Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in 2018 X75D for Raven Perf X - Compare/Contrast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have benefitted tremendously from the time others have taken in sharing their experiences and stories, so I thought I would pay it back a bit.

In June 2018, I bought a Model X 75D, 6 seater, FSD, center console, 22” rims. I fell in love with this car almost instantly. If I had any regret after driving the car for a little while, it was that I wish I had bought the 100D for more range, as well as did the 5 or 7 seater for folding seat convenience. My X75D currently has about 23k miles on it.

Poor financial decisions aside… I have decided to order a new Model X Perf Raven, 5 seater, 20” standard rims - should arrive by the end of August. My test drive confirmed the new suspension is incredible (almost as good as my wife’s XC90 T8 which is a 10 out of 10 in comfort), the car is quick (audible front wheel slippage on heavy acceleration) both at launch and when floored at 60, and the efficiency is TBD.

In an effort to help others, here are a few areas I thought would be worth touching on, which I will update when I receive my new Raven.

Range

Note: I drive spiritedly but responsible. I have two kids under two, so lots of my driving is rational. However, I drive 30 miles to and from work (60 round trip) every weekday, and enjoy launches and high levels of acceleration when possible. Much of my commute is around 80mph because when you live in Chicago, you get after it when you can. I have a HPWC at home but LOVE to use SuperChargers when I can. I do realize that the cost of charging at home is minimal, but something about getting “free juice” is very appealing.

X75D: I became obsessed with my efficiency, not because I want to save the planet as quickly as possible, but rather because I found that my driving habits were the most crucial factor when achieving range. My X75D has a lifetime efficiency of about 380 wh/mi, or roughly 180-190 miles per charge (I have never taken my car to 0 miles remaining as the idea terrifies me). I live in Chicago, so the winter certainly brought my lifetime range higher than most. This summer, my average has been about 355 wh/mi. However, one morning I hit the road early to get to work (5am) and decided it was a good opportunity to see how efficient I could be since I knew there would be little traffic. To my surprise, AC on Level 1 and driving around 65, I was able to achieve 290 wh/mi.

Raven: TBD - I did order my Raven with 20” standard rims. I ordered Matte Black Arachnids from Tsportsline that will fit the stock tires. I am hopeful I will be able to achieve the ~305mi range going this route, and will report back when I have some data.

Shudder

X75D: I noticed the shudder first during the winter of 2018. It was nasty sounding and made me feel like I was breaking the car under heavy acceleration. I took my car into the shop. They said they would order new half shafts for me to replace the issue. I didn’t hear anything for a month, called Tesla, and they said they had no idea what I was talking about. Instead of fighting the issue, I just lived with it. This summer, the shudder has gone away completely in my X75D. I have a feeling it would return when it is cold out, but I will not have the car to find out.

Raven: TBD - nothing noticed during the test drive.

SuperCharging

X75D: I have become quite skilled at SuperCharging when on road trips, maximizing speed vs. time at SuperCharger, etc. After the recent update to the V2 SuperChargers, I have been able to get up to 127kw @ over 400mph while charging. This is certainly an upgrade from the slower speeds I was used to. Being in Chicago, I will not be able to comment on V3 SuperChargers for quite some time. I am eager to test the Raven on a V2, however.

Raven: TBD

Other items:

If there is a substantial difference in AP, Enhanced Summon etc., I will post on it.

I am happy to answer any questions folks have today and once I receive my Raven in about a week.

I have benefitted tremendously from the time others have taken in sharing their experiences and stories, so I thought I would pay it back a bit.

In June 2018, I bought a Model X 75D, 6 seater, FSD, center console, 22” rims. I fell in love with this car almost instantly. If I had any regret after driving the car for a little while, it was that I wish I had bought the 100D for more range, as well as did the 5 or 7 seater for folding seat convenience. My X75D currently has about 23k miles on it.

Poor financial decisions aside… I have decided to order a new Model X Perf Raven, 5 seater, 20” standard rims - should arrive by the end of August. My test drive confirmed the new suspension is incredible (almost as good as my wife’s XC90 T8 which is a 10 out of 10 in comfort), the car is quick (audible front wheel slippage on heavy acceleration) both at launch and when floored at 60, and the efficiency is TBD.

In an effort to help others, here are a few areas I thought would be worth touching on, which I will update when I receive my new Raven.

Range

Note: I drive spiritedly but responsible. I have two kids under two, so lots of my driving is rational. However, I drive 30 miles to and from work (60 round trip) every weekday, and enjoy launches and high levels of acceleration when possible. Much of my commute is around 80mph because when you live in Chicago, you get after it when you can. I have a HPWC at home but LOVE to use SuperChargers when I can. I do realize that the cost of charging at home is minimal, but something about getting “free juice” is very appealing.

X75D: I became obsessed with my efficiency, not because I want to save the planet as quickly as possible, but rather because I found that my driving habits were the most crucial factor when achieving range. My X75D has a lifetime efficiency of about 380 wh/mi, or roughly 180-190 miles per charge (I have never taken my car to 0 miles remaining as the idea terrifies me). I live in Chicago, so the winter certainly brought my lifetime range higher than most. This summer, my average has been about 355 wh/mi. However, one morning I hit the road early to get to work (5am) and decided it was a good opportunity to see how efficient I could be since I knew there would be little traffic. To my surprise, AC on Level 1 and driving around 65, I was able to achieve 290 wh/mi.

Raven: TBD - I did order my Raven with 20” standard rims. I ordered Matte Black Arachnids from Tsportsline that will fit the stock tires. I am hopeful I will be able to achieve the ~305mi range going this route, and will report back when I have some data.

Shudder

X75D: I noticed the shudder first during the winter of 2018. It was nasty sounding and made me feel like I was breaking the car under heavy acceleration. I took my car into the shop. They said they would order new half shafts for me to replace the issue. I didn’t hear anything for a month, called Tesla, and they said they had no idea what I was talking about. Instead of fighting the issue, I just lived with it. This summer, the shudder has gone away completely in my X75D. I have a feeling it would return when it is cold out, but I will not have the car to find out.

SuperCharging

X75D: I have become quite skilled at SuperCharging when on road trips, maximizing speed vs. time at SuperCharger, etc. After the recent update to the V2 SuperChargers, I have been able to get up to 127kw @ over 400mph while charging. This is certainly an upgrade from the slower speeds I was used to. Being in Chicago, I will not be able to comment on V3 SuperChargers for quite some time. I am eager to test the Raven on a V2, however.

Other items:

If there is a substantial difference in AP, Enhanced Summon etc., I will post on it.

I am happy to answer any questions folks have today and once I receive my Raven in about a week.

How was your trade in to Tesla experience?

Thank you for your informative post. I am also interested in hearing your trade in experience. I have a 2017 5 seat X100D that I have been contemplating on trading in for a Raven 7 seater.. Do I need to? No... Would it be nice? Hell yes!

I too have an X75D of around the same age. I'm interested in what you think.

My current issues that I would like to see fixed:
Yellowing Border - MCU
Shudder? I'm not sure I have it, I would like to drive a car without it to compare. The care does make more noise when accelerating hard from 0. Is that it?
Sometimes I see "blindspot monitoring unavailable" error.

All my fit/finish issues have been taken care of by mobile service.

I'm happy with the range of my X75D. Supercharging could definitely be faster. If I were to do it again, I would also go for the 100D (not P). Mostly due to resale value and buffer as the battery ages.

Range

Shudder

SuperCharging

Other items:

I actually did the same thing that you did. I had a 2018 X75 5-seater with 20" tires, and absolutely loved it. However, after doing a few long road trips, I began to feel remorse that I didn't get the bigger battery. At the time, Tesla was giving the free Ludicrous upgrade (before it became standard) so I decided to bump up to the performance model. I rationalized that I'd be keeping this one 5-6 years so just go for it...

I definitely notice the suspension difference and it's a much smoother ride... My X75 was around 370 wh/mi and the P100 is usually around 290 wh/mi (same 5-seater with 20" tires as the old model).

Overall, I'm very happy so far... I did one trip up to the summer camp where my kids go, about 220 miles round trip, and I could easily make it round trip without stopping whereas I'd probably not want to risk not charging on the way home in the X75...

Reactions: scottf200
Great to hear, upgrading my 90D to a Long Range. Should get it the 2nd. Range boost was my main driver since I make a 220 mile one way trip regularly and we take a 2000+ mile road trip at least a couple times a year. Overall there were just enough upgrades to make it all worthwhile. Glad to hear the 220ish mile trip is no problem even in the performance model.

I actually did the same thing that you did. I had a 2018 X75 5-seater with 20" tires, and absolutely loved it. However, after doing a few long road trips, I began to feel remorse that I didn't get the bigger battery. At the time, Tesla was giving the free Ludicrous upgrade (before it became standard) so I decided to bump up to the performance model. I rationalized that I'd be keeping this one 5-6 years so just go for it...

I definitely notice the suspension difference and it's a much smoother ride... My X75 was around 370 wh/mi and the P100 is usually around 290 wh/mi (same 5-seater with 20" tires as the old model).

Overall, I'm very happy so far... I did one trip up to the summer camp where my kids go, about 220 miles round trip, and I could easily make it round trip without stopping whereas I'd probably not want to risk not charging on the way home in the X75...

Wow - maybe we are twins separated at birth... because that was my thought exactly! Perhaps greats minds think alike...

I really appreciate your comments and you have me even more excited. 290 wi/mh would be amazing and almost hard to believe, and I can't wait to see it for myself.

I will provide an update regarding my trade-in experience on either Friday or Saturday, when Tesla confirms my delivery time/date.

Hello All - I promised to update my original post once I took delivery of my Raven Perf X, so here goes (updates in Italics)

I have benefited tremendously from the time others have taken in sharing their experiences and stories, so I thought I would pay it back a bit.

Range

WOW. I only have 200 miles on my car now, but oh my god is the range a vast improvement. It is clear when doing either 40mph or 70mph, the car just isn't exerting as much effort to maintain the speed. See the picture below where I did a 44.3 mile trip - this was both highway @ 80mph as well as stop-and-go through suburbs. To accomplish 280wh/mi is insane. Perhaps, it's ludicrous. During this trip, there were 4 of us in the car (two kids) and a trunk full of stuff, A/C on, in Luda mode. I can't wait to further test the efficiency of this car. Based upon my recent driving, the total range for this car may be 350mi+ in normal driving conditions. My X75D was closer to 180mi, so my Raven may be close to doubling my X75D. This is no joke.

My "Since Last Charge" efficiency does not look quite as good... let's just say, there was some "testing" I needed to do when my kids weren't in the car. My "Trip A" is even worse as this is the total efficiency since mile 0, which many folks may remember, the first few miles while in Tesla's hands are around 2,000wh/mi, making the overall picture look worse than it actually is. This will regulate shortly, but I tracked my X75D over it's lifetime (380wh/mi) and would like to do the same with my Raven.

Note: I have not had my new Tsportline rims installed yet; that happens Thursday and I will update if there is a difference, which I suspect there will not be as many folks have commented on tires being the largest driver of range (outside of driving habits, of course).

Shudder

No shudder present. Multiple launches from 0, and only tire slippage is noticed (this thing is fast!).

SuperCharging

Still TBD. Will update when I get a chance to use a 150kw SuperCharger.

Other items:

One interesting item I haven't seen anyone comment on is that my Raven has the second regen brake on the rear calipers (picture below). My 2018 X75D did not have this. In terms of feeling, there is no noticeable difference. I am not sure why Tesla brought this back, but would appreciate insights from someone smarter than me.

I didn't have my car pre-loaded with FSD - I waited to pay for it post-delivery so I could buy it on my CC and get the miles. I was sitting in the car while I ordered FSD on my phone. As soon as I hit "Purchase" on my phone, the car went dead. It was very strange. I then did a hard restart, and the car came back on, now with FSD. One on hand, the shut off was concerning. On the other, super cool that FSD came to my car that fast.

I am happy to answer any additional questions folks have. In a nutshell, this car is substantially better than my X75D. I am so happy I made the decision to upgrade. What excites me as well is that for folks new to Tesla who buy a Raven as their first EV, they will be hooked for life!

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 151
How was your trade in to Tesla experience?

My trade-in experience was average... full of highs and lows. Lot's of uncertainty about when the car would arrive, what day I would take delivery, etc. I felt like the folks at the dealership where tired of hearing from me, but too bad for them.

I got a horrible trade in offer for my X ($62k), and CarMax offered $63k. I traded it in to Tesla as the tax benefit outweighed the extra $1k. Tesla did take my car without ever looking at it, which I thought was interesting.

My delivery was efficient, which was nice. The Tesla showroom was a zoo of people - many who have never owned a EV before and were asking very basic questions (most of which put a smile on my face as I remember being a noob too!). My car had a few small issues - the red "Performance" line was not on the tailgate, the bottom of the rear bench seat was not tacked down correctly, and the bottom of the lower trunk was not tacked down correctly. Not ideal - but not the end of the world. I meticulously looked for bumps, dents, paint issues and bad alignment, and found nothing overly offensive. Overall, very pleased.

• Informative
Reactions: bayx
I think your case shows that the adage "buy as much range as you can afford" still holds true. Which is what the market actually says, as the longer range an EV has, the better its resale.

I went through the same back and forth about getting a Model 3 Standard Range + vs the Long Range AWD. I went with the Long Range AWD after taking a day trip somewhere in an ICE car and realizing that the SR+ would have needed to recharge to make it back while the LR would have sailed through.

Which TSportline wheels are you getting, and why not stock 22" if u did get TSportline 22s?

I am waiting for LR X stock 20", and thinking of TSportline's too.

Thanks for all the info - they are insightful!

I ordered the Tesla Forged X 20" TSS Flow Forged wheels. I went for matte black w/ black caps. I will post a picture once they are installed. I went with the 20s to maintain that sweet, sweet range!

Reactions: Michelx

Range

Shudder

SuperCharging

Other items:

Why do you regret not getting fold flat seats? I have the 5 seater and regretted not getting the 6 seater. Do you just need to haul stuff all the time?

Why do you regret not getting fold flat seats? I have the 5 seater and regretted not getting the 6 seater. Do you just need to haul stuff all the time?

One of the main reasons I got the X over the S or 3 was practicality. It isn't often, but there have been times where I have had to borrow my brother's Model S to do stuff like when I bought a 75" TV. Wouldn't fit in my X because of the bucket seats, but fit easily in the S. With fold down seats, all has been solved and the back is wonderfully cavernous.

I feel a little better. I was always jealous of you guys when I want to drive 6 persons. I guess non folding does have a few drawbacks. Only problem is that I’ve almost never folded my seats!
Got a 7 seater X with the bench and it’s good to know you can carry people and fold it flat and carry if/when you need to. Best combo, I think. But it’s a bit of personal preference.