Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tragic irony...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to suggest that, but he said he's client-based, so he's driving to wherever the clients are. Think Realtor or something like that where it's not really possible to "move closer to work" because your work is unpredictable and all over the place.

300 miles everyday...I think Id die. If that is the daily grind, good luck to you...thats a lot of time planted in the drivers seat unless youre part of some delivery services or something.

To the OP,

I spent 9 months with only 120V charging (apartment complex), and living down the road from a supercharger. Its really really inconvenient.

Now I live in a condo (where I have my own garage, and a HPWC albeit only at 40A) but this is perfect, as superchargers are popping up on every route I take.

Have you considered moving somewhere more central? For Example somewhere like San Clemente or near there, or even further north like Laguna or Newport Beach. Getting a condo with home charging (or the ability to install home charging) and being much more central would actually reduce your commute as well as allow you to drive a tesla :)

At 200-300 miles/day you'll be stopping for gasoline at a minimum every other day, more likely every day, anyway. NEMA 14-50 or better at home plus a 15 minutes lunch+supercharger stop per day is pretty doable, IMO, and no more of an inconvenience than the constant gasoline stops.

If I had that kind of brutal commute with a supercharger somewhere in between I would jump on the Model S in a heartbeat. A prius plugin is pretty pointless for your commute. It gets what, 8 miles to a charge? Regular prius would be cheaper.

Edit: A better solution, as others have mentioned, if you have the means to buy a Model S you likely have the means to move closer to your work. I'd suggest doing that first (and getting a place you can install a HPWC) if you're not up for the supercharger stop per day scenario.

My old job was only 5 miles from home and the plugin was perfect. When I got the new job the green California carpool sticker became valuable as gold.

Yeah i I think a new place to live will be primary on my list then the car should be a realistic option. And yes I do have the means to move closer to work, it's just about findng something as nice as where I am now, San Diego is hard to beat.

- - - Updated - - -

300 miles everyday...I think Id die. If that is the daily grind, good luck to you...thats a lot of time planted in the drivers seat unless youre part of some delivery services or something.

Yeah I know it's not something I can do forever but it tripled my yearly income and advanced my career to the point where I shouldn't ever really have a hard time finding employment.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP,

I spent 9 months with only 120V charging (apartment complex), and living down the road from a supercharger. Its really really inconvenient.

Now I live in a condo (where I have my own garage, and a HPWC albeit only at 40A) but this is perfect, as superchargers are popping up on every route I take.

Have you considered moving somewhere more central? For Example somewhere like San Clemente or near there, or even further north like Laguna or Newport Beach. Getting a condo with home charging (or the ability to install home charging) and being much more central would actually reduce your commute as well as allow you to drive a tesla :)

yeah it's certainly a consideration. I've been looking for a possible relocation to Huntington Beach or Belmont Shores, and I'm making a garage and the ability to install a 220 or HPWC a priority. It's just hard to leave San Diego

Gee, that is tragic! If you really can afford it I don't think you should let it put you off though. Especially in California. Remember you DON'T need a supercharger to charge. I'm not even sure I would recommend it all the time. Better to use 220v 14-50 outlet somewhere. That way you can charge gently. I'm in Nebraska and there are NO superchargers within range. But if you map out RV camp sites and develop rapport with the owners, you might be able to leverage your dream a little. And, or..plug your S into 120vac and you can get at least 24 miles in a day. Are you sure you can't install 220VAC in your rented garage if you pay for it? Then you're talking 20 some miles per hour. AND you might want to factor in an ICE car to have on the side. Get a cheap one, part it outside and drive the hell out of it and use the T when you can.

Just think about it. There are power outlets everywhere--you just need to map them out and be smart about it. Life's too short! Realize your dream!

Matt, I guess I am going to go against the grain of the other posters here. You said this position will go roughly a year and then you won't be traveling as much. While you could make it work with a Tesla, there is also nothing wrong with continuing what have been with your Prius (which, at least, isn't a gas guzzler) and waiting out the year. Also, I live in NC, so take this with a grain of salt, but I thought CA limited how many EVs can get the green sticker. As such, perhaps a consideration is to get a used Tesla. Then, between the savings on buying used and the mileage reimbursement, you could pay for the car without impacting the rest of you budget (to save for that eventual) house.

But either way, I do not think it will be a problem if you decide to wait it out. Just remember that you are spending basically a part-time job in your car and it really should be something you enjoy!

Sorry to hear that Matt, that's a painful situation to be in where your income is no longer the limiting factor from getting the S. You're doing the right and pragmatic thing. Stick with it and save up for now, it's only a matter of time until your situation changes again.

