Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Is the following distance adjustable in 2021 MY when using cruise control? Can the following distance feature be turn off? A large prt of my driving is two lane highways. Traffic awareness cruise control is see the oncoming traffic and applying the brakes. Today I drove 250 miles on two lane highways and the brakes were applied because I was using the traffic awareness cruise control. It was a miserable trip and experience with this Y. Very disappointed and dissatisfied.
2022 M3 LR new owner here. I drive 20 mile commute to work on mostly 2 lane roads; along with a stretch of 5 line road with a left turn lane. All 50-55 mph speed limits. 2 lane road with curves. The phantom stopping is very annoying. I would estimate the brakes are applied for no reason 20x each way. The car constantly brakes for oncoming traffic. Sometimes it brakes with no traffic present on the 5 lane stretch of road. Love the car. Hate this adaptive cruise control option. needs major improvements.

I typically just turn cruise off. I use cruise to make sure I maintain a safe constant speed.

On my way home today, I am going to turn the adaptive cruise option off and see how it goes. And leave the emergency braking on.

This

Reactions: gforce2002
Tried TACC again today and notices that the largest following distance setting of 7 was only about 1 second of following distance (behind a vehicle going 55-60mph). If that is the maximum following distance that TACC will use, does that mean that some of the smaller settings are unsafely close?

Even 1 second following distance is likely insufficient reaction time if the vehicle ahead changes lane to avoid a stopped obstacle (like a dropped load or vehicles in a traffic jam), giving the driver 1 second to avoid crashing into the suddenly unmasked obstacle.

Reactions: enemji
I think blaming TACC for slowing down on curves may not be totally correct. There is the Auto Emergency Braking System to consider. The car is intelligent enough to detect safe emergency stopping distance based on speed of the car, view of the road, curvature of the road etc. One can say the car can take a curve at 70 mph no problem! But, can your car see beyond the stopping distance at a certain speed at a certain curve is another question. So, the car slow down at a curve to tell the driver that the car can only stop safely at a certain speed.

For me I always slows down or coast a bit when entering a curve to make sure I can take the curve safely and stop safely if there is a stopped car just beyond my view.

So the Model 3 is the first car that I have had with any kind of adaptive cruise control... so I tried using it a few times. Noticed some behavior that made me less confident in using it:
  1. It has adjustable following distance, but even the largest following distance (setting of 7) seemed to be closer than I like. If I am behind a slower vehicle, I prefer to leave more following space, so that when a space opens up in the next lane, I can use the following space to accelerate as I merge into the next lane to pass.
  2. When approaching a slower vehicle ahead, it keeps the set speed until it reaches the set following distance and then abruptly slows down, rather than slowing down more gradually to match the slower vehicle's speed by the time the set following distance is reached.
  3. Once, while driving in the right lane of the freeway with three lanes each direction and no traffic (or anything but empty road) nearby ahead in any lane, it abruptly slowed down for no apparent reason.
Anyone else have similar or other issues with the traffic aware cruise control? Is this type of behavior (at least #1 and #2 above) typical for adaptive cruise control in other cars?
All I can say is to learn to use the Right Scroll Wheel to slow down or speed up while in AP to adjust to your preference.

All I can say is to learn to use the Right Scroll Wheel to slow down or speed up while in AP to adjust to your preference.
Of course, that removes the "traffic awareness" from the cruise control, because you are then using it like dumb cruise control.

Which may be perfectly fine for some people, but those who want adaptive cruise control will be disappointed.

Of course, that removes the "traffic awareness" from the cruise control, because you are then using it like dumb cruise control.

Which may be perfectly fine for some people, but those who want adaptive cruise control will be disappointed.
Not really like dumb cruise control. My older 2015 Lexus cruise control will not follow cars at a set distance with different speed preset. In the Lexus cruise control when the car in front of you is traveling at slower speed, you have to brake out of it. Also, it will not accelerate by itself if the car in front is moving out of a stop. Tesla sometime start a little late in the follow and speed up slower depending on your previous speed setting. But in that case the scroll wheel is quite handy to try to catch up. I used that quite a bit on heavy traffic on 405 freeway in LA.

Tried TACC again today and notices that the largest following distance setting of 7 was only about 1 second of following distance (behind a vehicle going 55-60mph). If that is the maximum following distance that TACC will use, does that mean that some of the smaller settings are unsafely close?

Even 1 second following distance is likely insufficient reaction time if the vehicle ahead changes lane to avoid a stopped obstacle (like a dropped load or vehicles in a traffic jam), giving the driver 1 second to avoid crashing into the suddenly unmasked obstacle.
well thats just a lie. 7 gives me 4-5 seconds of space at that speed in my 2022 MYP. 3 gives about 1 second. I change my distance often on my drives. but it also depends on your speed. if im going 30, a setting of 3 gives about 2 car lengths. setting it to 5 gives about 4.

Reactions: metamix and enemji
Not really like dumb cruise control. My older 2015 Lexus cruise control will not follow cars at a set distance with different speed preset. In the Lexus cruise control when the car in front of you is traveling at slower speed, you have to brake out of it. Also, it will not accelerate by itself if the car in front is moving out of a stop. Tesla sometime start a little late in the follow and speed up slower depending on your previous speed setting. But in that case the scroll wheel is quite handy to try to catch up. I used that quite a bit on heavy traffic on 405 freeway in LA.
really? My sister had a 2012 Prius that had adaptive cruise that worked perfectly (I can't remember if it would slow to stop or not and I assume it was radar based.) It seems odd that Toyota would put something on a Prius 3 years before a Lexus.
well thats just a lie. 7 gives me 4-5 seconds of space at that speed in my 2022 MYP. 3 gives about 1 second. I change my distance often on my drives. but it also depends on your speed. if im going 30, a setting of 3 gives about 2 car lengths. setting it to 5 gives about 4.
It depends on what version software you have and whether you're using AP or FSD or not. I've noticed that FSD and AP tend to move the car much closer than TACC, often closer than I would like, even though I have the distance set at 7. I've noticed the TACC following distance seems to be shorter, too.

really? My sister had a 2012 Prius that had adaptive cruise that worked perfectly (I can't remember if it would slow to stop or not and I assume it was radar based.) It seems odd that Toyota would put something on a Prius 3 years before a Lexus.

