Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in Roadster for M3P - Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly the same comparison, but long time Roadster fan here, came really close to buying a used Roadster, but in the end used those savings to buy a new Model 3 instead. I don't feel much regret. I appreciate all the niceties of the Model 3, like supercharging, more range, more comfortable, back seats, better sound system, fancier NAV system, etc, etc.
Sure it doesn't have the same "raw" go-cart, seat-of-the-pants driving thrill, but it has enough "Tesla fun factor" to keep me satisfied enough that the Roadster lust has died down (for the most part.)

So, some perspective from someone who had a couple thousand miles of Roadster driving, but never actually owned one before going to Model 3.
( By the way, thanks to all those friends that loaned me their Roadsters over the years !!! )

I guess I'll also give my 2 cents to this subject. I too currently have a 2.0 Roadster and a Model XP90DL. Since I only have a two car garage I can only keep two cars at a time. Originally, when the Model 3 was announced, I put my $1K deposit down on March 31st, 2016 and told myself I would sell the Roadster if/when a performance Model 3 was available. When I got the invite to configure my Performance Model 3, that's when reality set in that I really do like my Roadster and that although the M3P would be fun to drive, would it really be that much different from my Model XP90DL? Did I really want two four-door cars? Yes, as other's have said if they came out with a Model 3 performance convertible coupe, the Roadster would be up for sale. Also, there seems to be a glut or Roadsters for sale and prices have been falling and none of them seem to be selling fast. I too am worried about the scarcity of parts and if something big like the PEM or battery were to fail...but I guess I will just live with those risks for now and keep driving my beloved Roadster.

I’ve kept my roadster after the M3 since I primarily use the cars to commute to work. The roadster uses less energy/mile and can charge at 70A vs 48A for the M3 if your route doesn’t include superchargers and HPC’s are available. Once it starts raining though I’ll probably use the M3 more.

On a side topic has anyone changed their roadster HPC plug to J1772 or the new Tesla plug?

I’ve kept my roadster after the M3 since I primarily use the cars to commute to work. The roadster uses less energy/mile and can charge at 70A vs 48A for the M3 if your route doesn’t include superchargers and HPC’s are available. Once it starts raining though I’ll probably use the M3 more.

On a side topic has anyone changed their roadster HPC plug to J1772 or the new Tesla plug?

Some of the old Roadster sites were converted in the wild...

The one at the Rabobank Atascadero comes to mind... (just a few feet from the superchargers at the same location)

Clipper creek used to offer that as a service so I’m sure there are many out there converted to J1772
Earlier this year, I picked up a used TS-70 with the J1772 conversion (re-coded for 40A) for my wife's LEAF and it works as expected. FWIW, they apparently still stock the parts as a kit which retails for $595 (Item #0200-03-003) so it's definitely a pricey swap if you're considering it. Here's the item list Charlie @ ClipperCreek sent me last year when I inquired:

Item Num Description Qty

1001-0007 hanger, connector, universal bracket, CC-28 1
1001-0013 hanger, connector, holster, universal, black, CC-36_D 1
1002-0006 bracket, high-power cable hanger, retro-fit, gray, CC-31 1
4013-0004 strain relief, with nut, for 75A cable on TS-70 enclosure, PG-36 thread, Heyco, black 1
5602-0034 cable, SAE-J1772 connector, 240VAC, 80A, 25' EVE jacketing, ITT Canon, UL Listed, "C16" 1

They still sell the CS-xx series units if you want the SAE plug in the old school form factor with the awesome "thunk" contactor noise.

As far as a PRO on this topic... specifically for those of us in CA... trading for an M3P at least grants you HOV access starting Jan 1, 2019. Most of us in Cali know of the ridiculous bill which was recently passed (AB 544) that's going to kick all pre-'17 BEV and PHEV vehicles out of the carpool lane at the start of next year unless, for some crazy reason, your car had never been issued stickers o_O Anyway, in case you're curious...

Anger in California's carpool lanes as more than 200,000 drivers are set to lose decals

I've had my Roadster for 5 1/2 years, and got a Model 3 (non-P) in January 2018.

Love both cars, but if I had to make a choice between them, I would keep the Roadster. Having the M3 has helped change the Roadster from a daily driver to a nice weather only car. I've only put the soft top onto the Roadster a couple times over the last many months. If there's a good chance it's going to rain or it's too hot (depending on length of drive), the Roadster stays home and I take the M3. But if needed, I would go back to driving the Roadster in the rain, and sweating profusely when the Roadster's anemic air conditioning wasn't up to dealing with Florida heat. The M3 is a great car, but the Roadster is more than a car, it's an experience.

So if your situation allows, keep both, you won't regret it.

I've had my Roadster for 5 1/2 years, and got a Model 3 (non-P) in January 2018.

Love both cars, but if I had to make a choice between them, I would keep the Roadster. Having the M3 has helped change the Roadster from a daily driver to a nice weather only car. I've only put the soft top onto the Roadster a couple times over the last many months. If there's a good chance it's going to rain or it's too hot (depending on length of drive), the Roadster stays home and I take the M3. But if needed, I would go back to driving the Roadster in the rain, and sweating profusely when the Roadster's anemic air conditioning wasn't up to dealing with Florida heat. The M3 is a great car, but the Roadster is more than a car, it's an experience.

