Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than allowing you to be more leveraged, I am not aware of any potential downsides (but that's not saying much).
I'd say the biggest downside to it is your own self. Margin requirement can appear deceptively low in the beginning but it can get out of control very quickly if you get too leveraged and things move against you rapidly. As a result, I have significantly scaled back from selling long dated options on PM. Too much time in between means a lot more things can go wrong before theta can start working in your favor.

I read up on how Schwab calculate used margin on naked puts.

Greater of:
  • 20% underlying value - out of the money amount + premium
  • 10% contract value + premium
  • $100 per contract

So - a $1000 put 1/22 - which pays $330 - will at a SP of $800 cost :

1000*0.2 - (-200) +330 = 200+200+330 = $730 x100 - $73,000 for each naked put.

But then - if premium is add to my cash balance, the margin spent would in effect be equal $400x100 - $40,000 for each put sold?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: UCF3
You are a voice of reason. :)

I will tune back some. I can roll the current puts out to jan22, and close most..will decrease my margin usage <10%.

Will wait to see what happens next weeks.

Best of luck whatever happens. I'm starting to think I'll have ITM puts at the end of this week. Which is actually a good thing as it'll mean that my ITM call is that much closer to being ATM! So much rolling, so little time :).

Selling long covered calls for massive premiums looks more and more enticing for HODL'ers semi-willing to sell and not interested in trading much.

The longest and most OTM call I see available is Mar 2023 @ $1700 at about a $21k premium per contract. As Trotter would say, "That's a lotta money."

I'm holding, but have been able to capitalize on my willingness to sell high without having to watch the stock via the selling of covered calls. Sitting on some $1200/$1300 contracts which I'll likely roll out a bit higher if/when the June 2023 calls are available and the SP spikes during this stimulus/earnings period now into Feb.

I mean, we could see $2k contracts paying $20k premiums for June 2023 if SP moves the way I think it will and volatility rises in parallel. Personally I'm not afraid to call that free money, considering we were all fantasizing of selling at $1k post-split not 18 months ago. Good times......just a month later than we thought.

The longest and most OTM call I see available is Mar 2023 @ $1700 at about a $21k premium per contract.

That sounds awesome... the only thing is, this week has been pretty flat and with the earnings call next week I sort of expect volatility to go up (not quite sure whether that's sell the news or buy the news, but one way or the other). Though, I guess rising volatility in the short term has a pretty small impact on a 2023 expiration. Hmm.

Reactions: saniflash
Selling long covered calls for massive premiums looks more and more enticing for HODL'ers semi-willing to sell and not interested in trading much.

The longest and most OTM call I see available is Mar 2023 @ $1700 at about a $21k premium per contract. .

I know there are a lot of unknown variables, but I wonder how of a difference there would be in the total premium amount selling monthlies for that same time period.

I know there are a lot of unknown variables, but I wonder how of a difference there would be in the total premium amount selling monthlies for that same time period.

I would expect premium per month selling monthlies, to exceed premium per month for selling a 12 or 24 month option. There will be rare setups where the long duration will match or beat the series of shorter term trades.

I haven't seriously investigated monthlies vs. yearlies, but I have investigated weeklies vs 1-2 month options for my own use. Overall I felt I could earn something like 25% more by selling weeklies at 2x the effort, over a strategy focused on the 1 month options.

I would expect premium per month selling monthlies, to exceed premium per month for selling a 12 or 24 month option. There will be rare setups where the long duration will match or beat the series of shorter term trades.

I haven't seriously investigated monthlies vs. yearlies, but I have investigated weeklies vs 1-2 month options for my own use. Overall I felt I could earn something like 25% more by selling weeklies at 2x the effort, over a strategy focused on the 1 month options.
Definitely agree. However, everyone should remember that selling more times, whether weekly/monthly/yearly, means more chances to lose shares. Thus, higher risk for greater returns. As always, nothing is free.

• Love
Reactions: adiggs
Wake up traders, your volatility has arrived!
I expect this is EXACTLY what the MMs are doing. It worked on me a few weeks ago and it will probably work on others this week. However, armed with my previous experience, and knowledge from @Papafox , I fully expected the Monday morning rocket ride, followed by the MMD. I was holding some Friday 840/850c that were down about 30% since I bought them, (last week was a bit hard on my convictions). Over the weekend I guessed on an option price near $70 if the SP went to $900, set my sell orders for $69.20, $70, and $98 in the different accounts and went to sleep. Checked the SP upon waking, and ran to login, to see that I basically hit the morning peak dead on (lucky :)). Sold for 50% profit on about 2/3rds and holding the last 1/3rd to either exercise or sell after earnings. I didn’t have enough cash to exercise those options, so now pretty happy. Hopefully, I will be able to pick up 200-300 shares.
Edit: I just wish that I had left some free cash for buying during the MMD. The past few weeks I just kept loading up on calls and selling puts until there was basically nothing left. Everything is in retirement accounts, so no margin allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: