Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer detected, vehicle not equipped with tow package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
maybe one of you has some insight into this:

so, the following screen came up after I hooked up my trailer and 7 pin:
PXL_20210409_213618328.MP.jpg

which is odd...because the car came with a tow hitch and I see the tow mode in the mcu:
PXL_20210410_002116701.jpg

and, even more confusing:
PXL_20210410_002025559.jpg

but it sometimes seems to work?
PXL_20210410_003246692.MP.jpg

Did you buy the car from Tesla, with the Tow Hitch package? If so, the car should have the extra reinforcement. If somebody added a hitch after the purchase, the reinforcement might not be there, and towing heavy loads may damage the car.

Did you buy the car from Tesla, with the Tow Hitch package? If so, the car should have the extra reinforcement. If somebody added a hitch after the purchase, the reinforcement might not be there, and towing heavy loads may damage the car.

I'm the second owner. the hitch looks like it has NEVER been used. so, I suspect it came installed from the factory. when I decoded options online I see: TW00 No Tow Package, but I'm not sure how accurate the options list is from "My Account" since it also shows the incorrect interior decor

it goes it for the mcu update next week. I will ask them when I drop it off.

There are two different issues here.
One is the existance of a physical tow hitch.
Second is the existance of the electronic tow package.

You need to check with service to see if your car has the electronic tow package installed.

My 2017 Model X came with a tow hitch, but no electronics package. Service turned on the tow package. Initially quoted $500 to do so, but ended up being a no charge service :)

The SC should be able to assist with this. If it was indeed a Tesla factory installed package, they can update the firmware on the car to make sure it knows.

I have an upcoming appointment with the SC and sent them a message regarding this. we'll see!

There are two different issues here.
One is the existance of a physical tow hitch.
Second is the existance of the electronic tow package.

You need to check with service to see if your car has the electronic tow package installed.

My 2017 Model X came with a tow hitch, but no electronics package. Service turned on the tow package. Initially quoted $500 to do so, but ended up being a no charge service :)

I'm going to check my MCU when I head over to the shop. I suspect you are right. If the SC wants to charge me to enable tow mode, I guess it's gonna be permanently disabled lol!

I've never seen the red trailer, I've seen blue whenever I tow. I do recall some early X's had a hitch but didnt purchase towing package. Some of those owners purchased the receiver to use with bike racks. Seems like you need tow mode enabled. There's a config for that.