Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in my Model 3 today...should I remove my Homelink so that I can install it in my new Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All- It's Wednesday 10/12...trading in my baby today for a Model Y...it's a 2018 Model 3 with Homelink...should I remove the Homelink module before I trade in the car so that I can install it in the Model Y?

Thanks,
JD

I assume not all 2018's? My mid-range 2018 did not have it.
it should have had it. They removed it in 2019 sometime. If you bought your car new, from tesla, and it was a 2018, then it should have had it. If you bought your car from a third party, like I seem to remember (but may be mis remembering), then whomever traded it in did this exact thing this OP is suggesting doing.

All 2018 model 3s came from the factory with it but people could have removed it.

I don't think that it would've been noticed in the trade in- I took apart the Frunk tub and had a look- the bumper needed to come off too. For the money saved, I didn't think it was worth it. Thanks for the input all. -JD

Didn’t realize HomeLink wasn’t standard in all 2018 Model 3 trim levels. For those that did include it, it became optional at the end of May 2019.

it should have had it. They removed it in 2019 sometime. If you bought your car new, from tesla, and it was a 2018, then it should have had it. If you bought your car from a third party, like I seem to remember (but may be mis remembering), then whomever traded it in did this exact thing this OP is suggesting doing.

All 2018 model 3s came from the factory with it but people could have removed it.

I must have just not realized it had it then. I only had the MR for about 6 months before I sold it and upgraded to the Stealth Performance since it was a good price.

So interestingly enough when you order homelink now they actually send you a package with labels stating to not open or you void installation. Im not sure they will install used units anymore. I happen to have one off my 2019 though. The insurance wouldn't include it in the payout so I took it.

Hey All- It's Wednesday 10/12...trading in my baby today for a Model Y...it's a 2018 Model 3 with Homelink...should I remove the Homelink module before I trade in the car so that I can install it in the Model Y?

Thanks,
JD
I agree with others here that, unless you can install AND CONFIGURE it yourself, probably leave the Homelink in the older vehicle.

You MAY wish to keep your mobile charging unit and adapters however.