Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (BETA) for those that have HW3 and FSD

Are you using Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (BETA)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

C141medic

Apr 9, 2016
New Jersey
I have FSD and received my HW3 computer a few months ago. I was very excited to receive my upgrade because I was looking forward to FSD features for use in cities. So, the traffic light and stop sign control was released last month and I selected to turn on this feature. After some testing in various traffic situations I disabled this feature and will not enable it until it’s feature complete. My main reason for disabling was that it was too unpredictable for me, especially after it didn’t recognize a traffic light and would’ve went through it if I hadn’t braked in time. I posted about these in other threads. I’m curious what others’ have experienced with this feature and look forward to re-enabling it when it’s “feature complete.”

Been on a couple of around town drives (not driving much, of course) and it recognized every stop sign and light. Use the stalk on my X to confirm the lights. No issues besides the speed limits. I assume they will increase them at some point.

Mine sees lights 600 feet away. Not sure how you can go through a light from there.... :)

I wish the car would begin to slow sooner when coming to a stop sign.
It seems to wait too long to slow down and then jams on the brakes at the end.
Have you tried adjusting your car length distance (right scroll wheel, left/right) to a higher level, like 5, 6 or 7? I noticed when using AP when I had this setting set to 2 it would wait to the last minute then slam the bakes to make a stop when following another car. However, when I set it to 7 is started the stopping process a lot sooner and made it more bearable. Just wondering if this might have an effect on the new "stop at stop light/sign" feature? I'm still waiting for my HW 3.0 upgrade, so can't try this out myself just yet.

Curious, in a couple months of use I've never seen it miss noticing a set of traffic lights. I have had it momentarily register a false positive on "street lights ahead" caution sign.

P.S. The thing I like the least about it is limited to posted rather than posted +5mph.
Worst is when posted is wrong, lower than actual.. :(

I use it with TACC in town. I stopped using auto-steer in town so that I'm not limited to the exact speed limit.

I do this as well. I can set the speed where I am comfortable, and the all-to-frequent incorrect speed limits don’t affect me at all. Steering keeps me more engaged, and I do a better job than auto steer on city streets. I usually can make left or right turns without disengaging cruise.

Like @DanH, I don’t use it with the wife in the car. Deceleration is late and not smooth, which is upsetting to passengers, and acceleration can be unnaturally slow at times.

Despite its limitations, it is still fun to use. I like experiencing what the current state of the art is.

GSP

I have FSD and received my HW3 computer a few months ago. I was very excited to receive my upgrade because I was looking forward to FSD features for use in cities. So, the traffic light and stop sign control was released last month and I selected to turn on this feature. After some testing in various traffic situations I disabled this feature and will not enable it until it’s feature complete. My main reason for disabling was that it was too unpredictable for me, especially after it didn’t recognize a traffic light and would’ve went through it if I hadn’t braked in time. I posted about these in other threads. I’m curious what others’ have experienced with this feature and look forward to re-enabling it when it’s “feature complete.”

My 2020 M3 LR has never missed a light or Stop sign, and I always get the 600 ft message.

Flashing yellow lights really freak out the system, though. Like sometimes I get 3-4 warnings about it going to stop, and I have to override them all.

Like some above, I wish it did not brake so hard, late. I will modify my follow distance from 2 lengths to 4 and see how it performs.

I get that this is a new feature in Beta, but I still do not understand the whole "forcing you to the speed limit" feature. They never applied this before, as Tesla specifically has functionality to allow you to default to specified MPH over the speed limit. Also, it is not like the car can't handle stop lights on streets with 50 MPH speed limits.

Obviously, I can just not use FSD on surface streets.

I get that this is a new feature in Beta, but I still do not understand the whole "forcing you to the speed limit" feature.
Stop light green-amber-red timing is [supposed to be] set by local authorities assuming traveling at the speed limit. That's probably why they made this change.

I suspect you're right about "car is physically capable of handling the braking required for +5MPH" but that's probably the root rationale. Maybe they'll raise it back up once they have more confidence in the system.

Stop light green-amber-red timing is [supposed to be] set by local authorities assuming traveling at the speed limit. That's probably why they made this change.

I suspect you're right about "car is physically capable of handling the braking required for +5MPH" but that's probably the root rationale. Maybe they'll raise it back up once they have more confidence in the system.
Oddly enough, like everything else about the US YMMV. I’ve seen multiple instances where lights are timed for as much as 8mph over PSL and on the inverse 4mph under.

Reactions: travis010
Our 3 slows very gradually at stop signs and lights. Where I get in trouble is trying to goose it along with the accelerator to reach the stop line a little faster. TACC throws on the brakes so it never works but causes all sorts of drama. One possibility for those experiencing quick stops is that they're riding the accelerator. Or just differences in cars for now. Luckily my wife is a good passenger and puts up with the car's and my driving. My distance setting is probably 4 or 5.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I’ve been using it selectively around the neighborhood (Stop signs) and local roads (Traffic lights). As others have said, I tend to use it with TACC mostly because going the exact speed limit frustrates everyone else on the road. An understandable limitation for now on Autopilot given that it’s brand new.

I’ve found it to be quite good at recognizing signs and lights well ahead of time and stopping appropriately. Well done for a first-run beta.

There is one spot where there are two traffic lights in rapid succession that is problematic. Because the second light is so close to the first, by the time the confirmation comes up for it, I am 50 feet from the light and the car slows dramatically thinking I haven’t confirmed and I’m about to run through the intersection. So, I turn it off if someone is behind me so that they don’t get brake checked for no reason. Also understandable given the confirmation requirement and the edge case, and a great example of why you should really be on top of it when you’re rolling beta functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I would like it to steer around potholes in the street, while remaining in the same lane. If it can recognize lines painted on a road, then it should be able to recognize potholes.

When the speed limit keeps changing on the street, from 30 to 45 and back to 30, it doesn't seem to adjust speeds, even when there's no one else on the road. Do I need a different setting?

Reactions: navguy12
I've also witnessed my car run through a stop sign. It saw the sign and warned that it would be stopping in 600ft, did not actually slow at all as we approached the intersection, I let it continue with my foot over the brake ready to slam on to see what would happen and as the car was about to cross through it had the audacity to scream at me that I was about to run a stop sign o_O. I have no real trust in this feature at present.

The behaviour is not consistently repeatable but it has happened a few times at the same intersection. This was back on 2020.16.2.1. Haven't used the feature much on 2020.20.x to see if it happens again.

I also experience a problem of it detecting stop signs that are actually on a side road because it can see a tiny sliver as you approach and drive by.

When the feature works, braking is uncomfortably late. I don't know why they keep rolling out FSD features with late braking. No safety conscious driver behaves that way. You would think safety first..

I have found that it will brake hard, but not to the point of actually stopping so far, because it sees a stop sign on a side street that intersects at a slant angle. This is pretty dramatic for me, not to mention any driver behind me. So I have disabled it until it learns to play nicely with others.