Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it does not accelerate properly to follow the car in front in slow speeds, leaving a huge gap that is annoying the hell out of me and the cars behind me.
This was perfect before, now it is unusable to me after one of the software updates.

I really hope they revert this insanely relaxed TACC acceleration, or let if be configurable, also for non-FSD customers.
It leaving too much space, only frustrates you. There is nothing wrong with a full car length or even 2 when stopped. And 3-4 when moving slow is actually what’s recommended. So maybe change your expectations?

It leaving too much space, only frustrates you. There is nothing wrong with a full car length or even 2 when stopped. And 3-4 when moving slow is actually what’s recommended. So maybe change your expectations?
2 car lengths when stopped is excessive. There's nothing illegal about it, but doing so can prevent cars behind you from entering a turn lane or reduce the number of cars that can make it through an intersection, what people would generally consider to be inconsiderate driving etiquette.

As far as spacing when driving, it depends on the actual speed. 3-4 car lengths when moving at 5 MPH is excessive. If you're moving at 50 MPH it's inadequate. The recommendation both I and my kids were taught in driving school was time-based, not length based.

Reactions: slmskrs
2 car lengths when stopped is excessive. There's nothing illegal about it, but doing so can prevent cars behind you from entering a turn lane or reduce the number of cars that can make it through an intersection, what people would generally consider to be inconsiderate driving etiquette.

As far as spacing when driving, it depends on the actual speed. 3-4 car lengths when moving at 5 MPH is excessive. If you're moving at 50 MPH it's inadequate. The recommendation both I and my kids were taught in driving school was time-based, not length based.
The gently press the pedal to nudge the car forward if someone behind you needs to get into a turning lane. I always leave 1-1.5 car lengths. Be aware of others. I don’t understand why people have a problem with these “interventions” this is not level 5 or even 3.

The gently press the pedal to nudge the car forward if someone behind you needs to get into a turning lane. I always leave 1-1.5 car lengths. Be aware of others. I don’t understand why people have a problem with these “interventions” this is not level 5 or even 3.
Last time I did that the car kept slamming on the brakes and pissed off the driver behind me.

You’re right, this isn’t a huge deal, but it is an annoyance that seems like it should be trivial to fix.

Is there a way to control the acceleration/deceleration of the Telsa, especially in heavy traffic? Not just distance of following. In highway rush hour, I want the car to behave like being driven by a chauffeur, not a teenager boy, and not spill my coffee.

This is a problem when the cars ahead of me change lanes and leave a gap. The gap tends to significant when there's a main exit. So the car accelerates to fill that gap and then slams on the brakes because ahead it's still rush hour traffic. We the good drivers have learned to look further ahead at the traffic conditions in general, and not to compete to cover the gap the fastest or beat the guy/gal next to my lane.

My 2016 Acura has crude adaptive cruise control and of course it doesn't work well. I thought Tesla would have figured it out by now with all the cameras and traffic information in hand. Driving modestly please, it's not a race to get to work or home. If I want to compete, I'll go to the track.

Is there a way to control the acceleration/deceleration of the Telsa, especially in heavy traffic? Not just distance of following. In highway rush hour, I want the car to behave like being driven by a chauffeur, not a teenager boy, and not spill my coffee.

This is a problem when the cars ahead of me change lanes and leave a gap. The gap tends to significant when there's a main exit. So the car accelerates to fill that gap and then slams on the brakes because ahead it's still rush hour traffic. We the good drivers have learned to look further ahead at the traffic conditions in general, and not to compete to cover the gap the fastest or beat the guy/gal next to my lane.

My 2016 Acura has crude adaptive cruise control and of course it doesn't work well. I thought Tesla would have figured it out by now with all the cameras and traffic information in hand. Driving modestly please, it's not a race to get to work or home. If I want to compete, I'll go to the track.
Use your right scroll wheel to adjust your max speed to a smaller difference with the traveling speed.

FSD Beta stack on the freeway is smooth. Set it to Chill mode.