Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (BETA) for those that have HW3 and FSD

Are you using Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (BETA)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, this. If we could at least get the +5 back.
I had initially had the speed limit limitation but several updates ago it got rid of that requirement and now allows me to set the speed limit much higher than the speed limit. On residential it allows 5 mph over speed limit. On the expressway that travel everyday and have to go through 12 traffic lights to get to the highway it allows the max of 90 mph (I’m typically 65 or 70) and correctly stops at every light. It’s a huge improvement for my drives.

I’m on 2020.20.12

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I have FSD and received my HW3 computer a few months ago. I was very excited to receive my upgrade because I was looking forward to FSD features for use in cities. So, the traffic light and stop sign control was released last month and I selected to turn on this feature. After some testing in various traffic situations I disabled this feature and will not enable it until it’s feature complete. My main reason for disabling was that it was too unpredictable for me, especially after it didn’t recognize a traffic light and would’ve went through it if I hadn’t braked in time. I posted about these in other threads. I’m curious what others’ have experienced with this feature and look forward to re-enabling it when it’s “feature complete.”
Well it’s listed as a beta and we are the testers. Definitely turn it off if you don’t feel comfortable. My biggest gripe with it so far is at a stop and you are turning. When you pull cruise control to resume acceleration response is painfully slow making the turn.

Reactions: Kentrock1
I posted my complaints in the thread on software version 2020.20.12

It was working fairly well on 2020.16 but the new 2020.20 I just loaded it is completely unsafe. Wants to stop at all green lights and has now been running straight through red lights. Stop sign detection fails 70% of the time. Before update it worked everytime I used it.

While I don't find it useful in city streets, I do enjoy my AP and NOA FSD on the long highway driving. That still works great.

I've been using this feature since it was release. Found a variety off issues and released these videos about using it. Initially it was allowing me to proceed through red lights (over time it stopped doing this); it picks up crosswalks with blinking lights very late and can suddenly stop; pressing the gear stalk before coming to complete stop at a stop sign will continue without stopping; it can be a pain on roads with lots of stop signs or lights, can't wait for it to not require an acknowledgement at green lights; I was never stopping at crosswalks without a light or stop sign, but I was able to capture it stopping at one when there were people crossing.

2020.12.6 Tesla Software Update - Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta) -
Problem with Red Light Traffic Controls in Tesla's 2020.12.11.1 -
Be Careful with Crosswalk Traffic Controls under Tesla 2020.12.11.1 -
You Can Proceed Through Stop Signs & Traffic Lights Before The Tesla Stops -
Driving a Tesla with Auto Stop on a Road with a lot of Traffic Lights -
Tesla Stops for Pedestrians Crossing the Street - YouTube

• Informative
Reactions: Kentrock1 and LM-5
Have you all seen the YouTube video where the host presents 15-20 situations where FSD could not work, all in his neighborhood? That was enough for me not to order FSD with a 2020 Model S. Your descriptions of problems suggests that the version Tesla's demonstration car uses must have a future version, that actually works. Perhaps some of the FSD cars have a downloaded update that is currently out of date.

There is an interesting internet claim that a buyer of a Model S bought a car that was reportedly fitted with FSD. When he got the car it did not. Apparently it was acquired by a used car dealer from a car auction. I have been to enough wholesale car auctions to have witnessed the auctioneer say things that he thinks to be true, but in reality, are not. Since there is considerable talk about Full Self-Driving on Teslas perhaps the auctioneer in his ignorance blurted out that it had full self-driving, not aware it is a costly option that isn't on all Tesla. Auctioneer barkers often do that to drive up bidding. On the topic of million-mile batteries: The articles are found at:

Tesla accused of abruptly pulling self-driving from a used Model S

and from the business entity Bloomberg a similar article:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

The article upper link stated: Upon contacting Tesla, the buyer was told that the car had been "incorrectly configured for Autopilot versions that they did not pay for." The same went for FSD, because as far as Tesla was concerned, the driver hadn't paid for those features." Was told it was canceled because it goes only for the driver that paid for it, not later owners. I was told that it was totally transferrable.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I asked about the risk of FSD being canceled on my S-LR+ 2020 and was told it was transferrable. On the other hand Tesla has been changing the Terms and Conditions to benefit the company, so who wants to hire a lawyer to fight it?

Have a 2015 P85D which I bought new as an early-adopter for the then-new AWD with unlimited supercharging. Living in snow country dictated that, as most 2-wheel driver cars have to park in my driveway when they cannot get up our hill. Since I intended to buy a 2020, I offered my 2015 P85D to my son. It seems he will not get the unlimited supercharging unless I leave the registration in my name and put him on my auto insurance policy. I don't know if that will fly wince he lives un another state 400 miles away.

Just yesterday I read there was an announcement that ( maybe in China only?) Tesla got approval to put in the new 1.2 million mile, 16-year battery technology. Maybe I should cancel my 2020 S and wait? Any thoughts on this?

Yes, this. If we could at least get the +5 back.

One of the members in this thread just complained that their car doesn't start slowing down soon enough at red lights and stop signs and then jams on the brakes at the last minute ... and we want Tesla to permit us to go even faster on FSD? The Tesla computer geeks are trying to program the car to respond appropriately to the myriad of circumstances drivers face on our highways. Safety dictates the car has a longer time to evaluate the plethora of circumstances before it reacts.

And besides, expecting Tesla to program their cars where the owners can let the car FSD at illegal speeds is putting too much burden on the legal department at Tesla. Their first death while a Tesla was on autosteer was an instance where the driver was watching a Harry Potter movie, remember? Given the tendency of some Tesla drivers to delegate their lives fully to the writers of the FSD program, we have to move into fully automatic driving carefully and cautiously.