It depends on what version software you have and whether you're using AP or FSD or not. I've noticed that FSD and AP tend to move the car much closer than TACC, often closer than I would like, even though I have the distance set at 7. I've noticed the TACC following distance seems to be shorter, too.
I seriously doubt the adaptive cruise control on the 2012 Prius or 2015 Lexus will slow to follow the car ahead traveling slower. Both cars do not have the necessary hardware (forward camera or long range radar) to detect traveling objects ahead. The 2015 Lexus do have close range radar for obstacles near by warning (sound warning only and not stopping the car) when at slow speed parking.

I seriously doubt the adaptive cruise control on the 2012 Prius or 2015 Lexus will slow to follow the car ahead traveling slower. Both cars do not have the necessary hardware (forward camera or long range radar) to detect traveling objects ahead. The 2015 Lexus do have close range radar for obstacles near by warning (sound warning only and not stopping the car) when at slow speed parking.
Well, it sounds like the Lexus didn't have adaptive cruise, so it wouldn't be able to follow anything other than its own shadow.

As far as the Prius. goes, you dan doubt all you want. I actually drove the car on multiple occasions and it worked perfectly. If you want to trust your assumptions more than an actual experience, go ahead.

So the Model 3 is the first car that I have had with any kind of adaptive cruise control... so I tried using it a few times. Noticed some behavior that made me less confident in using it:
  1. It has adjustable following distance, but even the largest following distance (setting of 7) seemed to be closer than I like. If I am behind a slower vehicle, I prefer to leave more following space, so that when a space opens up in the next lane, I can use the following space to accelerate as I merge into the next lane to pass.
  2. When approaching a slower vehicle ahead, it keeps the set speed until it reaches the set following distance and then abruptly slows down, rather than slowing down more gradually to match the slower vehicle's speed by the time the set following distance is reached.
  3. Once, while driving in the right lane of the freeway with three lanes each direction and no traffic (or anything but empty road) nearby ahead in any lane, it abruptly slowed down for no apparent reason.
Anyone else have similar or other issues with the traffic aware cruise control? Is this type of behavior (at least #1 and #2 above) typical for adaptive cruise control in other cars?
This is a thread to another group that i shared this issue with.

Reactions: enemji
….
1) I see cars stopped ahead. The car in front of me is slowing down. Yet my car races up and then slams on the breaks.
2) The car ahead starts to drive away. My car sits there. Once it decides to go, it launches rather than smoothly accelerating and maintaining distance.

Exactly this. I owned ID.4 (Eu version) before I went to Model 3. Travel Assist in ID.4 was way better than TACC (with other cars). Although AP/TACC is many other ways better, but not in situations like that.

Well, it sounds like the Lexus didn't have adaptive cruise, so it wouldn't be able to follow anything other than its own shadow.

As far as the Prius. goes, you dan doubt all you want. I actually drove the car on multiple occasions and it worked perfectly. If you want to trust your assumptions more than an actual experience, go ahead.
Sorry, my Lexus must not have the optional Dynamic Radar Cruise Control installed.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I think blaming TACC for slowing down on curves may not be totally correct. There is the Auto Emergency Braking System to consider. The car is intelligent enough to detect safe emergency stopping distance based on speed of the car, view of the road, curvature of the road etc. One can say the car can take a curve at 70 mph no problem! But, can your car see beyond the stopping distance at a certain speed at a certain curve is another question. So, the car slow down at a curve to tell the driver that the car can only stop safely at a certain speed.

For me I always slows down or coast a bit when entering a curve to make sure I can take the curve safely and stop safely if there is a stopped car just beyond my view.
The recommended way is slow down entering a curve and speed up at the apex and exit fast. Not only is it visually safer, it is even better for vehicle dynamics

Reactions: KLam and sleepydoc
The recommended way is slow down entering a curve and speed up at the apex and exit fast. Not only is it visually safer, it is even better for vehicle dynamics
I seldom use AP with AutoSteer on two lane highways. There is this Route 152 between I-5 and 101 , I drove often between LA and San Francisco, which I just switch off AP as it gives me an unsafe feeling. The current implementation just don't convey confidence to me. The reason I think is that there is no feedback. A slight slow down of even 1 mph when entering a curve will tell me the system is handling it and I would feel better. As its now it barrel down at 65 mph onto a 55 mph recommended curve and drive a little wide and close to the center line before exiting. Also, a simple way of entering a bias on lane centering will help also when driving with a lot of opposite direction traffic.

Another thing on FSD Beta taking a right or left turn tells me that the programmers/Project lead are not "good" drivers (sorry about that). I can't even get out of my home neighborhood streets without disengaging. 1) the steering wheel jerk like hell on turns. Do they know you can take a curve by slowing and speeding up with a set wheel angle? 2) my neighborhood has 4+ car width unmarked streets. The car just drive in the middle of the road. Taking right or left turn from there! It will never pass a DMV driving test!!!