Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the US we have places like Carvana, Shift, and Vroom. We've actually used 2 of those in the last couple years, the prices seemed fair and it was pretty easy

Everything I've heard is Tesla is the low paying choice.

Ca gives you the big zero off taxes for a tradein

This may be an ignorant point or question. But if the OP has FSD, and they go to Tesla to trade in, it would be cool if Tesla would “transfer” that FSD. Does Tesla put a trade-in value on FSD? It’s a software check box that they can enable or disable when reselling the car, so it has technically no value to them at all. I.e. if you were to sell it privately, it has real value, but when you trade in to the company themselves, it has no value to them as it’s not a physical part that literally stays with the car.

So i guess my point it, if they offer you 30k for your trade-in and you had FSD, and you buy another Tesla in that same transaction, and you want FSD on your new LR version, is that 30k including FSD as the trade in value? It’s almost like buying a new computer and moving your Office 2016 license over with it. Kinda. Maybe not. But again, it has no value to Tesla as they can easily add or subtract that FSD add-on without effort.

Maybe this is a stupid point, but i thought I’d bring it up here.

Private sale will offer you best return

Tesla trade in likely lowest but may save you thousands in taxes

Carvanna and CarMax are super easy

Tesla will match CarMax but I don’t think that applies to Tesla’s so may not apply in your case

FSD stays with the car not transferrable; some Telsa used have FSD so they will keep it with the car if it has it and won’t add it if it doesn’t (so think Tesla will offer more for a car with it). If bought new with it may be tied to the vin/ original sticker

Try Vroom/Carvana/Carmax.
Youd be surprised what you can get vs tesla low ball trade offers.

Have you contacted Tesla to see what the trade value is they will offer?
I can get you in touch with someone at corporate who can sometimes pull some strings to get you
more $ if your buying another Tesla. He just hooked me up big time.

This may be an ignorant point or question. But if the OP has FSD, and they go to Tesla to trade in, it would be cool if Tesla would “transfer” that FSD. Does Tesla put a trade-in value on FSD? It’s a software check box that they can enable or disable when reselling the car, so it has technically no value to them at all. I.e. if you were to sell it privately, it has real value, but when you trade in to the company themselves, it has no value to them as it’s not a physical part that literally stays with the car.

So i guess my point it, if they offer you 30k for your trade-in and you had FSD, and you buy another Tesla in that same transaction, and you want FSD on your new LR version, is that 30k including FSD as the trade in value? It’s almost like buying a new computer and moving your Office 2016 license over with it. Kinda. Maybe not. But again, it has no value to Tesla as they can easily add or subtract that FSD add-on without effort.

Logic and fairness does not apply with Tesla.

You trade with FSD and that value goes bye bye.

And most of the Cash dealers don’t valuate software either. Only private sales do.

Good point about Tesla might not match CarMax on a Tesla.

I traded a Jeep into Tesla and they were very reasonable. Except F’n the paper work at delivery time.

I just traded in my MR rwd for a LR Awd and they gave me a great value.
My car had no auto pilot either. Im guessing they simply can flip a switch and turn it on with FSD and sell for more money.
Great tool for them to increase value on resale market.

Reactions: hill
thank you for all the great responses, Carvana online offer was $33,200. I have been trying to get a trade in offer from Tesla but was unable to get anyone over the phone.

Try Vroom/Carvana/Carmax.
Youd be surprised what you can get vs tesla low ball trade offers.

Have you contacted Tesla to see what the trade value is they will offer?
I can get you in touch with someone at corporate who can sometimes pull some strings to get you
more $ if your buying another Tesla. He just hooked me up big time.

If you could get me this contact that would be awesome

Please keep us up to date on this.

I've been seriously lusting after the LR RWD cars showing up as "used" on Tesla's web site with very low miles. The range would be nice, but the even better interior features and sound system improvements are features we really wish we had.

Also, it appears our MY will end up being almost $60,000.00

Reactions: Rojer Lockless
Please keep us up to date on this.

I've been seriously lusting after the LR RWD cars showing up as "used" on Tesla's web site with very low miles. The range would be nice, but the even better interior features and sound system improvements are features we really wish we had.

Also, it appears our MY will end up being almost $60,000.00
I assure you all of those LR and midrange cars with low vins all had issues and have been sitting around or waiting for repairs for quite a while. They are all last 18 builds with under 500 miles on them which makes no sense. Im guessing they have been sitting at a body shop for months having panels repaired and were returns back in 2018.

Reactions: SJC3
Should be perfect then :)

My July 19 is built and finished so poorly I've been seriously considering pulling it apart and rebuilding it myself. ***

I happen to think the M3 is a stunning design and it drives pretty well. It is quite poorly executed. It is a real credit to the design and the drivetrain that I've just swallowed hard and enjoyed the product despite it being assembled like a craft project by my daughter's pre-school class. Would not be surprised to open the glove box to see a pink footprint with "Daddy I Love You" written in

There is literally not a day I don't walk by it and try to fix something on the paint. In fact, a bottle of Mequiars #7 is on the table beside me now.

College job was rebuilding Ferraris, Porsches and Corvettes. The C2 and C3 Vettes are very similar with very haphazard assembly which can be made truly beautiful by redoing the seams, filling and epoxy priming the body panels and taking care to keep the car's lines crisp, straight and sharp.

FSD is free to Tesla. Why would they pay extra for it?

In good faith, Tesla should pay the market rate if they want return buyers to upgrade their products.

IMHO Tesla is a great product. A Tesla like design, built to the standards of VW/Audi is going to be incredible.

Most manufacturers try to incentivize buyers to return to their stores. This is particularly true if they hope the buyer of a lower priced car is in a position to upgrade. SR and SR+ owners are the most likely to desire an upgrade.

Reactions: brkaus
I think its case by case and who you deal with. I got a great trade in value from my guy internally at Tesla corporate.
A buddy of my whos car was 12k more than mine and has lower miles got a lower trade figure than my car from his local Tesla store.