Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tragic death as S75D hits wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picture from newspaper Aftenposten.
3f1487fa-dd94-46d2-a194-8d2c558a187c.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Seems like just about every death in a Model S has to do with an impact great enough to compromise the A pillar because the rest of the car is basically a tank. Wonder of there's anything that could be done about this but I guess certain accidents are just about impossible to survive.

Probably cinder blocks went through the windshield. Or something mounted on the wall, like a fire extinguisher or something.

But for some reason, this is being investigated as a possible suicide, so there may be something we don't know. (Could have died from prescription medicine overdose, for all we know.)

Whether the cause ends up being medical, mental, or mechanical, that’s just tragic.

And it’s a heck of a challenge. How to make the glass strong enough to withstand whatever it is that may have gone through it. Although without seeing the front of the car, for all we know it was a seizure or other acute event and that was that (without glass penetration).

Am not saying it would have helped in this case, but I do look forward to the day when my Apple Watch will dial 911 if it detects some kind of incapacitating event, and for bonus points, maybe simultaneously interfaces with the car to... for example reduce the likelihood of rapid acceleration toward a wall.

So much to do and so little time.

Whether the cause ends up being medical, mental, or mechanical, that’s just tragic.

And it’s a heck of a challenge. How to make the glass strong enough to withstand whatever it is that may have gone through it. Although without seeing the front of the car, for all we know it was a seizure or other acute event and that was that (without glass penetration).

Am not saying it would have helped in this case, but I do look forward to the day when my Apple Watch will dial 911 if it detects some kind of incapacitating event, and for bonus points, maybe simultaneously interfaces with the car to... for example reduce the likelihood of rapid acceleration toward a wall.

So much to do and so little time.

The Tesla Semi work it's Thermo nuclear war resistant windshield springs to mind. High def 3D maps could and will need to be detailed enough to potentially hinder the car from doing anything that would kill the passenger in parking garage due to a mishap or medical event that causes the driver to accelerate into a wall like that. High def maps will be needed for parking structures if you car is going to be able to autonomously return home so it's not as far fetched as it may seem. I have seen videos of such mapping using vision only and it's amazing, so it would be possible.

With all the Tech Tesla has built in like cameras, ultrasonic sensors, radar and the like, why is this still possible? If the car sees through cameras that something solid is approaching, the ultrasonic sensor and the radar agree on that judgement, why is there no emergency braking?

With all the Tech Tesla has built in like cameras, ultrasonic sensors, radar and the like, why is this still possible? If the car sees through cameras that something solid is approaching, the ultrasonic sensor and the radar agree on that judgement, why is there no emergency braking?
It's simple, the tech you speak of is still mostly vaporware at this point. Owners celebrate when things like automatic wipers get implemented a year and half after the feature was released. Tesla cars don't even have a reliable blind spot warning today (something available in much cheaper cars). Even safety features that are supposedly enabled, always come with fine print that amounts to "it may or may not work, don't count on it and if you do we are not responsible". Elon dreams big, sells his dreams to the media (and sometimes literally to unsuspecting new buyers, like anyone who paid for FSD in 2016), but the devil is in the details and Elon has absolutely no clue how long things take to develop.

Model S is a great car, safe, well designed, pure joy to drive. But all the "high tech" features are pure hype. Speaking of safety, my wife recently walked away from a crash which in other cars she may not have survived. Model S was totaled because it took all the damage. Sufficed to say, a replacement Model S is already on order. That said, there are some situations, like driving head-on through a concrete wall that even the safest car will not protect you from injury or death.

Reactions: goto10 and avoigt
Would not happen with Subaru / Eyesight. Even Volvo claims to have a similar system of preventing acceleration into a solid obstacle.

Just our futuristic Teslas are missing basic things like dead spot warning, approaching car from behind warning when reversing from the parking spot and so on. The software development has stalled in Tesla few year ago.

(oh sorry, i forgot we got such difficult item like easy entry in the last year)

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
Would not happen with Subaru / Eyesight. Even Volvo claims to have a similar system of preventing acceleration into a solid obstacle.

Just our futuristic Teslas are missing basic things like dead spot warning, approaching car from behind warning when reversing from the parking spot and so on. The software development has stalled in Tesla few year ago.

(oh sorry, i forgot we got such difficult item like easy entry in the last year)
You forgot chill mode! Oh, and auto-unfolding mirrors when the car starts driving (I paid $600 for that one when I had to replaced the mirror after it unfolded unexpectantly on my wife in a tight spot it never unfolded before - backing out along a concrete wall). And of course, let's not forget Santa Mode - no other car has that! :p

Reactions: _jal_