Just yesterday I read there was an announcement that ( maybe in China only?) Tesla got approval to put in the new 1.2 million mile, 16-year battery technology. Maybe I should cancel my 2020 S and wait? Any thoughts on this?
This question has been asked a million times on computer forums. The perennial answer is "If you wait for the technology advancement to stop, you'll never get your new computer." This situation with the million-mile batteries, however, overrides that long-standing consensus. I'm in the same situation you are, and I'm waiting for the new batteries for now. We'll know a little more about the wisdom of waiting after Tesla's often-postponed Battery Day.

One of the members in this thread just complained that their car doesn't start slowing down soon enough at red lights and stop signs and then jams on the brakes at the last minute ... and we want Tesla to permit us to go even faster on FSD? The Tesla computer geeks are trying to program the car to respond appropriately to the myriad of circumstances drivers face on our highways. Safety dictates the car has a longer time to evaluate the plethora of circumstances before it reacts.

And besides, expecting Tesla to program their cars where the owners can let the car FSD at illegal speeds is putting too much burden on the legal department at Tesla. Their first death while a Tesla was on autosteer was an instance where the driver was watching a Harry Potter movie, remember? Given the tendency of some Tesla drivers to delegate their lives fully to the writers of the FSD program, we have to move into fully automatic driving carefully and cautiously.
By that logic, the cars should ONLY accelerate up to the speed limit as anything else is illegal.

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover
I wish the car would begin to slow sooner when coming to a stop sign.
It seems to wait too long to slow down and then jams on the brakes at the end.

When I am approaching a stop sign or red light at a rate of speed that doesn't feel comfortable, I will use the AP stalk to tap down the speed 5 to 10 mph rather than hold my breath to see if Flo (my nickname for my Model S) is going to stop. I feel safer doing this and it is not as surprising for the inevitable tailgater behind me.

I like to think of Flo as my driving assistant, not my driver. We have a partnership that works well ... I don't rely too much on her skill and she doesn't rely too much on mine. :)

Been on a couple of around town drives (not driving much, of course) and it recognized every stop sign and light. Use the stalk on my X to confirm the lights. No issues besides the speed limits. I assume they will increase them at some point.

Mine sees lights 600 feet away. Not sure how you can go through a light from there.... :)
What happens when you are 200' à away and the light starts to turn?

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr. Michael
I would like it to steer around potholes in the street, while remaining in the same lane. If it can recognize lines painted on a road, then it should be able to recognize potholes.

When the speed limit keeps changing on the street, from 30 to 45 and back to 30, it doesn't seem to adjust speeds, even when there's no one else on the road. Do I need a different setting?

I’d like it if it raised the wheel as it goes over the pothole like several higher end cars does. Doesn’t require steering around and make sure you don’t blow out tires on ones you don’t seem. Amazing system that needs to get broader adaption.

I've been using this feature since it was release. Found a variety off issues and released these videos about using it. Initially it was allowing me to proceed through red lights (over time it stopped doing this); it picks up crosswalks with blinking lights very late and can suddenly stop; pressing the gear stalk before coming to complete stop at a stop sign will continue without stopping; it can be a pain on roads with lots of stop signs or lights, can't wait for it to not require an acknowledgement at green lights; I was never stopping at crosswalks without a light or stop sign, but I was able to capture it stopping at one when there were people crossing.

2020.12.6 Tesla Software Update - Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta) -
Problem with Red Light Traffic Controls in Tesla's 2020.12.11.1 -
Be Careful with Crosswalk Traffic Controls under Tesla 2020.12.11.1 -
You Can Proceed Through Stop Signs & Traffic Lights Before The Tesla Stops -
Driving a Tesla with Auto Stop on a Road with a lot of Traffic Lights -
Tesla Stops for Pedestrians Crossing the Street - YouTube

I’ve been watching these as you’ve posted them. Thanks for your thorough testing. Be safe out there, Nick!

Folks: It is important to post what version of software you are on when listing a complaint. There are big differences in performance of features as Tesla makes updates to correct bugs.

I can tell you that 2020.12 had some serious issues with speeding to a stop sign or red light and then slamming on the brakes. But 2020.16 seemed to fix that on my car and worked fairly well. However, My latest 2020.20.12 broke things that worked before as stated in my prior post.

The speed change for ACC still works fine light up or down on the stalk changes 1 mph and a hard up or down past a click changes by 5 mph. I like that and use it often.

As the Tesla service rep once told me- it is "beta" and not intended to be reliable, only to be used for test purposes. My big issue with Tesla beta program is there are too many versions out on the road. Tesla really should update everyone at the same time for the feature to be used. But I recognize that may have other unintended consequences too. The real problem is Tesla has poor testing in alpha stage as their zeal to release new features for bragging rights before ready. The Sentry player bugs, not so critical but running red lights is a serious safety problem.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
What happens when you are 200' à away and the light starts to turn?
Nothing, why? It always stops for a light. It’s not supposed to decide what to do (yet), it’s supposed to stop. You decide if you want to tell it to go or let it stop stop. I think I had the light change a time or two and if I had already told it to go, then I had to use the brakes (of course). This is the first version of what will be much smarter in due course.

I don’t get all the complaints. If you’ve never tested software (real software) then perhaps this isn’t for you. Turn it off and wait for the next version.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
It obviously uses cameras to see but it must be using maps as well in determination of where lights and stop signs are located. I discovered this when approaching a stop sign around a hard bend in the road. Before rounding the bend I cannot see, so the car also cannot see the stop sign yet the "stop sign in 600 ft" warning is displayed. I seldom use it when my wife is in the car for all the previously noted reason but I like experiencing the new technology and at the same time contributing to its development.