Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Flow Data different in Satellite view vs. Map view

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
This morning I was driving and Waze on my phone showed heavy traffic. Model 3 traffic data showed nothing on standard map view. I swapped over to satellite and saw the back up. See screen shots attached. I noticed this before once, just wasn't really paying attention to the difference.
20180412_091805.jpg
20180412_091759.jpg

Boourns

Mar 9, 2016
Dallas
I am getting this too both on 2018.12 and whatever I was on before (9 or 10 I think). If I turn traffic off and back on it updates. But it won't even update when the car is off. For example, when I get in my car after work it will be displaying the traffic conditions from that morning.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and DR61

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
I noticed that my Model 3 doesn't continuously update traffic data as I drive.

Yikes. Is this "normal" Tesla maps behavior? Or is it a bug?

If you don't do anything to force the traffic to update, will it still update eventually, on some kind of schedule? (Like, every 15 minutes, or 30 minutes, or whatnot?) Or will it just not update at all?

And does it change estimated travel times/ETA's and choose optimal routes based on traffic info, or no?

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
20180417_142741.jpg

20180417_142733.jpg

I have tried reset. Toggle traffic. No avail. I did notice on the next update the traffic icon has changed. Back to Waze and Google maps.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen

dwolvin

Mar 31, 2018
Santee, CA
FWIW; I stay in satellite view all the time, and (in San Diego area) it updates as you would expect, it even took me in to work using a different route today to avoid a backup. Maybe it's the network coverage when it isn't updating?

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and jsmay311

John Beans

May 15, 2016
California
Thanks for the heads up. I keep my Model 3 in satview all the time. It *seems* to reflect current traffic (though some traffic patterns here in the Bay Area are pretty constant), but now I'll pay more attention, maybe compare it to my phone once in a while.

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
I did email nav feedback. Multiple days. Multiple areas. I don't really care for sat unless I am stopped looking for something in an area. All pics show 3 or 4 bars on connectivity.

When things work people trust them. When they stop working or are showed to be not reliable one tends to gravitate towards things that are reliable.

Currently I would be all up for taping my phone to my screen and letting the screen go black.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC