Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading Model 3 with FSD for Model Y with FSD [complaint about FSD pricing].

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, there is no "ready". It's a gradual development, and I claim it will never ever be "ready", ie. final/complete. The state of roads, human drivers, legislation, insurance, makes 100% Level 5 impractical right now. Even if at some point in the future, when sharing the poorly maintained streets with unpredictable humans and all the liability and regulatory issues are put to rest, there will always be boundary cases that must be addressed with updates and changes. It will never be final.

And what FSD are you referring to? If you mean the "FSD" option that, relative to the current basic AP, adds freeway NOA with auto-itinerary and blinker stalk initiated lane changes, self-park, summon etc, then it's a clear benefit. More so than when "FSD" was an add-on to EAP. It all depends how much these capabilities add to your driving experience, relative to the need to monitor the system. For me, a vast majority of freeway miles are handled well by NOA. I do monitor closely, or "babysit" as you call it, and I do take over on occasion, but that's how it works, and it's OK by me. My cumulative stress and fatigue are significantly reduced. Hardly a "show off gimmick".

"Driving the car yourself" requires both continuous babysitting AND operating the car down to the lowest level steering and speed control operations. Even if the automation relieved merely half of those efforts, it would be a win. And for me it's way better than half. Even just reducing the stress of manually changing lanes with blind spots in dense high speed freeway splits is worth a lot. Maybe that's not a stressor for you, indeed there are different types of drivers. Maybe you have eyes in the back of your head and nanosecond reflexes. I don't. And tedious bumper to bumper traffic with lane changes is another win with automation. What comes next as the system evolves feels like a continuous bonus.

Does that answer your question?

Thank you! It's annoying when people have this absolutist mentality that until FSD is Level 5, it's useless. I also find that NoA is incredibly valuable for highway driving.

Furthermore, most people who bought FSD were never actually promised Level 5 autonomous driving. FSD is just a marketing term. Arguably SuperCruise is a better marketing term since it leaves less room for confusion, but I digress.

Reactions: Fernand and MP3Mike