I think some folks here are missing the point that clients, who pay him very well, aren't going to be very receptive to "I need to make an hour-and-half detour to charge my car before I can get to you". Unfortunately Matt's use case is one of those outliers where the current day Model S is not the most practical choice.

Matt, I guess I am going to go against the grain of the other posters here. You said this position will go roughly a year and then you won't be traveling as much. While you could make it work with a Tesla, there is also nothing wrong with continuing what have been with your Prius (which, at least, isn't a gas guzzler) and waiting out the year. Also, I live in NC, so take this with a grain of salt, but I thought CA limited how many EVs can get the green sticker. As such, perhaps a consideration is to get a used Tesla. Then, between the savings on buying used and the mileage reimbursement, you could pay for the car without impacting the rest of you budget (to save for that eventual) house.

But either way, I do not think it will be a problem if you decide to wait it out. Just remember that you are spending basically a part-time job in your car and it really should be something you enjoy!

Yeah that's kinda my thinking after reading a lot of these replies. The house in the end is the smarter solution to be working towards at the moment as it's not a depreciating asset. And for now my prius gets the job done anyway. There's nothing wrong with waiting until I'm ready for the house (at which point I should have a significant down payment if I put my Tesla savings towards that), my dream will just have to be extended a bit further into the future. I'm patient though, I'm sure it'll be realized one day, and you make a good point about a used Tesla as an option.

Thanks everyone for the kind advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to hear that Matt, that's a painful situation to be in where your income is no longer the limiting factor from getting the S. You're doing the right and pragmatic thing. Stick with it and save up for now, it's only a matter of time until your situation changes again.

I think some folks here are missing the point that clients, who pay him very well, aren't going to be very receptive to "I need to make an hour-and-half detour to charge my car before I can get to you". Unfortunately Matt's use case is one of those outliers where the current day Model S is not the most practical choice.

And ultimately in the next few years it might get to the point where all my customers have charge spots, or supercharge locations are so ubiquitous that charging will not even be a concern. As it stands I already have noticed a recent uptick in charge spots at my customer sites, partially because some of these CEOs are driving a Tesla themselves.

The other factors to consider are
1) the clients you visit, do they have charging opportunity while you're in there doing your gig?
2) the traffic and driving style, are you putzing around in city traffic or barreling down the highway at high speed? If the former, you can stretch the miles. Go for an 85D for maximum mileage, plan to charge during lunch... you never know, might be livable.

Maybe try a lease and use the happiness guarantee...

Yeah that's kinda my thinking after reading a lot of these replies. The house in the end is the smarter solution to be working towards at the moment as it's not a depreciating asset. And for now my prius gets the job done anyway. There's nothing wrong with waiting until I'm ready for the house (at which point I should have a significant down payment if I put my Tesla savings towards that), my dream will just have to be extended a bit further into the future. I'm patient though, I'm sure it'll be realized one day, and you make a good point about a used Tesla as an option.

Thanks everyone for the kind advice!

- - - Updated - - -

And ultimately in the next few years it might get to the point where all my customers have charge spots, or supercharge locations are so ubiquitous that charging will not even be a concern. As it stands I already have noticed a recent uptick in charge spots at my customer sites, partially because some of these CEOs are driving a Tesla themselves.
Think waiting is probably the smart move unless with mileage reimbursement you could save a lot of money over the next year. Getting a home first with good charging more important. Good luck.

I picked up my S85 Sep 29th, and have about 14,000 miles on it already. My driving area has included Corning, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and Coronado. Most of my charging has been at SC, but the only SC locations I've had to wait for an open stall is Fremont and San Juan Capistrano. Timing is critical. If you also hit the wrong stall, you will NOT be charging at the high rate.
When scheduling my trips with the SC locations and timing taken into account, I find it well worth it. I enjoy the MS much more than my other vehicles (Dodge Ram 3500 and Ford C-MAX hybrid). The new software upgrades have unlocked additional enjoyment in driving, and the TACC has been a major improvement when driving.
Supercharging from ~30% to 80% is pretty fast. If you were to SC during the day at San Juan Capo, Hawthorne, Rancho Cucamonga, and top up at the end of the day, it's doable. I wouldn't plan on using other charging locations during the day, as the power delivered vs time spent is not prudent use of your time. SC at the end of the day would work, but I would plan to SC to max at San Juan Capo at the beginning of the day before heading further north, and hitting Hawthorne for 80% during the day, if possible. Other fast charging locations will become available, and might help down the road. High power charging during the day, as necessary, and topping up at night would be the best way to go.

Finally, if you forsee transitioning in the next year to a different job and different driving habits, you might find the MS to be both a short term and long term solution.

Scotty