TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Traffic Flow Data different in Satellite view vs. Map view

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by outdoors, Apr 12, 2018.

1. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

This morning I was driving and Waze on my phone showed heavy traffic. Model 3 traffic data showed nothing on standard map view. I swapped over to satellite and saw the back up. See screen shots attached. I noticed this before once, just wasn't really paying attention to the difference.
    20180412_091805.jpg 20180412_091759.jpg

• Informative x 9
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I noticed that my Model 3 doesn't continuously update traffic data as I drive. I often have to switch traffic data off and back on to force it to update.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

I am getting this too both on 2018.12 and whatever I was on before (9 or 10 I think). If I turn traffic off and back on it updates. But it won't even update when the car is off. For example, when I get in my car after work it will be displaying the traffic conditions from that morning.

• Informative x 2
  4. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

On my S, I zoom in on the area of concern and it updates the traffic. Will try it on the 3

5. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Yikes. Is this "normal" Tesla maps behavior? Or is it a bug?

If you don't do anything to force the traffic to update, will it still update eventually, on some kind of schedule? (Like, every 15 minutes, or 30 minutes, or whatnot?) Or will it just not update at all?

And does it change estimated travel times/ETA's and choose optimal routes based on traffic info, or no?

6. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

On my S traffic updated as it loaded the new section of the map on the display. For some reason it isn't doing that with the 3.

• Informative x 1
  7. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

20180417_142741.jpg
    20180417_142733.jpg
    I have tried reset. Toggle traffic. No avail. I did notice on the next update the traffic icon has changed. Back to Waze and Google maps.

• Informative x 1
  8. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Has anyone contacted Tesla about this?

• Like x 1
  9. CricTic

CricTic Member

There is a navigation feedback email address in the latest release notes - you should send that in.

10. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

[email protected]

11. dwolvin

dwolvin Member

FWIW; I stay in satellite view all the time, and (in San Diego area) it updates as you would expect, it even took me in to work using a different route today to avoid a backup. Maybe it's the network coverage when it isn't updating?

• Informative x 2
  12. John Beans

John Beans Member

Thanks for the heads up. I keep my Model 3 in satview all the time. It *seems* to reflect current traffic (though some traffic patterns here in the Bay Area are pretty constant), but now I'll pay more attention, maybe compare it to my phone once in a while.

13. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

I did email nav feedback. Multiple days. Multiple areas. I don't really care for sat unless I am stopped looking for something in an area. All pics show 3 or 4 bars on connectivity.

When things work people trust them. When they stop working or are showed to be not reliable one tends to gravitate towards things that are reliable.

Currently I would be all up for taping my phone to my screen and letting the screen go black.

14. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

All fixed with the 2018.14.13 9e3b7ff update. Or could be for some other reason as well. Notice the change in traffic icon. 20180420_090317.jpg 20180420_090308.jpg

• Informative x 1
  15. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Good to hear! I got the update last night but am off work today so I won't get to test it for real until Monday.