Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer electrical connector DOA on New MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 MYP with factory tow package.

No voltage at the 7-pin connector. Tried with a known-good trailer, test connector and multimeter. With tow mode on and off.

Tesla service tells me that it's my problem. Gave me a pigtail connector with zero guidance or instructions. Claim that it's the customer's responsibility to connect to trailers.

I explained to the tech that if there's no voltage at the connector, it's clearly a problem with the car. Local service manager is the one giving the bogus advice.

Suggestions? I expected that an electric car company would have techs who understand simple 12v electrical circuits.

No voltage at the 7-pin connector. Tried with a known-good trailer, test connector and multimeter. With tow mode on and off.

Tesla service tells me that it's my problem. Gave me a pigtail connector with zero guidance or instructions. Claim that it's the customer's responsibility to connect to trailers.

I explained to the tech that if there's no voltage at the connector, it's clearly a problem with the car. Local service manager is the one giving the bogus advice.

Suggestions? I expected that an electric car company would have techs who understand simple 12v electrical circuits.
They needed to pull the whole bumper to connect it.
This is from another post I saw, with your exact problem

Reactions: Daekwan

If there’s no voltage at the 7 pin, that’s their problem. My Model Y was also delivered the same way from the factory. They forgot to properly hook up the wiring. Which has nothing to do with the brake controller cable.

Take it back to them or take it to another Service Center.

Reactions: Daekwan
I've got a friend who just took delivery of a Model Y P with factory tow package. She's not getting any connection to the trailer. No power, no lights. Is that what you've got going on? I'm trying to help her troubleshoot the issue.

Initially I assumed that she needed to do something with the wiring. She's got a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller and the car simply isn't powering it.

I have a March 2022 MY, LR, with the factory tow package The Auxillary 12v pin on the 7 pin connector has no signal.

The impact for me is the brake controller isn’t powered. I have the Prodigy RF controller. The manufacturer says all their brake controllers need the 12v auxiliary pin functional.

I found a couple of articles published in Jan that say Tesla disabled it when they put in the Li-Ion battery this year. There’s supposed to be a retrofit mid 22.

Service isn’t familiar, so I elevated to a manager to research. Stay tuned…

I’ve cancelled two trips an sunk hours troubleshooting and researching.

Here are a couple of articles…

Trailer 12V auxiliary power disabled in recent tow hitch-equipped Model Ys due to upgraded 12V Li-Ion battery

New Tesla Model 3/Y Refresh Leaves Owners Without Trailer Auxiliary Power Capability

Attachments

• 64768020-9DC1-40AB-BFEA-971B32212EC2.jpeg
    64768020-9DC1-40AB-BFEA-971B32212EC2.jpeg
    735 KB · Views: 863
Same here I have 22 MYP and my 7pin plug doesn't have all pins that work (no left side directional). Tec said it could be the led lights on the trailer... and didn't check it with a tests light. not happy with the deflection. I too will be taking it to another SC

I have a March 2022 MY, LR, with the factory tow package The Auxillary 12v pin on the 7 pin connector has no signal.

The impact for me is the brake controller isn’t powered. I have the Prodigy RF controller. The manufacturer says all their brake controllers need the 12v auxiliary pin functional.

I found a couple of articles published in Jan that say Tesla disabled it when they put in the Li-Ion battery this year. There’s supposed to be a retrofit mid 22.

Service isn’t familiar, so I elevated to a manager to research. Stay tuned…

I’ve cancelled two trips an sunk hours troubleshooting and researching.

Here are a couple of articles…

Trailer 12V auxiliary power disabled in recent tow hitch-equipped Model Ys due to upgraded 12V Li-Ion battery

New Tesla Model 3/Y Refresh Leaves Owners Without Trailer Auxiliary Power Capability
Great information. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: SharonMY
Actually has nothing to do with quality. Has to do with the new battery and getting it to work with 12v wiring of the trailer harness. They announced it when they made the change. Everyone was aware of it.
That has everything to do with quality. You don’t ship a non-functional trailer hitch. You make it unavailable to order until you figure it out.

Reactions: Togg and Iflyair1az
That has everything to do with quality. You don’t ship a non-functional trailer hitch. You make it unavailable to order until you figure it out.
no, the trailer hitch is quality, the functionality is just one part of the electrical, people still want the trailer hitch like me, i wouldnt have ordered if it wasnt there as many others, Especially the fact that i would guess 98 percent of MY owners with trailer hitches use them for bikes or a cargo rack not for towing. I was able to tow a trailer with mine without brakes and used a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter to connect to the trailers 4 pin and all worked flawlessly.