Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in with Tesla AU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't see a discussion of this, so thought I'd raise the question.

I've recently placed an order for a Model 3, and added the details for the possible trade-in of my current car.

After a day or so I got the email saying that the trade in offer was ready. I logged in and checked it out. This was pretty lowball, and I understand this is to be expected. A day later I get a second "your trade-in offer is ready.

After logging in, the offer is now increased. It's now within about 10% of what I would want if selling privately.

So the question, is it the normal process that they revise these offers? Has anyone received 2 different offers, or more?

Maybe they shop it around to multiple wholesalers?

I went online a few days ago for a quote and was absolutely stoked by the trade in offer. The team were very responsive in reaching out to me by email and asking for some additional details to help with the quote and I received an offer first thing in the morning.

I called up the Tesla sales line today to help query a bit more about the process and they were really helpful to help me understand the process and my concerns, they also followed up in email too.

The trade in will only be applied when closer to delivery or if you can bring your car in earlier to have the credit applied straight away. In my circumstance they told me they would need to issue an updated trade-in closer to delivery, which would be expected in September now.

I haven’t ordered yet, just trying to convince the wife it’s a great deal.

Hope this helps!

YMMV so it's worth checking out your options.

For me we got a fair wholesale trade for a very old and tired car that would have been a complete pain and expense to roadworthy for a sale. On the day we just drove it into the Tesla carpark, handed them the keys during the delivery, and never saw it again.

If you go with them it couldn't be any simpler from our experience.

Tesla has no business selling old ICE cars or any ICE car at all. I assume they just buy it off you and send it to auction places like Manheim, hence the lowball offers. I've read here in the past that Tesla encouraged one person to just sell theirs privately rather than with Tesla.

Tesla has no business selling old ICE cars or any ICE car at all.

Yeah definitely. It’s pretty much the same story with legacy car dealers too, except in the case where the car you are trading in is their brand. Those are sometimes tidied up and put on their lot.

Otherwise my understanding is that they shop it around to wholesalers to get a trade in price.

Still curious if anyone has had Tesla AU make a second higher offer like I experienced.

I was offered $65k for a late 2015 Model S 70 about 9 months ago (so the car was 4 years old)....I sold it privately for $88k. I might add the car was immaculate, no seat creases, perfect paint (and I mean perfect), no curb rash.... you get the picture....perfect....man, why did I sell it!

I recently sold my '16 Model S, got a lot more for it privately than what Tesla offered 2 years ago.

I've always found it intriguing that the Tesla's on Carsales are invariably all private sales. If Tesla Inc. is taking older model Tesla's as
trade-ins on new Tesla sales, what are they doing with the trade-ins? There are almost never any "used" older Model Tesla's on the websites "used inventory". I also doubt they are flicking them off to the trade due to the fact that you rarely see a dealer offer a car on Carsales, and to be frank ICE dealers are not interested in buying them for resale to the punters. Tesla resale values are terrible and the new car retail price keeps dropping which only makes it worse. That's probably one major reason why there is no great interest from dealers in buying them through the trade for resale.

So if Tesla Inc. isn't selling them and the ICE dealers aren't selling them, where the hell are the used Tesla's going? Is Tesla telling existing owners to sell their cars privately before upgrading, or they pushing them into it by low ball trade-in offers? No idea; but I'd love to know.

As for Tesla trading in used ICE cars, that's easy. Tesla obviously want to make a sale and a new EV convert. There is a well developed trade market for the used ICE trade-ins so there is very little chance of Tesla Inc. getting stuck with them.

The trade-in and private sale I recieved on my last two model s was a much better percentage of retained value than the horrible bmw x3 and fairly average audi a4 that preceded them.
But if I bought a tesla P model a few years ago, I likely wouldn’t be so thrilled. With most products the best value is middle of the range.