Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic display of passing cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JC61221

Jun 30, 2021
Ohio
I recently took delivery of my M3 and have noticed while driving on the highway, that usually while cars pass, I see the car coming from behind in the lane next to me, it remains shown while next to me, but then briefly disappears just as it passes before displaying again ahead of me. I'm staying in the same lane and the car passing is staying in the same lane next to me.

I'm not sure if this standard behavior/issue, a camera and/or calibration error, or something else.

Can anyone provide some insight if they have similar behavior with the traffic display while driving?

Thanks!

This is normal behavior. The display of cars on the visualization of the screen never perfectly matches reality nor is it completely "smooth" as cars transition past you. Hopefully this improves with newer software versions.

Just be happy you didn't experience the very long period of time where car visualizations on the screen "danced" constantly. At a stop light, the visualizations of other cars would go sideways, vibrate wildly, and appear to intersect the visualization of your own car. Not a reassuring look.

This is normal behavior. The display of cars on the visualization of the screen never perfectly matches reality nor is it completely "smooth" as cars transition past you. Hopefully this improves with newer software versions.

Just be happy you didn't experience the very long period of time where car visualizations on the screen "danced" constantly. At a stop light, the visualizations of other cars would go sideways, vibrate wildly, and appear to intersect the visualization of your own car. Not a reassuring look.
Thanks for the information/confirmation and also the background of how it started a few years ago. I couldn't find this info anywhere an appreciate the reply!

The display of cars on the visualization of the screen never perfectly matches reality
What's odd is the visualization never shows parked cars to my right, but it will display a car on the right that's moving.
However, it shows every trash barrel (but not Amazon boxes piled at curb)
Any logic as to why a trash barrel is deemed a greater threat than a parked car (albeit, both are relatively low risks)?
A parked car can drive away from the curb, hide a child chasing a ball that rolls into the street, or the driver's side doors can open
I understand that it's not going to show everything, but trash barrels??