Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) should be standard free of cost - Let's vote and make Elon Hear

Should Tesla include traffic aware cruise control (TACC) as standard for free of cost ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget our Model 3s are not base models either.

Anyways, It is called different names by different manufacturers, ACC, DRCC etc. For example Prius Prime even base model has Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P) which include DRCC as well as steering assist. Honda Clarity, I think even new Corolla, but check it out, I think there is long list now-a-days.

Some cars needs to add tech package, but now-a-day it is becoming quite common.

But in the context of this thread I think ask is should it be free or just $1k upgrade vs part of $5k EAP. I like EAP, but most folks feel TACC is more useful for them than EAP and not worth additional $5k.

BMW, MB, Audi, Acura all have autonomous cruise control as an add on or a package. Lexus has it base but navigation is extra $1700. Model 3 includes it as part of a package.

Lol... I know why most folks voted no...:D

The question is more about would you have taken EAP for $5k if they offered TACC for free or just $1k upgrade!..:rolleyes:

I would still buy EAP over just TACC - I like autosteer on my boring daily commute. But I also bought the FSD package, so I am probably in the minority. Most people would just buy the $1000 option and Tesla knows that.

Reactions: chinnam3
For what it's worth, in their current state, I'd spend up to:

$800 for a TACC standalone.
$2k for full EAP (incl. TACC)
$0 for FSD.

Everyone has a different price sensitivity. That's mine.

How can someone mark this post "Disagree"? You disagree that this is my price sensitivity? You disagree that this is what I would spend? What, you think someone is holding a gun to my head and making me lie to you?

I'm interested to know how pricing will be affected in the future (2-3 years). Usually technological features decrease in price as time goes on. Honda Sensing will be standard in all cars 2022, which includes TACC. It's already standard on a few model trims, and I can see it being standard on most models by 2020. I know luxury car makers like to nickel and dime you on options, but I see TACC as one of those things eventually becoming standard in the near future, just like AEB.
+1 most sensible and logical answer.

It’s an interesting question. From a business standpoint, Tesla has priced this software upgrade pretty well. If everyone buys, then they priced too low. If no one buys, it’s too high. Basically, they’re trying to maximize expected value. 70% of customers paying $5k is better than 95% paying $1500.

They’re in a real push to report profitability.

Price and profitability aside, my main argument for EAP being included for free is that Tesla's brand is built on their electric powertrain and autopilot. These are the two main features that get talked about a Tesla. Elon even got emotional during the Joe Rogan Experience while talking about a bike that got ran over by a Tesla who's driver was asleep and how EAP would have saved the biker. This shows that Elon is all about making cars that are fun AND safe.

I just spent a good 2 weeks with Autopilot and really love it but struggle with paying $5-6k for the convenience feature. I definitely feel less fatigued after a long, traffic-filled drive so there is a tangible benefit besides safety but I imagine it will be a hard sell for those with a $35-50k budget. I showed off my car to many friends and they got to feel the fun performance but Autopilot is the crazy, futuristic demo that blows people's minds and makes them want a Tesla.

I have EAP and while i dont think its worth 5k to me, i consider my purchase to be supporting the development of a good technology.

I think EAP+FSD should be included with all cars because with the rate of distracted driving out there, it will save lives. However, I understand that Tesla still needs a business model in order to grow.

BMW, MB, Audi, Acura all have autonomous cruise control as an add on or a package. Lexus has it base but navigation is extra $1700. Model 3 includes it as part of a package.

I just purchased a Honda Accord Hybrid touring as a commuter car and a way to preserve my Tesla. (Have a Model S with AP1, love it but I drive 25k miles a year, was killing her..)

The Honda TACC is pretty solid and standard across the line. In my humble opinion, Tesla should drop the price of AP2 back to what it was when AP1 was introduced, around 2.5k.

That said, looks like they are doing well with the current pricing structure..may as well keep the profits - they need them!

They still offer the best product.

As others have said, the fact that so many people (myself included) are plopping down $5k for EAP, they are pricing it right. I fully expect, down the line, we will see promotions where owners will have the option to enable EAP for around $3k. It's a quick way for them to bump up high-margin revenue to meet numbers in a quarter. Maybe they'll even de-couple TACC from EAP, and offer it as a stand-alone upgrade for $1500.