Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control - initial set speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, we do need more, because the speed displayed may be unsafe for current conditions, or may be not the real speed limit. I want to set speed to the speed I want, not what the car thinks is the speed limit.

Please don't quote me out of context. I was replying to having a warning screen when you first get in the car to warn you what the TACC will be, my point is you don't need that since the car already shows you what the TACC speed will be. This is 100% different than if you agree or not what the TACC speed should be.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and DR61
Please don't quote me out of context. I was replying to having a warning screen when you first get in the car to warn you what the TACC will be, my point is you don't need that since the car already shows you what the TACC speed will be. This is 100% different than if you agree or not what the TACC speed should be.

I think if you asked a hundred people what the speed limit icon means on the display they would mostly say...nice it is telling you the speed limit and not, that is the speed the cruise control will accelerate to. Sure, you learn what it means AFTER you've used it a few times.
Someone who had a previous Tesla without this feature wouldn't know either.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
1. I fully agree that TACC should set at current speed no matter what that current speed is. At a minimum, the set speed should be pre-adjustable, just like the follow distance can be pre-adjusted.

2. On a slightly related note, I have a question about speed adjustment. Assume TACC is engaged, and you're happily speeding along... and you'd like to go 1 mph slower or faster. If I roll the right button up or down just one click, *nothing* happens. If I go a second click, I get that 1mph, a third click gives me another... and it continues to work as expected. But that first click up or down consistently does nothing. Is this intended? Are others experiencing this as well? Is it to prevent accidental speed changes perhaps? I sure don't like it, and always wonder if something is wrong with my button.

Reactions: mpt
1. I fully agree that TACC should set at current speed no matter what that current speed is. At a minimum, the set speed should be pre-adjustable, just like the follow distance can be pre-adjusted.

2. On a slightly related note, I have a question about speed adjustment. Assume TACC is engaged, and you're happily speeding along... and you'd like to go 1 mph slower or faster. If I roll the right button up or down just one click, *nothing* happens. If I go a second click, I get that 1mph, a third click gives me another... and it continues to work as expected. But that first click up or down consistently does nothing. Is this intended? Are others experiencing this as well? Is it to prevent accidental speed changes perhaps? I sure don't like it, and always wonder if something is wrong with my button.

I have noticed the one click recently as well - not sure if this is new or always been that way (I feel like it was implemented with v9).

On the positive side, since you can scroll the wheel to remove the nag, you can do one click and remove the nag without the speed setting changing.

I have noticed the one click recently as well - not sure if this is new or always been that way (I feel like it was implemented with v9).

On the positive side, since you can scroll the wheel to remove the nag, you can do one click and remove the nag without the speed setting changing.
I'm pretty sure that it was like this before V9.... but I can't say for certain as I only recently began using TACC consistently, and paying attention to some of the crazy aspects. MAN, that acceleration up to speed+offset was disturbing the first time it happened! Mostly because I was just fooling around with all the settings, and thought it would be fun to have a speed *alert* when I was going wayyyy too fast. Not in a million years would have I guessed that setting an alert (and then actually turning OFF the alerts, mind you!) that my CC would choose that speed as an initial setting.

But anyway... huh. Interesting silver lining about using that "free" click for the nag release. I still find it easier just to wiggle the wheel a bit.

Now... what happens if you use that free click.... and then a few minutes later want to adjust the speed. Is there another free click offered up? After how much time has passed?

Totally agree!

I have not paid enough attention to remember if anything has changed for me, but at least in the past, if not still now, that first click of the wheel sometimes changes the set speed, and sometimes does not. Maybe the behavior changed at some point and I registered it as inconsistent behavior rather than as a change.

Thanks for the intel. I'll be trying it later today. I wonder if there is some timing aspect to when the first click counts or doesn't. When I see the problem, it is usually after first driving for quite a while at whatever the initially-set speed was. Might be that it works early, but not later? Who knows.

I know that we've a bit off topic with scroll wheel operation.... but.... testing a bit yesterday, I found that the first click DOWN does nothing. But the first click UP works as expected. So that certainly seems like a bug, not a feature.

I made a point of trying both and both worked on the first click. Version 2018.39.7.
I appreciate the effort. My only remaining question is *how* did you try them both? Did you click into TACC and then roll the button down, followed by exiting TACC, reentering TACC and rolling the button up? I ask because as soon as the wheel starts adjusting the speed, it works correctly in both directions. So if I activate TACC, and roll up one click, it works. When I then roll down one click, that works too. But if I first enter TACC and roll down first, it does not work. Then when I roll up one it works, and if I follow that with rolling down one, it works as well. It is that very first roll down after entering TACC that does not work on my car with the same software version as yours.

I appreciate the effort. My only remaining question is *how* did you try them both? Did you click into TACC and then roll the button down, followed by exiting TACC, reentering TACC and rolling the button up? I ask because as soon as the wheel starts adjusting the speed, it works correctly in both directions. So if I activate TACC, and roll up one click, it works. When I then roll down one click, that works too. But if I first enter TACC and roll down first, it does not work. Then when I roll up one it works, and if I follow that with rolling down one, it works as well. It is that very first roll down after entering TACC that does not work on my car with the same software version as yours.

In all probability I did it wrong. I was in TACC, driving along, and adjusted the speed, but I don't remember if I adjusted up or down. I will try again, keeping in mind what you wrote above.

Yesterday: Engage AP, scroll one click down. Set speed drops by one mph. Disengage AP. Engage AP again, one click up, set speed goes up by one mph. Disengage AP. Engage TACC after a full stop and right turn. One click down, set speed drops by one mph.

This morning I installed 42.2 and repeated the above with the same results.

Once this morning I engaged AP and the set speed was less than the displayed speed limit. I thought maybe they had fixed it so it would engage at current speed rather than the detected speed limit (+ offset) but I could not get it to repeat the behavior. When I tried again, it engaged at the detected speed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
Interesting about the "set at current speed that's lower than the limit" business.

Thanks for the testing. In my case, the action of that first down-click remains erratic. The only consistency is that when I engage TACC (and here's yet another variable... I'm only using TACC for this testing, and not "double click" AP as you are) for the first time on a given drive, the initial down-click does not register. After that initial down click, then every subsequent up or down works. I can disengage and reengage, and now the first down-click works. I next need to try clicking up as the first action on the first engagement of a given drive, because it seems to need that one try to starting working in both directions again. Clearly it is still odd for me. I haven't received the 42.2 update yet, so am still on 39.

The variables are many, so I have to be aware of what all is happening when I test it:
  1. TACC only vs AP
  2. Engaging TACC below the speed limit because of trailing another car that is currently traveling below the limit (so no initial acceleration)
  3. Engaging TACC when traveling at or about the speed limit (so no initial acceleration)
  4. Engaging TACC when traveling below the speed limit with no obstruction in front (initial acceleration)
I have no idea if there are different responses in each of these situations. I just know that I've often trying to click down first, and it usually doesn't register for me.

I have gotten into the habit of using AP any time the car allows and I'm not expecting to turn or stop within a block or two. I just think it's a better driver than I am, as long as I'm alert for the kinds of things it's not so good at. I use TACC alone on roads where AP is not available. In my neighborhood there are a few roads without lane lines. It only needs a line on one side, but won't work without any lines.

So if the ignore-click is only the first use after turning the car on, and only for TACC when AP is not engaged, then I have not tried that situation yet. But if it's only the first use after starting the car, then it's a curiosity but not a concern for me because I don't see that as a safety issue or even a serious usability issue. They'll probably fix it in a software release before we can figure out the precise conditions where it occurs. ;)

Understood. And I agree on all accounts. Tesla *does* need to be made aware of it though. Or maybe it's the case that I'm the only one having the issue? I'll just keep testing it when I can (always fun to have games to play to make the drive more interesting, right?) and when I finally have something conclusive, I'll submit it to Tesla.... unless I have my next service appointment before that, then I'll address it with the folks there. I appreciate your help (and I'm glad that you mentioned using AP, as that's a variable that I will next text)