Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading Up My Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

breser

AutoPilot Nostradamus
Aug 28, 2014
North Bend, WA
Since I got my car on September 24th without the Autopilot sensors I've been disappointed (as I've mentioned elsewhere). To resolve this I'm trading my slightly more than a month old S85 for an S85D. Figured I'd make a post detailing the experience in case anyone else was interested.

I started off the process by using the value trade-in link off the website front page on October 16th. Had a call back from Tesla on the 17th where the only thing they really wanted to know was if I was trading my S and what the mileage was. Got an email with a PDF "Pre-Inspection" offer on October 20th. Offer was for $82,000 versus the original cost of $86,820 (after tax credit). Offer was good until the 24th. After seeing the offer I'd realized I'd neglecting to mention the XPEL Ultimate, Opti-Coat Pro and Formula One Pinnacle 30% tint I had. Asked about it that day and was told on the 21st that they would need pictures to confirm it. Sent pictures that evening and after calling on Thursday (23rd) afternoon and again on Friday (24th) morning I finally got a call back and told they couldn't give me anything for those things because it was a risk for them since they'd have to stand behind it.

Thought about it and then called back to accept the offer the same day. Selling for that price in a private sale would lead to a cost higher for the buyer than a new vehicle, so I figure this is probably very good. I had a couple concerns about the transaction. One I wanted to handle the trade as essentially a separate transaction, since there was no benefit to me in letting them sit on my money for 4 months since there's no sales tax on new EVs here. Was told that shouldn't be a problem. Also I had not received the plates or the title yet. I was told that we should be able to work something out, that they didn't want to penalize me for that. The inside sales guy who was handling the trade-in offer and I agreed to move this back to the Owner Advisor I'd used on my first order. I sent him an email and he called me back that afternoon.

I chatted with him on the phone and he was very conciliatory about the situations that had happened with my first order. I wanted to have a different DS this time since the previous DS didn't communicate, he agreed to see to it that I had someone different this time. I wanted to see a sample of the Alcantara headliner (since I was thinking of getting it this time since I thought the black looked better with the grey interior). He said he'd get an inspection setup for that weekend for my existing vehicle. He told me to swing by the store that he would be working the whole weekend. We had dinner plans that evening so we stopped by on the way. While waiting for the Owner Advisory (he was on the phone when we arrived), we looked at the Alcantara. He got off the phone and we had a chance to sit down and talk. He told me he was wrong that the inspection people didn't work on the weekend so it'd be sometime the following week. We talked about how to handle the trade-in, he agreed it didn't make sense to pass the trade-in value as a credit on the new order. We talked about the tires (since site no longer mentions the Michelin's, he said he would find out for me). Then we put in the order for the new car. Only differences from my existing car is the headliner and AWD. I was wearing a Tesla jacket my girlfriend had bought me for my birthday. On our way out he asked if she wanted and jacket and provided one to her for free.

Monday comes and goes and I don't hear anything about the inspection. Tuesday afternoon I send an email to my Owner Advisory and he replies that he's forwarded it to the trade-in team. Soon I have a call from someone in California that I believe to be on the trade-in team. He apologizes for the delay saying that they had been really slammed with the D announcement. Tells me that I should be hearing from them within 48 hours to setup the inspection and that I should call back if I don't. That evening I receive an email from Alliance Inspection Management about being added as a dealer contact and a URL to set my password. I do so and log in and realize that this doesn't make much sense. So I try calling the guy in California back, get no answer so I send an email to my Owner Advisor. Soon I get a callback from the guy in California. I explain to him what happened and he puts me on hold for a while. Says that some mistake was made either on their part or on the inspection companies part and noting that I would be getting a call from them soon to setup a time.

I got a call the next day to setup the inspection, which was for Friday October 31st between 9-11am. The morning of the inspection the inspector called me. He came out looked over the vehicle carefully, checked that everything worked (radio, heater, windows, sunroof, horn, etc...). We go for a brief ride. The inspector honestly was asking a lot of questions about the car. He needed a photo of the dash with the car running and no warning lights on, which he was trying to take from the backseat but obviously couldn't since the car turns itself off when nobody is sitting in the driver's seat. I ended up sitting in the driver seat. He jokes about how strange it is to mark the "check engine compartment for fluid leaks" box as not applicable. He asks if the manual is with the car and I explain that the manual is built into the car but there's a brief quick start guide. He takes a picture of the two key fobs with the quick start guide. He did know to ask if the charger was with the car. He told me he needed to look under the car at the frame, I pointed out there wasn't much he was going to be able to see down there. He left and then shortly after called back because he'd forgotten to take a picture of the underside of the car. He left again.

So at this point I'm waiting for Tesla to look at the report and I assume set up a time to complete the transaction. I haven't confirmed my new order since I'm hoping to have this done before I do that. It's going to be a long wait till February. I'll post about how things go as the situation develops. I've got some work to do on the garage that I didn't get done before the first vehicle arrived that I'll post about that stuff as well here. Ultimately, I hope this ends up being a better experience than the last time.