So if your situation allows, keep both, you won't regret it.

Ditto!

As far as a PRO on this topic... specifically for those of us in CA... trading for an M3P at least grants you HOV access starting Jan 1, 2019. Most of us in Cali know of the ridiculous bill which was recently passed (AB 544) that's going to kick all pre-'17 BEV and PHEV vehicles out of the carpool lane at the start of next year unless, for some crazy reason, your car had never been issued stickers o_O Anyway, in case you're curious...

Anger in California's carpool lanes as more than 200,000 drivers are set to lose decals
Good point and something for @Bobfitz1 to consider!

NOTE: Veering off topic.....
However, why is it ridiculous? The carpool lanes are jammed. I come out there every 6-8 weeks and on 101 up the peninsula the carpool lane is no different than the regular lanes. They need to purge the older cars. This way those that really want carpool access can upgrade to a newer car and then that used car allows someone that couldn't afford an EV before to buy one. It gets more EVs on the road which is a good thing.

Good point and something for @Bobfitz1 to consider!

NOTE: Veering off topic.....
However, why is it ridiculous? The carpool lanes are jammed. I come out there every 6-8 weeks and on 101 up the peninsula the carpool lane is no different than the regular lanes. They need to purge the older cars. This way those that really want carpool access can upgrade to a newer car and then that used car allows someone that couldn't afford an EV before to buy one. It gets more EVs on the road which is a good thing.
What’s the purpose of granting carpool access to electric cars? If it’s about the environment, then doesn’t it make more sense to keep older electric cars in the carpool lane? Otherwise you’re just allowing rich people (people who can afford to buy a new car every few years) to pay for access. That doesn’t seem like it’s fulfilling the purpose.

Reactions: heychubs
What’s the purpose of granting carpool access to electric cars? If it’s about the environment, then doesn’t it make more sense to keep older electric cars in the carpool lane? Otherwise you’re just allowing rich people (people who can afford to buy a new car every few years) to pay for access. That doesn’t seem like it’s fulfilling the purpose.
But that presumes that EVs are inferior to ICEs except for the carpool lane access. I bought my Roadster because of carpool access. But now that I've driven an EV for 8 years I will not buy another ICE. The program "worked" in that the carpool access was a sweetener to get me to move from my Corvette to a Roadster. At that point the EV is on the road. If carpool access is that important to me and I have the means then I can buy a new EV. That supports EV companies and puts a cheaper EV onto the used market that someone can purchase that can't afford a new one. Yes, they won't have carpool access but if they're driving an ICE today they don't have carpool access anyway.

Maybe a better program would be that an individual driver can get 3 years of carpool access when they purchase their first EV, whether new or used. That would get them hooked on driving electric and prevent "rich people" from paying for access.

Reactions: TEG and dhrivnak
The jealous person in me says buying a new EV every 3 years makes you a rich person who is exactly paying for car pool lane access. But the same jealous person in me also wants a new sensible EV. But he goes away everyday when I do my modified one legged squat to fold into my Roadster. If that becomes a pain to do then I to will be looking at changing up. By then there will hopefully be a lot more choice than the sterile offerings there is right now. I put my deposit on the Taycan just in case but I don’t expect to need to use it. But I really do hope that there will be more options when the time arises, and I will have a better option of trading in my car to buy one. I don’t think trading in a car has ever been benificial unless you have a $300 car and they are offering $500 for any trade in.

The jealous person in me says buying a new EV every 3 years makes you a rich person who is exactly paying for car pool lane access.
Which is really no different than CALDOT (and other states) allowing people to pay a fee to drive in the HOV lanes. I think I've heard them derisively called "Lexus Lanes"? With an EV you just get to pay for it all up front vs daily on your FasTrak.

I listed my 1.5 a few months ago after putting in an order for a M3P. As delivery day got closer, I reconsidered and decided to keep it. I picked up my M3P at the end of September and have driven the Roadster to work twice since then. With temperatures getting into the 30s this week, I expect that it will continue to live in the garage for a while. I don't miss the open air driving as much as I thought I would. The M3P accelerates harder, feels almost as nimble (more with Track Mode?), and is much more practical for everyday driving. There have been days where I woke up and thought "I'm driving the Roadster today", only to change my mind on the way out the door after remembering how much nicer the 3 is in bumper to bumper traffic with Autopilot and a modern sound system. Lots of mixed feelings about the Roadster. For now, it's too special to let go.

To answer your question:
Spirited drive to the grocery store - M3P
Date night - M3P
Car show/meet - Roadster
Community parade - Roadster

View attachment 352347
the roadster looks so tiny next to model 3. Look almost like a toy car.

the roadster looks so tiny next to model 3. Look almost like a toy car.

model3-roadster-jpg.348105

31087212_10216544732395203_8318726107545206784_o-jpg.296097

park-next-png.302352