Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading In Car Through Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does trading in your car with Tesla work? I have an old 2004 Highlander and Tesla offered me the most for my trade in, I tried the other car buying places ect Carvana.
My MYP should be here in 2 weeks, so do I just show up the day of delivery with my Highlander and give them the keys and they give me a check? When will they inspect my Highlander to know if they are going to honor the trade in offer? I’m asking because I’m financing my MYP and I was going to put the trade in value towards my financing.
Also, do I have to have my Highlander detailed before I drop it off?

I traded-in an Acura for my MS. The car was on a lease and Tesla offered more than the payoff. If you use the Trade-in estimator (Trade-in | Tesla) I believe the quote is valid for 30-days. When you complete the purchase paperwork, online, you fill in the trade-in information, as well as purchase/loan/lease information. When your car arrives you drive over, hand them the keys and a check for what you owe. My purchase went extremely smoothly.

I traded-in an Acura for my MS. The car was on a lease and Tesla offered more than the payoff. If you use the Trade-in estimator (Trade-in | Tesla) I believe the quote is valid for 30-days. When you complete the purchase paperwork, online, you fill in the trade-in information, as well as purchase/loan/lease information. When your car arrives you drive over, hand them the keys and a check for what you owe. My purchase went extremely smoothly.
Thank you. I’ve never traded in a car before.

We traded in our Ford Explorer on a MY and financed the balance at a local credit union. Tesla credits you the trade in value of your car against the amount due at delivery. (The Explorer was fully paid off, so we didn't have to deal with that added complexity.)

On delivery day we showed up with our Explorer (in reasonably clean but not detailed condition), both keys, the title, and a cashiers check from the credit union for the difference. Our delivery advisor looked over the Explorer, compared the car to the trade in details and the title, and that was it.

Reactions: Lrmatthews18