That's really too bad that you're having to go through all this. I read in another thread that you missed the autopilot sensors by a day! That's incredible. What terrible luck. You deserve some serious good luck with the next one, and a lot more from Tesla than a free jacket!

Hadn't heard anything from Tesla and my 85D order is set to automatically confirm on Thursday so I sent an email to my Owner Adviser.

1) Asked for clarification on the tires. Based on other threads I'm pretty sure the Primacy tires are standard now.

2) Asked what the next steps in selling my current vehicle to them are.

Not very long after I sent my email he called me back. He Confirmed that the Primacy tires are standard now. The sale of the existing vehicle seems to be progressing, the inspection came back good (no surprise there really). He wanted to know if I'd accepted the offer price (I had) and if I had a lien (I don't). However, I still haven't received the title so they're trying to figure out what to do about that. He told me to give him a couple hours to find out how to proceed.

Just got an email from him saying that the Tesla DMV group is researching my title. Once we figure out the title I'll just drop the vehicle off at the Seattle Service Center and do some paperwork with them.

- - - Updated - - -

That's really too bad that you're having to go through all this. I read in another thread that you missed the autopilot sensors by a day! That's incredible. What terrible luck. You deserve some serious good luck with the next one, and a lot more from Tesla than a free jacket!

I'm inclined to believe that I"m getting a very favorable trade value from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got a call, DMV group says I should be receiving my title in the next few days. So plan now is to wait for the title to arrive and then set an appointment.

Although it is a shame you are not hearing anything I do actually wonder why you are trading in a perfectly good car? Cars get better always and get more options it is the typical lifespan of a car. In addition at the beginning of this year my tesla sales rep already told me that they were busy on a AWD car , she hadn't the information but it was the logical step in evolution to compete with brands such as Audi and BMW. i actually waited for Tesla to bring the black alcantara headliner as my current Audi had one and when that was introduced I told myself: The logical next step to complete the package would be a AWD so lets wait 2 months more and it seems both my sales rep and I were right.
The biggest issue with Tesla is is that everybody knows a little bit but nobody knows everything and due to that they can't inform you correctly.

Overnight I realized what Tesla told me and what has happened with the title doesn't jive. They said I should get the title within 3 days of the plates. I got the plates on the 27th of October so I should have had the title on the 30th. I also looked on the State of Washington's website and they say titles come 8-10 weeks after they are applied for. My plates show that the state processed the registration on the 22nd of October. If the title was requested at the same time that means I shouldn't get the title until end of December. Given that delay and the fact that I don't have anything on paper as to my trade value (the offer I got expired on the 24th) that makes me concerned about the fact that my order confirms. If suddenly Tesla wants to give me considerably less when the title shows up then I may be on the hook for the $2,500 deposit for a car I'm not going to want. So I sent Tesla an email this morning. I got an email back this afternoon saying that the DMV team was investigating my title. So I'm waiting on that. My intention was to cancel my order and just reorder should I not get a satisfactory answer about the trade today.

But now that they've gone and removed the Green paint and raised the price of AWD by $1,000 I guess I'm just sitting on my order for the time being.

Got a call from my Owner Advisor about the status of things last night. He said the trade/title situation was being worked on and he'd have an answer for me this morning. On the paint situation he said that vehicles with 2015 end of line dates would be contacted by Insides Sales to discuss how they could receive the option or adjust their orders. He took that to mean that my 85D which would have a 2015 end of line date would probably not be able to be green. But that Inside Sales would reach out and know for sure.

This morning I got an email from him with a new offer for the my S85, same value but the expiration is set to not expire until the title arrives and they've increased the mileage that can be put on the car. This increased my comfort level with this transaction dramatically. As a result I have confirmed my 85D order, still with green paint.

I plan to push back on any paint color change when Inside Sales calls. I've got a confirmed order so I don't think they should change paint colors on me. If that doesn't work then one option might be to drop the AWD. Another option (which I really don't think I'll do) might be to get a P85D. Guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

Got the call from Inside Sales just now.

My options are:

1) Remove AWD and get the car in December in Green.
2) Change from an 85D to a P85D, get the car in December in green.
3) Choose another color.

I'm really not happy about this, but it's what I expected based on what I was told last night.

Wow - quite the journey and it isn't over yet. Hopefully the rest will go more smoothly. I'm probably missing a statement either here or elsewhere in the forum, but do your comments about Green imply that Tesla is taking away that color? Wonder if my Tesla will now start to appreciate as a limited color edition. :)

I'm probably missing a statement either here or elsewhere in the forum, but do your comments about Green imply that Tesla is taking away that color? Wonder if my Tesla will now start to appreciate as a limited color edition. :)

Yes Green and Brown are being discontinued at the end of the year.

It's been a couple days and an update is in order. I'm still working with Tesla to try and determine what to do about the color situation.

My title arrived in the mail yesterday and I should be giving up the S85 on Monday.

I hope once the color situation is worked out it's smooth sailing from here.

