Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in P85+ for P85D...give me a nudge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Financially, it is a horrible idea. (Buying a new car usually is.)

That said, I'm selling my 18-month-old, P85 with 17,000 miles and getting buying a new P85D. It's gonna end up costing me about $40,000 - $50,000 when all is said and done.

You have to do what will make you happy in the end. If having a cool new toy will make you happier than the money (or something else you could spend the money on,) then do it. As others have said, it's only money.

Well, there is the 0 - 60 thing in 3.2 seconds... which would make anyone smile. ;)

My experience is that the average lease cost is about $1,600/Month for a 36 - 42 month lease on a comparably priced MB, BMW, etc. So your $18k figure is perfectly reasonable. But that's a straight line cost over three years or so. In reality, cars do depreciate a ton once driven off the lot. The longer you hold the car, the lower the lifetime costs, up to a point. I guess I'm saying the $33k most likely reflects the reality of most car purchases. So don't feel like you're getting ripped.

But, did I mention the 0 - 60 of the P85D???

Good luck with your decision...

Ok, so I ordered my P85D the night it was announced, thinking that my P85+ would hold its value decently well and that I'd have no trouble selling my car. To recap, my P85+ had a $120K sticker (before credits) and has only 4200 miles and is, without exaggeration, flawless. It's been opti-coated and shows like new, so surely someone would find it appealing at a nice discount to a new factory car. The car is just about a year old.

After many weeks of listing on eBay and other places, price reductions, etc I'm convinced that values have taken a pretty hefty hit. Most buyers are using D pricing as a reference point. After many discussions with Tesla, the best offer I could get from them was $87K. If I take my original car's price, subtract credits and add tax, we are talking about a $33k bath after one year. I think it's reasonable to look at half of this $33K as a 'usage cost' (ie, I drove the car for 12 months, and transportation costs money whether I buy, rent, lease a car, or use uber or taxi everyday) and the other half a true 'hit', or money lost beyond my cost of usage.

I can easily absorb the hit and want the P85D, but would like your opinion. Am I an idiot for doing this? Certainly if I view it through a financial lens, I am. Are others taking similar losses to upgrade?

I guess I'm just looking for 3rd party validation for what I'm about to do :)

No but seriously, seeing others with similar upgrading experiences would make me feel better.

Thanks for listening.

There is no way around this issue and Tesla knew about this years back. They knew that their product is so amazing that very successfully, financially sound individuals would throw out all logic that got them their success to have the latest and greatest. Tesla is like all other car manufacturers plus and minus an entire new rule book that is written in real time. There is no competition and the product is so unbelievable, we find ways to rationalize our necessity of needing it now now now. Then in 3-6 months, we repeat. I leased my P85+ and took delivery a week prior to the announcement of the D. The day after I reach out to Tesla expressing my buyer's remorse from not being informed of the upcoming change as well as current options to upgrade. They told me that my brand new tesla with only 16 miles on it would cost me $14K to trade in. Plus the new down payment on the D which is about $9K. That's $23K my friends to get the new that will be old in just a year.

It is an amazing car though. That I know we all agree on.

In the real world how many times are you really going to need to get to 0-60 that fast?.....

If the op needs AWD I say gor for it but not for the speed reason as the fun will wear off after a month but the payments will still be there.

Yep. I know and agree. But he said he could do it financially... I mean, realistically, no one should purchase a $110k plus car unless it is a rounding error in their monthly expenses. I think the OP is looking for a little group support on an emotional, not rational, buying decision. Just sayin'... ;)

Congrats! White, grey, or silver would be easier to keep clean and maintain. Enjoy your new baby :)

personally don't care for silver,

don't really recommend the solid white, when the pearl white is an option, unless if you're planning a wrap.

I've owned an (old) grey and a Multi-Coat Red. To be honest, I loved my Red, and when I order a P85D early next year, I'm not sure whether I'd go the new grey, or get a red again. Also like the blue/tan combo, but if you've done that already, I'd recommend something different.

One other consideration after being schooled on resale values and the secondary market for MS. I do not buy sun roofs unless forced. They allow in unwanted heat, leak, whistle and, if you have ever had to fix a wire off a guide wheel, are a royal pain to fix. I know me and have had many a car bought off the lot with a sun roof only to open two or three times the first year then being lucky to open it once a year there after.

All the above being said, the resale market for MS almost demands the Pano..... I gave this serious consideration when ordering the last car.

As for the OP, I feel your pain. It is absolutely stupid to blow $50K to (in my case) replace a fantastic 14 month old P+ that I have exactly the way I want it with a PD that is a second quicker to sixty and has auto pilot features. Color me stupid because I just could not help myself :)

As for the OP, I feel your pain. It is absolutely stupid to blow $50K to (in my case) replace a fantastic 14 month old P+ that I have exactly the way I want it with a PD that is a second quicker to sixty and has auto pilot features. Color me stupid because I just could not help myself :)

And the seats. You forgot the new seats. Totally makes it all worth it. :)

Don't discount the benefit of AWD, even when it's not snowing. Being able to punch it when exiting a turn and not have the ESP and traction control nannies cut power and kill all the fun is priceless.

I seriously considered the trade up as well. Although it would be great to have a P85D, I have 3 kids and kind of need the frunk space (remove the microwave and I can't fit a stroller there anymore!). I could only justify the D if it had a bigger battery. I hope they will have a 100 or 110D end of next year and maybe make the car a little lighter. Then the upgrade will be super exciting. Also, I think it makes sense to wait 6 months or so atleast for them to work out all the bugs.

On the other hand, if Lola gets his car and says its like a dream compared to the P+ I will change my mind. Highly doubting it will be an earth shaking improvement however.

I have a P85+ but have ordered a P85D. Apart from the insane performance and autopilot, the better seats and a more quiet cabit were the decisive factors for me. And, besides, as you have already pointed out, we only live once :smile: