Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic light RED light recognition HW2.0 works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cuttin

Oct 25, 2018
Nj
So....

Interestingly as the release notes didn't say anything about this.

I'm on 2020.12.11.5.

Randomly cruising on AP in left lane of 3 lane road doing 60 and light ahead turns yellow. About 300-500 feet or so.
I was going to start to hit the brakes. But then BAM I get a weird new warning and beeps. And I see a traffic light with red light on to the left of my car illustration. I thin it said "traffic light red".
Not sure if it was going to stop or what.

Totally blew.my mind as I have 2017 HW 2.0 car and from what I read it's NOT released to us.

I tried to reproduce it, and did it once more. The other light it missed.

From my understanding it has to be without anyone in front of you so I didn't have time to keep trying but am I crazy or what.

Anyone else had this on, and I stress, HW 2.0 specifically???

If you have HW 2.0 and have this version of software. PLEASE try it and comment.

I had this warning as the light just turned to red as I entered the intersection, HW2/MCU1. Its an alert/safety warning thats been present for 6 months or so. Looking forward to getting MCU2/FSD hardware when it becomes available for HW2 cars like mine to update. Want to see my FSD $$$ doing something more....

I had this warning as the light just turned to red as I entered the intersection, HW2/MCU1. Its an alert/safety warning thats been present for 6 months or so. Looking forward to getting MCU2/FSD hardware when it becomes available for HW2 cars like mine to update. Want to see my FSD $$$ doing something more....

6 months seems like alot.

I drive this road daily and usually on AP. I'm SURE I would have noticed.

But how come it's not in the release notes?

Yes. Have had the same experience. Took a few tries to reproduce.

When is the first time you've noticed? What version are you on?

I want to say I've seen a stop sign a few months ago but I don't usually do AP on stop sign roads, but maybe I wasn't on it. I have definitely approached stop signs without AP and nothing.

yeah, I noticed same thing recently. I wasn't going to tempt fate by trying it on purpose. It happened as I was going through a traffic light even while it was still yellow and not yet red. This is new from a recent firmware update probably around the time of 12.11

Yeah. I've been trying to get it to do it more and it does.

Definitely pretty late warning though.

Just Enough time to get your attention and if you react right away and hit brakes pretty hard youll stop before intersection. Not slamming brakes but hard hit.

I'm trying to see if there are times it will miss it. Would be nice to know if it warns 100percent or not.

Even with HW3, the warning about the upcoming traffic light/sign is too late, because the vehicle immediately starts to slow down right after displaying the warning.

If the vehicle is going to slow down at 500 ft out, would be helpful to have the warning displayed 1000 ft out, providing more time to tell the software to ignore the stop and keep moving.

• Informative
Reactions: Cuttin
Hi All,

I liked it on my previous software when it started braking further out...
It would not be good in Boston, but out here it was great...

Fast forward to 2020.16.2.1 and you get your wish - it breaks much closer to the stop light or stop sign.
It's creepy now because I am not quite sure it "sees" the signal - then it brakes fairly hard.
Not quite a panic stop but not too smooth either.
A blend of an earlier warning and the late stop would be much better.

Shawn