Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control - initial set speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And while the car shouldn't always allow for my failures, it has put me in a dangerous situation when I've inadvertently pulled the lever down once to clear my windshield while pulling out of a parking space (On my Toyota, that lever is the wiper control... it happens). The car leapt forward, trying to achieve the speed limit of the road just outside the parking lot.

This was mentioned in the posts from early October, right before this thread was revived yesterday. You can use the cruise control in the current configuration and NOT have the car leap forward unexpectedly!

Set the speed alert function to +2 mph or whatever reasonable value you want it to be. Drive at 30 mph in a 55 mph zone (maybe it’s a construction zone, maybe the database is wrong) and push down on the stalk once to activate cruise control. The cruise is now set to something like 57, but as long as you keep your foot on the accelerator, the Model 3 will NOT accelerate. You are in control of how fast it speeds up to your set speed! While keeping your foot lightly on the accelerator, use the scroll wheel to adjust the set speed down to the desired speed. Once that speed is set properly, take your foot off the accelerator and the car now controls the speed. Pretty easy to do, just don’t immediately take your foot off the accelerator when activating the TACC if the programmed set speed is above your desired set speed. This allows you to normally have it auto-set the speed in most cases, but adjust it down when needed.

This was mentioned in the posts from early October, right before this thread was revived yesterday. You can use the cruise control in the current configuration and NOT have the car leap forward unexpectedly!

Set the speed alert function to +2 mph or whatever reasonable value you want it to be. Drive at 30 mph in a 55 mph zone (maybe it’s a construction zone, maybe the database is wrong) and push down on the stalk once to activate cruise control. The cruise is now set to something like 57, but as long as you keep your foot on the accelerator, the Model 3 will NOT accelerate. You are in control of how fast it speeds up to your set speed! While keeping your foot lightly on the accelerator, use the scroll wheel to adjust the set speed down to the desired speed. Once that speed is set properly, take your foot off the accelerator and the car now controls the speed. Pretty easy to do, just don’t immediately take your foot off the accelerator when activating the TACC if the programmed set speed is above your desired set speed. This allows you to normally have it auto-set the speed in most cases, but adjust it down when needed.

I recall this being mentioned back then. I tried it, and to my surprise it worked. But it was awkward and felt difficult. I've just learned not to engage cruise control or autosteer in situations when I don't want the car to speed up. It would be nice if the speed-set scroll wheel would function when cruise control is off, allowing the set speed to be changed before engaging it.

I recall this being mentioned back then. I tried it, and to my surprise it worked. But it was awkward and felt difficult. I've just learned not to engage cruise control or autosteer in situations when I don't want the car to speed up. It would be nice if the speed-set scroll wheel would function when cruise control is off, allowing the set speed to be changed before engaging it.
Right. What Daniel says. I understand that this odd action "works." What also works is having TACC set to the current speed, and then those who wish to go faster, can merely scroll the wheel. Allowing pre-set scrolling would help everybody, no matter how this initial set thing works.

What I don't like about what swaltner mentions above is that I need to take eyes off the road to see where my set speed is when I initiate and potentially have my foot on the accelerator. The benefit of using current speed as the initial set speed is that we all know EXACTLY what speed the car wants to attain (the current speed, of course). And those who wish to go faster, can just spin the wheel until they like the speed, without having to even look at it. Or they can tap the speed limit, etc.

I don't say any of this to argue. I only say it to show the issues, and the desires of some of us who don't want the car to try and attain the speed limit + offset every time.

There's also the issue of the speed warning aspect being completely useless for those of us who use a huge negative offset to try and get the system to not accelerate every time we set TACC. Why not a speed offset for the warning (like now), and a separate choice for what we'd like the initial set speed to be (current speed or speed limit+offset). Wouldn't that make everybody happy? Sure seems to be an easy implement if somebody at Tesla cared.

Reactions: mpt
I totally agree that the current design isn’t the best and that this is just a way to workaround what they’ve implemented with the current hardware. I had sent in a support email at one point to suggest a way to deal with this using the current hardware (control stalk). That was to make a half-press set TACC to the current speed and a full press set TACC to the calculated speed. They thanked me for the suggestion, but that was over a year ago. This was one of the things that I had even picked out as a concern BEFORE I purchased the Model 3 by reading the owner’s manual from cover to cover and specifically asked about it during my delivery.

I’ve mostly come to accept it, but it is one of my big pet peeves about the car that I’ll point out to potential buyers along with the workaround of using the accelerator pedal.

I totally agree that the current design isn’t the best and that this is just a way to workaround what they’ve implemented with the current hardware. I had sent in a support email at one point to suggest a way to deal with this using the current hardware (control stalk). That was to make a half-press set TACC to the current speed and a full press set TACC to the calculated speed. They thanked me for the suggestion, but that was over a year ago. This was one of the things that I had even picked out as a concern BEFORE I purchased the Model 3 by reading the owner’s manual from cover to cover and specifically asked about it during my delivery.

I’ve mostly come to accept it, but it is one of my big pet peeves about the car that I’ll point out to potential buyers along with the workaround of using the accelerator pedal.
Roger that! Thanks much.