Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer electrical connector DOA on New MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t need a tow package for bikes and skis. You just need a hitch.

A hitch costs about $300. The tow package is $1000. You’re paying for the electronics and they 100% do not work.

It’s laughable when fanbois try and defend this.
not defending anything tesla announced the 12v would be disabled on delivery when they swapped to the new battery it was public knowledge, and a hitch with electronics is about 600-700 before install, most people wont install them themselves even though its easy, tesla price is perfectly fair, its up to the buyer to understand that 12v is not working right now since tesla let everyone know and once they do have a proper fix itll be free for people t get better than my wifes palisade that hyundai had to pull the entire towing fuses out of cars since they were catching firing and still no fix insight for people who go the factory tow package, glad we went aftermarket with that so we can still use her towing harness

So they lied to you and sold you a $1000 bike rack.
Chill, bud.

I've only had the car for a few months but I've towed a few utility trailers. Thinking back to all the things I've ever towed with any vehicle, none have ever had electric brakes.

This article implies that 12v aux power is not needed for electric trailer brakes. Can you post something that does point to a 12v aux requirement at the trailer connection?

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and glide
Chill, bud.

I've only had the car for a few months but I've towed a few utility trailers. Thinking back to all the things I've ever towed with any vehicle, none have ever had electric brakes.

This article implies that 12v aux power is not needed for electric trailer brakes. Can you post something that does point to a 12v aux requirement at the trailer connection?
correct, i have towed with my 22 MYP with a few different trailers that had electric brakes and worked perfectly, the 12v aux is to power additional things in trailers that some have like interior lights etc. it so funny how people think its huge deal that its disabled when its not cause people towing those kind of trailers dont tow with a model y lol

Chill, bud.

Dude. Stop. How can you tow anything with a brake controller without the 12V?

You can’t. Just stop.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer
correct, i have towed with my 22 MYP with a few different trailers that had electric brakes and worked perfectly, the 12v aux is to power additional things in trailers that some have like interior lights etc. it so funny how people think its huge deal that its disabled when its not cause people towing those kind of trailers dont tow with a model y lol
The 7 pin doesn’t power anything inside a trailer. So you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what it is used for.

• Disagree
As I said, please post some information about how 12v aux power is required at all at the trailer so that we are better informed. Until then, everybody is telling you you are wrong..
No they aren’t. Do your own research.

But let’s start here, how are you powering your brake controller? How are you charging the battery in your tow vehicle?

• Disagree
"The pin for Aux Power (Pin 6) is usually with a Red Wire, but sometimes it’s different like Black. Sometimes we call it ‘Aux Power’ or ‘Auxiliary Power’ or ‘Accessory Power’ or ‘Batt 12V+’. Whatever the name it connects to the tow vehicle positive, DC power. Typically, auxiliary power is for charging the Breakaway battery, RV batteries, interior lights, power for accessories, etc."

"If a trailer has brakes, then it needs a connector with at least 5 pins. The 5th pin, a blue wire, gives power to operate (or disable) the trailer brakes."

And, the brake controller is powered by a harness inside the cabin, which feeds that blue wire at the trailer hitch. The controller does get 15V on the new cars, but this is likely within the acceptable range, just like a radar detector that can take 12-16V input. It outputs 12 volts to the trailer hitch 5th pin though.

So, by my deduction, these issues sound like two separate things. The brakes are completely powered by the blue 5th pin, and the other 12V items on the trailer are powered by the Aux wire. Plenty of people have towed with trailer brakes on their '22 MYs this year. Have not seen any posts about trailer brakes being non functional due to the 15V Li-Ion yet.

Tesla's "fix" will make sure Pin 6 outputs 12V instead of 15V for the trailer accessories (NOT brakes) that require it.

Last edited:
The 7 pin doesn’t power anything inside a trailer. So you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what it is used for.
LOL the 12v gives auxiliary power to trailers that use it. every towed a fancy race car trailer? or wait probably not, gorgeous lighting on the inside all powered from the 12v on a normal trailer hardness on cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiehlsport
Dude. Stop. How can you tow anything with a brake controller without the 12V?

You can’t. Just stop.
AHAHAHAHA YOU CAN, the 12v is not for the brakes, some trailers with electronic brakes do not need brake controllers. most dont have them only super heavy trailers do that are made to tow tons of weight so you can counter balance the trailer braking and make it more bias compared to your cars braking, most trailers just have default electric brakes that match the pressure with what is being pressed inside the car just like the two different trailers i have towed with no issues .

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide
"The pin for Aux Power (Pin 6) is usually with a Red Wire, but sometimes it’s different like Black. Sometimes we call it ‘Aux Power’ or ‘Auxiliary Power’ or ‘Accessory Power’ or ‘Batt 12V+’. Whatever the name it connects to the tow vehicle positive, DC power. Typically, auxiliary power is for charging the Breakaway battery, RV batteries, interior lights, power for accessories, etc."

"If a trailer has brakes, then it needs a connector with at least 5 pins. The 5th pin, a blue wire, gives power to operate (or disable) the trailer brakes."

And, the brake controller is powered by a harness inside the cabin, which feeds that blue wire at the trailer hitch. The controller does get 15V on the new cars, but this is likely within the acceptable range, just like a radar detector that can take 12-16V input. It outputs 12 volts to the trailer hitch 5th pin though.

So, by my deduction, these issues sound like two separate things. The brakes are completely powered by the blue 5th pin, and the other 12V items on the trailer are powered by the Aux wire. Plenty of people have towed with trailer brakes on their '22 MYs this year. Have not seen any posts about trailer brakes being non functional due to the 15V Li-Ion yet.
you are correct and @glide is horribly wrong its comical

• Disagree
I see the misunderstanding.
The 5th pin. Electric Brakes Control Power, is Also dead on 2022 Model Ys. Generally this is acceptable as you are expected to install a brake controller (some fit in the cabin, some fit on your trailer harness) that uses the 12v and outputs to the 5th pin to run the brakes.
Tesla used to have an active 7th pin and a dead 5th pin until you installed a brake controller, now both pins are dead. I've "heard" both pins can/should work without a brake controller as the onboard computer can run it, but it currently doesn't either.

I see the misunderstanding.
The 5th pin. Electric Brakes Control Power, is Also dead on 2022 Model Ys. Generally this is acceptable as you are expected to install a brake controller (some fit in the cabin, some fit on your trailer harness) that uses the 12v and outputs to the 5th pin to run the brakes.
Tesla used to have an active 7th pin and a dead 5th pin until you installed a brake controller, now both pins are dead. I've "heard" both pins can/should work without a brake controller as the onboard computer can run it, but it currently doesn't either.
Do you mean the 6th pin instead of the 7th? Per the wiring diagram linked above the 7th pin is for backup lights, and the 6th pin is for aux 12 V power.