Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading Model 3 with FSD for Model Y with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I considered trading my Model 3 LR with FSD for Model Y AWD with FSD, but decided not to because I paid $7,000 for FSD on the Model 3 and I would have to pay $10,000 for FSD on the Model Y, making a total $17,000 to continue having FSD.
Aren't you getting some of the money you spent on the Model 3 back? Or do you owe more or equal to what the M3 is worth?

Reactions: Watts_Up
+2 - One could make an argument that you should get MORE than $7k back for the FSD on the Model 3 when you trade it in because it's way more feature rich now than it was when you paid $7k for it.

And if you're not getting fair value for it as part of the trade-in then I agree, you aren't getting a good deal.

I'd wait a bit and see what happens with FSD. There is some talk about being able to transfer FSD to a new car, so wait and see if that actually becomes a reality...

Tesla is going to release Full Self-Driving monthly subscription in early 2021 - Electrek

On top of the new monthly subscription model, Musk said that he would also consider letting Tesla buyers transfer ownership of the Full Self-Driving package to another car if they were to upgrade – something many Tesla owners have been asking for. However, he hasn’t made a final decision on that possibility.

The offer made to me was about $1,000 more than the average kbb.com calculates for my TM3LR.
KBB numbers for Tesla’s are very high and often don’t represent realistic numbers because they are not based on sales but on advertised list prices of used cars which on used Tesla cars don’t make sense because owners overprice their cars listed online. Tesla trade values seem good on LR cars and in my opinion are better than the bigger percentage hit taken on more expensive Performance Tesla cars. FSD doesn’t offer that much actual value to Tesla on a trade because they can just activate it for no cost to them so any bump you get at trade is actually generous.

KBB numbers for Tesla’s are very high and often don’t represent realistic numbers because they are not based on sales but on
advertised list prices of used cars which on used Tesla cars don’t make sense because owners overprice their cars listed online.
Tesla trade values seem good on LR cars and in my opinion are better than
the bigger percentage hit taken on more expensive Performance Tesla cars.
FSD doesn’t offer that much actual value to Tesla on a trade because they can just activate it for no cost to them
so any bump you get at trade is actually generous.
I think this is the point, if you trade-in your car car with Tesla, you don't get any added value on your trad-in from Tesla if you have FSD.

If you sale your Tesla to a dealer, Tesla then (from what I read on various thread on this forum) disable FSD because the dealer is not the new owner.

The only way to get value from FSD is to sale your car directly to a third party.
But it take time and effort before finding a good buyer not only interested in making low-ball offers.

On top of that, in some states, a trade-in allows you to save on taxes to pay taxes only on the upgrade.
So basically Tesla trade-in seems the some simple but looks a little bit like for gambling where the house is always winning.

I considered trading my Model 3 LR with FSD for Model Y AWD with FSD, but decided not to because I paid $7,000 for FSD on the Model 3 and I would have to pay $10,000 for FSD on the Model Y, making a total $17,000 to continue having FSD.

You wouldn't look at it that way with any other car you have purchased. If I buy a BMW and add bunch of options to the car, do I expect to be able to get those same options for free on my next BMW? Why not, I already paid for those heated massage seats ;-) Why should I pay for them again? Or the Chevy pickup that cost me another $7500 because I wanted the diesel engine? Why should I have to pay that again when I get a new Chevy?

As far as trade-in stuff, I have privately sold my last two Model S's. On the last one, I got $22k more than Tesla offered me. I posted them on facebook in the Tesla for Sale by Owners page and they both sold in under a week. There is lots of demand for used Tesla's out there. I would never consider trading them in.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC and Dre78