to a big battery, although I'm not sure I will actually get one. We will see when I get the configuration email.

In the meantime, I have been considering getting a CPO S 60 to have a Tesla now, then when and if I place an order for a 3, I presume I can trade the S in on the 3.

How does Tesla handle these kinds of trade ins, are there any special concerns, etc?

I am a first day, first 10 minutes, non tesla owner, 3 reservation holder in PA. I was going to order a base model 3, but I was very disappointed to see Tesla put corporate profits above customer satisfaction by not making any small battery 3's until 2019.

So I changed my account preference to a big battery, although I'm not sure I will actually get one. We will see when I get the configuration email.

In the meantime, I have been considering getting a CPO S 60 to have a Tesla now, then when and if I place an order for a 3, I presume I can trade the S in on the 3.

How does Tesla handle these kinds of trade ins, are there any special concerns, etc?
That’s what I did. Bought a CPO S 60 in Dec. 2016. Got my M3 this week (love this car). On the trade in Tesla lowballed. CarMax offered $2600 more than Tesla and Carvana offered $5500 more than Tesla. Tesla obviously did not want my trade in and they would not match CarMax offer. Something else to consider is the taxes and fees you will pay on each purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing

This decision is likely to be more about the survival of the company than "profits". At the rate Tesla is expanding, it is not making a profit.

Reactions: bonaire and Zythryn
Finally spoke to someone at the local store today, they said I could get $10,200 for my trade in. Hmmm, need about another $1500 to pay off its loan. They said something about getting my car inspected at a local garage, its sticker does run out this month anyway. I wonder what's the chances that they will raise their offer enough to me to trade it off with a zero balance if I am getting a CPO S?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
If you were first 10 minutes, you should have a mar-may delivery estimate. That's a lot of hassle for a few months. Unless you plan to wait for the standard range.

Yes, I am waiting for the standard battery. I don't feel the extra range is worth the price, and I certainly don't need an extra $500 worth of interior crap that Tesla is charging $5000 for to make more profits off of me. I can wait.

Reactions: dhanson865
Yes, I am waiting for the standard battery. I don't feel the extra range is worth the price, and I certainly don't need an extra $500 worth of interior crap that Tesla is charging $5000 for to make more profits off of me. I can wait.
I appreciate waiting for the 9K reduction (will have 90 miles less, will charge slower and most likely won't last as long as LR d/t battery degradation characteristics) but I think the 5K PUP is worth more than $500. It's a center console, glass roof with header, upgraded stereo system, wood dash and leather seats that are heated; I would estimate that is more in the 3K range at cost to them but I could be wrong.

I appreciate waiting for the 9K reduction (will have 90 miles less, will charge slower and most likely won't last as long as LR d/t battery degradation characteristics) but I think the 5K PUP is worth more than $500. It's a center console, glass roof with header, upgraded stereo system, wood dash and leather seats that are heated; I would estimate that is more in the 3K range at cost to them but I could be wrong.

My analysis of the interior PUP based on my needs:

Center console - I don't care.
Glass roof - I don't want it.
Upgraded stereo - it doesn't play Sirius channels, so I can't listen to Howard Stern without putting in my own Sirius receiver, so it is useless to me.
Wood dash - I don't care.
Leather seats - I don't care.
Heated seats - I can live without them for $5000.

My analysis of the interior PUP based on my needs:

Center console - I don't care.
Glass roof - I don't want it.
Upgraded stereo - it doesn't play Sirius channels, so I can't listen to Howard Stern without putting in my own Sirius receiver, so it is useless to me.
Wood dash - I don't care.
Leather seats - I don't care.
Heated seats - I can live without them for $5000.

Totally agree with you. It is 100% a personal decision, just was saying seems like valued over $500 that is all. Enjoy it when you get it!!

All of this is definitely worth $5,000 (IMO)

Premium Upgrades
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones

On the Trade in issue. We need to understand that Tesla is not like a car dealership, where they can afford to offer you more for your trade because they make it up on the end of the deal. Meaning the price of your new car goes up, you dont get the buy down interest rates. Tesla prices are fixed so they have no room to wiggle. Yes I believe Tesla does not really want to deal with a trade in. I know this for a fact, cause I have configured my model 3 with a trade in option and still waiting for a call or even an assigned VIN. My buddy and I both configured our car on the same day at the same time He had no trade in , I did. Well as of today I still havent heard from them. But my Buddy has a delivery date of 02-23-2018

These are the first cars, so along with Model S/X, are funding that full line startup to get to the point where multiple configurations.
So in way yes it is making sure that they make enough profit to keep producing cars - that's how business works.
Just like they released dual motor, AP1 etc etc long after Model S was in production.
I boggles my mind that people expect everything on day one and completely ignore the need for Tesla to stay in business.

I've got a CPO S and I love it. I'm wrestling hard with whether to trade it in for a dual motor all wheel drive 3 or not, but I probably can't afford both. I was wondering the same thing about price, because my current loan has such low interest.

The problem is that now that I have an S, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to adjust to the smaller 3. On the other had, mine is a 2013 model without AP

All of this is definitely worth $5,000 (IMO)

Premium Upgrades
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones

* Heated seats, worth every penny especially if I can't get a heated steering wheel
* Rear USB ports are nice
* premium audio (11 or 12 speakers I think), nice but I don't know what the lower audio system is like or how many speakers are deleted to get there.
* Glass roof, I'd rather have the metal roof, but it's not a strong preference I'd take either.
* Auto dimming side mirrors I'd like, folding is good, heated I don't care.
* the rest don't matter to me.

So for the seats and mirrors I want the package, there are others I'm OK with or slightly like but those are the two things that stand out for me.

I can see why people balk at it being one large $5,000 package. Leave everything in the $5000 package and make a Cold winter package that has the seats and mirrors and I'd do that instead.

Toss a heated steering wheel in and I'm more likely to go for whatever package that is in.

I almost reserved first day, waffled for a while then bought an S and ecstatic over that decision especially after seeing a M3 in the SC the other day. Now I'm waiting for P85D's to come down a bit more
Stream Sirius the App on your phone, works perfectly.. Enjoy whichever car you get.

I did the same as others on this thread. As a day one, in-store reservation holder, I decided I could get a used Model S for what I would pay for a Model 3 optioned the way I’d want it. Only I could do that well ahead of when I’d get my Model 3. So in the summer of 2016 I bought a loaded 2012 P85, and I’m so glad I did. Wow, what a car! My original plan was to trade it in or sell it once the Model 3 arrived, but I just couldn’t part with it when the time came. :( This doesn’t mean I disliked the Model 3; it is an awesome car, and it’s better in some ways than the Model S. I love driving them both! So what did we do,...we sold my wife’s car instead and put her in the Model 3. Now I can drive either one anytime I want, almost. She’s now hooked on the 3.:D