Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in 2018 Model 3 LR AWD for 2016 Model X P90D...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I currently have a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with about 32k miles on it without FSD. I owe ~$31k on the car but the trade in is ~$35k. Ive always wanted a Model X due to it being the largest car Tesla makes and all of the unique features it possesses. So I came across a 2016 P90D Model X with ~45k miles on it for $55k. Its for sale from a Honda dealership and the car has 2 open recalls. The recalls are the eMMC controller and the bolts from the steering assist motor. Tesla should be able to fix both issues if I do decide to purchase the vehicle. Please correct me I'm wrong about these recalls! The car has premium 22 wheels, all white premium interior with the 6 seats option. The million dollar question is, do I pull the trigger on this or do I save myself the headache and avoid this car?

Reactions: Aaron14902
Hey Steve, welcome to the forum!

Tesla must fix all open recalls if your car qualifies. Look up your VIN here.

The eMMC controller is just a replacement of that one component. From what I understand, it will not make your infotainment system any faster. 2016s will come with MCU1. Coming from a M3, you're gonna hate how slow is MCU1... Everything takes forever: from selecting a radio station to voice commands. You can upgrade to MCU2 but it's $1,500 (and totally worth it!!). So if system response is important to you, you'd have to factor that into the cost of the car.

Also, from a new pre-owned MX owner, I wouldn't recommend an MX without a warranty. I've had my car for a month and a half and it's been to the shop twice already. One of them being a loud A/C motor. I can't imagine what that would cost to fix out of warranty.

Here are some things that I'm learning seem to be common issues with Model X. Look them up on the forum, lots of posts about them:

- Acceleration shudder
- Loud A/C motor
- FWD seals disintegrating
- Front drive units go bad

GLWTP!

Jose

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Upvote 0
Honestly?

I have a late 2018 X (which i love) and had a late 2014 S before (loved it), but if i where in your shoes i would pass the 2016 X and keep the 3 for now.
Unless you urgently really need the interior space the X offers and don't need or care about range, just keep the 3 and wait until you can get a more recent X.

Reactions: jboy210
Upvote 0
OK so I currently have a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with about 32k miles on it without FSD. I owe ~$31k on the car but the trade in is ~$35k. Ive always wanted a Model X due to it being the largest car Tesla makes and all of the unique features it possesses. So I came across a 2016 P90D Model X with ~45k miles on it for $55k. Its for sale from a Honda dealership and the car has 2 open recalls. The recalls are the eMMC controller and the bolts from the steering assist motor. Tesla should be able to fix both issues if I do decide to purchase the vehicle. Please correct me I'm wrong about these recalls! The car has premium 22 wheels, all white premium interior with the 6 seats option. The million dollar question is, do I pull the trigger on this or do I save myself the headache and avoid this car?

why do you want to switch? range is going to suck with the 90 pack vs. your 3LR. you should also check the battery version for that 90, they are notorious for being troublesome.

Upvote 0
You will love the trade. Model X any year is so much better than any 3/Y. Yes the range is less (who cares with all the chargers now). Yes a few features less (wait till you get used to the auto doors all around more than compensates). All the room. Most importantly . . . You will never draw a crowd, or comments, with anything else when you open the FWD. The X is Tesla plain and simple. BTW I have a 3 and X.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Upvote 0
I'd like to thank all of you for your input on this! Its looks like the Model X i was looking at was sold! Maybe fate idk, but i have no come to the conclusion that there is no legitimate reason for me to upgrade. If i got a good deal sure, id love to have a model x. Its more of a want than need. Ive thought about going to the Y but it seems like its just the same as my Model 3 with some more cargo space. Ive also always been envious of the performance versions of the Y/X/3.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same position as you, have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD and need more space. I think the X is WAY better than the 3, except supercharging speed. I'm looking at getting a 2017 X 100D with vegan 7-seater (all fold flat), sometimes I see them for around $63K . Few months of warranty left on late 2017s. Need EAP because I want the car to do lane changes. I think many 2016 Xs are fine, but too big a risk with no warranty so I'm looking at 2017s, also for the better seats. Or March 2018 model for MCU2.
I'm also considering a 2015 Model S 85D or 90D with AP1 and air suspension for around $38K. Battery/drivetrain warranty goes until 2023 on those.

Upvote 0
I did almost the exact same thing a month ago, but for a seven seater direct from Tesla. We're expecting our third child and although they could all fit in the back of the 3, it was just too tight. I lose out on range, hardware (i.e. cameras), simplistic interior, tight handling, and snappy feel. I considered the refresh, but it was more than I was willing to spend. The space made the trade off worth it. Luckily, the car was in such great condition. It has the Infotainment upgrade, but whatever was in the 3 is still noticeably more responsive. Imagine an iPad (3) versus a Kindle Fire (X) where they're both responsive, but the iPad's slightly more refined. It's currently at service for recalls (steering rack bolts update and roof appliques), off centered steering wheel, and Presentation Mode not working.

If we weren't having our third then I would've kept the 3. See what works for you and let us know what you do!!

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Upvote 0
If you're able to see the service history then I suppose you can look at what's wrong and decide whether or not you're willing to deal with it. From what little I've read, the common issues are the presenting door handles not working and the cracked front suspension links like the X. All three cars mentioned in this thread are completely different so it all depends on use case. Do you need space, speed, range?

I actually had a 2018 S loaner for four days and I could not get used to it since it drives like a boat. It did seem more commanding on the road though (maybe because it was black). I was able to fit two car seats and an adult in the back, but it was tight since the seats were semi bucket from what I remember.

Upvote 0
I actually had a 2018 S loaner for four days and I could not get used to it since it drives like a boat.
I had a loaner S P85D yesterday with 21" wheels and summer tires and I would not use the word 'boat' to describe the handling. Coming from an X, I was blown away...

I don't feel bad about staying on topic since this thread is now officially a random chat lounge that has strayed so far from the incredibly specific thread title I feel like anything is fair game ;)

Upvote 0
I had a loaner S P85D yesterday with 21" wheels and summer tires and I would not use the word 'boat' to describe the handling. Coming from an X, I was blown away...

I don't feel bad about staying on topic since this thread is now officially a random chat lounge that has strayed so far from the incredibly specific thread title I feel like anything is fair game ;)

the S is a boat, the X is a barge lol

Upvote 0
Depends on the build date (AP1 or AP2). AP1 no way, AP2 sure

Upvote 0