Got a call from my Owner Advisor about the status of things last night. He said the trade/title situation was being worked on and he'd have an answer for me this morning. On the paint situation he said that vehicles with 2015 end of line dates would be contacted by Insides Sales to discuss how they could receive the option or adjust their orders. He took that to mean that my 85D which would have a 2015 end of line date would probably not be able to be green. But that Inside Sales would reach out and know for sure.

This morning I got an email from him with a new offer for the my S85, same value but the expiration is set to not expire until the title arrives and they've increased the mileage that can be put on the car. This increased my comfort level with this transaction dramatically. As a result I have confirmed my 85D order, still with green paint.

I plan to push back on any paint color change when Inside Sales calls. I've got a confirmed order so I don't think they should change paint colors on me. If that doesn't work then one option might be to drop the AWD. Another option (which I really don't think I'll do) might be to get a P85D. Guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

I was in a similar situation on my end....my OA and Tesla Team here in NY/Westchester were not responsive at all (only respond after i called and left several messages and 2-3 followup emails, and this is over 3-4days).....bad overall experience for my original Model S that was just delivered in Sept 2014. I am in a similar situation, after you posted your trade in value in another thread i went ahead to check on my trade in....though my mileage was slightly higher and maybe 4 days older than yours my offer came in about 4k lower, but reasonable on my end because i only pay the sales tax on the difference. Tesla came to pick up my car a few days after i agreed to trade in which was 10/28. They came and just took the car with no paperwork or any instructions, tesla service that picked up the car told me they would be contacting me regarding the details.

I was suppose to receive a call yesterday from my Tesla Rep, nothing....this was after i did 2 follow-up emails during the week and speaking to him as on the phone., our conversation was regarding the title of the vehicle and i explained to him that NO ONE at Tesla asked for the title or any instructions when they picked up the car or even the days following (usually the title transfer can be handled by dealers even if you are missing with Power of attorney or some other form since they are dealers, unless i am wrong)

Tesla was suppose to overnight a check to my finance company over 2 weeks ago, but has not happened yet. Now my loan is collecting interest on this amount and i expect Tesla to pay for this.

Tesla Service/sales team interaction experience is the worst i have ever experienced.

I was in a similar situation on my end....my OA and Tesla Team here in NY/Westchester were not responsive at all (only respond after i called and left several messages and 2-3 followup emails, and this is over 3-4days).....bad overall experience for my original Model S that was just delivered in Sept 2014. I am in a similar situation, after you posted your trade in value in another thread i went ahead to check on my trade in....though my mileage was slightly higher and maybe 4 days older than yours my offer came in about 4k lower, but reasonable on my end because i only pay the sales tax on the difference. Tesla came to pick up my car a few days after i agreed to trade in which was 10/28. They came and just took the car with no paperwork or any instructions, tesla service that picked up the car told me they would be contacting me regarding the details.

I was suppose to receive a call yesterday from my Tesla Rep, nothing....this was after i did 2 follow-up emails during the week and speaking to him as on the phone., our conversation was regarding the title of the vehicle and i explained to him that NO ONE at Tesla asked for the title or any instructions when they picked up the car or even the days following (usually the title transfer can be handled by dealers even if you are missing with Power of attorney or some other form since they are dealers, unless i am wrong)

I was constantly reminding them that I did not have the title during this transaction. Everyone told me it wasn't a problem and not to worry about it. When we got to the point where we were ready to drop the vehicle off my OA (unlike everyone else) finally pushed to find out what we had to do since we didn't have the title. The DMV team told him that they could not take the title in without a title. Sounds to me like in your case nobody checked and now they're probably trying to figure out what to do.

Tesla was suppose to overnight a check to my finance company over 2 weeks ago, but has not happened yet. Now my loan is collecting interest on this amount and i expect Tesla to pay for this.

All I can say is wow. Sounds like you have a separate legal owner (the finance company) in which case Tesla can't get title of the vehicle until they pay them. So in my opinion the title is secondary to payment here.

Tesla Service/sales team interaction experience is the worst i have ever experienced.

For all the difficulties I have had I have to say that my Owner Adviser has been great. Were it not for him I'm sure things would have been worse. He's responsive, listens to your problems and actively tries to solve them. He may not always have the solutions but he works to get the right people solving them.

My experience with service though very minimal has also been very good.

Based on what I've been told the trade-in team has been very swamped since the D announcement. All of my problems with the trade have just been delays due to that from my perspective.

I hope that Tesla gets things worked out for you and takes care of you.

At least you still get to drive your model s and keep the same trade in amount

I've driven the vehicle exactly once since the 21st of October. Tesla did generously give me more mileage when extending the trade offer but conditions of the trade stipulate "Like New" condition. Can't justify doing anything to risk that. I won't be driving it again until it's going in for the trade. Yes this is taking a tremendous amount of will power. The one time I drove it so far was this weekend when that willpower failed.

Though this next week really isn't going to take much willpower since I won't be around to drive it. Heading out of town to visit family, which is partly why the delay is so long.

Last edited: