Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic overlay missing on map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how long ago this happened, but I just noticed that I no longer have the red lines on my maps when there is heavy traffic. I have a 2018 LR Model 3. I have the v10 update.

Another thing I’ll mention (not sure if it’s related to this issue) is that when I took delivery of the car in September 2018 it had EAP which I did not order or pay for. One year later guess someone discovered this and turned off this feature so now I have the standard AP features. Would traffic overlay not be included in standard AP?

The traffic overlay is a feature of Premium Data. All cars get that free for a year, and it sounds like your year expired last month.

FWIW, cars ordered by the end of June 2018 get Premium Data for life.

For cars such as yours, Premium Data is supposed to be available after the first year on a subscription basis, allegedly about $100/year. I haven't heard that they've actually rolled this out yet.

Reactions: groovidad
The traffic overlay is a feature of Premium Data. All cars get that free for a year, and it sounds like your year expired last month.

For cars such as yours, Premium Data is supposed to be available after the first year on a subscription basis, allegedly about $100/year. I haven't heard that they've actually rolled this out yet.
There are no Premium data plans expiration in effect. In all likelihood Tesla has decided to not implement this or at least on a loooong delay. No way Tesla will cut off Premium data without offering a way to pay for it.

Thanks. I’m wondering what else am I missing without Premium Data?

Thanks. I’m wondering what else am I missing without Premium Data?
Well, see Julien's post above, refuting my statement. So we may be off in fiction land, though I thought I'd seen others with reports similar to yours.

Anyway, the other thing you'd see right off is the loss of satellite view on the maps. If you still have it (or can turn it on), then clearly my Premium Data thing is hosed.

Well, see Julien's post above, refuting my statement. So we may be off in fiction land, though I thought I'd seen others with reports similar to yours.

Anyway, the other thing you'd see right off is the loss of satellite view on the maps. If you still have it (or can turn it on), then clearly my Premium Data thing is hosed.
Yes I still have satellite view. Also still have streaming music. ???

No all cars DO NOT get it free for a year. Base model does not :(

There are no Premium data plans expiration in effect. In all likelihood Tesla has decided to not implement this or at least on a loooong delay. No way Tesla will cut off Premium data without offering a way to pay for it.
Well, it's been a year since I ordered and that is what Tesla said would be the end of "Premium" for those that purchased after July 18. Mine is gone and so are a lot of others. Tesla has dropped the ball on the implementation of the subscription service.

Well, it's been a year since I ordered and that is what Tesla said would be the end of "Premium" for those that purchased after July 18. Mine is gone and so are a lot of others. Tesla has dropped the ball on the implementation of the subscription service.

It's either what you say (data issue - which would mean you wouldn't be getting streaming music either), or one of the two following items:

1) You don't have the traffic data option turned on on the map (the traffic light symbol as mentioned above). This was the OP's issue.

2) There is an option in one of the menus to use live traffic data (this gets deselected if you turn off data sharing). You need to have this on of course. You'll know when this is off, because it'll say "routing without traffic data" when you try to navigate anywhere, above the dialog box in the Nav.