Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Visualization - Other Vehicles In Color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, while coming out of a rotary and onto a 4 lane road, I noticed something I hadn't seen before. There was a vehicle on my right, and slightly
behind me. I had just passed him. Suddenly, on my touch screen, that vehicle's image briefly turned from gray to red. (And, oddly, that car's actual color was gray.) I had never seen any vehicle, other than my own M3, show up in color before. Granted, I only have 4,000 miles on my car, but I travel this route multiple times a week and this was the first time I experienced this. Was this some sort of proximity warning or what?

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
At some point in time Tesla claimed that they were working on an update that would make other Tesla appears in color and in the color they are actually painted. Which made me wonder if they were going to change the red color as warning or if you'd just get the impression that you would about to have a collision with all red Teslas.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Yesterday, while coming out of a rotary and onto a 4 lane road, I noticed something I hadn't seen before. There was a vehicle on my right, and slightly
behind me. I had just passed him. Suddenly, on my touch screen, that vehicle's image briefly turned from gray to red. (And, oddly, that car's actual color was gray.) I had never seen any vehicle, other than my own M3, show up in color before. Granted, I only have 4,000 miles on my car, but I travel this route multiple times a week and this was the first time I experienced this. Was this some sort of proximity warning or what?
Part of the currently-useless blind spot monitoring system.

Reactions: RTPEV
At some point in time Tesla claimed that they were working on an update that would make other Tesla appears in color and in the color they are actually painted. Which made me wonder if they were going to change the red color as warning or if you'd just get the impression that you would about to have a collision with all red Teslas.

@greentheonly on twitter proved that this is a thing they can do and probably will implement in the future (was looking for the tweet to link but can't find it). It is a good question how they will differentiate red colored Tesla's from cars you are about to lane change into though. Maybe making red cars a dull solid red while cars being detected in your blind spot while signaling will be bright red and flashing (or something similar). Probably still too confusing visually.

I agree with other posters that the blind spot detection implementation on the 3 & Y is already nearly useless. Not sure how to improve it as it's a limitation of not having indicators on your side view mirrors (where you are actually looking when changing lanes) instead of on the center screen (where you are not looking when changing lanes).

EDIT: Found a recent post about Tesla color/model detection for reference:

Last edited: