Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer electrical connector DOA on New MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm mostly upset that they promised to have a fix this summer. Had to cancel plans to rent a camper. I've heard nothing about it whatsoever. Even their sales people seem out of the loop on this issue.
I think it's pretty annoying as well. My MY was ordered long before they started putting LIION batteries in the Y, so the limitation wasn't known when I ordered it. My personal issue isn't the accessory pin, but the higher voltage preventing certain 12V accessories from running properly/at all. The fix for both is the same, a buck voltage converter for the 12V accessory subsystem. it's not rocket science, and should have been in place when they released the new battery.

Reactions: Iflyair1az
Glad I opted to go without it. It's pretty shocking that an entire rail is disabled due to a limitation introduced by Tesla. I would understand if a user used a non-approved battery type. I will wait to purchase the Tow Package until it is fully functional.

Glad I opted to go without it. It's pretty shocking that an entire rail is disabled due to a limitation introduced by Tesla. I would understand if a user used a non-approved battery type. I will wait to purchase the Tow Package until it is fully functional.
In my case, I would have ordered it anyway, as my primary need for the hitch is for a bike rack. The other items are secondary. Doesn't prevent it from being annoying, though.

Only the accessory pin on the connector is disabled. The rest of the "12V" sockets are live, albeit showing 15.5V. I put together a stepdown transformer for those accessories that decline to run on 15.5V, so I'm not stymied.

In my case, I would have ordered it anyway, as my primary need for the hitch is for a bike rack. The other items are secondary. Doesn't prevent it from being annoying, though.

Only the accessory pin on the connector is disabled. The rest of the "12V" sockets are live, albeit showing 15.5V. I put together a stepdown transformer for those accessories that decline to run on 15.5V, so I'm not stymied.
Yea I have a small cargo trailer and a small boat trailer. I'll need to see what Voltages these run off of. I assume brake lights and that whole shebang don't run on the 12v rail and rather something else?

Yea I have a small cargo trailer and a small boat trailer. I'll need to see what Voltages these run off of. I assume brake lights and that whole shebang don't run on the 12v rail and rather something else?
trailer will work fine pulled both a boat and trailer with my 2022 MYP, everything worked fine, what doesnt work is if your RV that uses 12v auxiliary power thats what is not working right now

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
The pins for brake, signals, etc, are all live, but at 15.5V. I don't think this is likely to disturb the led/incandescent lights on a trailer. It's more delicate things like pumps, compressors and the like that run off the accessory pin and don't have overvoltage protection that might have problems. I assume that's why the pin is disabled until they resolve it.

Actually has nothing to do with quality. Has to do with the new battery and getting it to work with 12v wiring of the trailer harness. They announced it when they made the change. Everyone was aware of
I think it's pretty annoying as well. My MY was ordered long before they started putting LIION batteries in the Y, so the limitation wasn't known when I ordered it. My personal issue isn't the accessory pin, but the higher voltage preventing certain 12V accessories from running properly/at all. The fix for both is the same, a buck voltage converter for the 12V accessory subsystem. it's not rocket science, and should have been in place when they released the new battery.
Third year engineering co-op student found a part online. Not rocket science. But does have to be integrated and supported. It wasn’t generally known. I suspect the impact that trailer brake controllers won’t work wasn’t well understood when the decision was made. I also suspect they mistakenly assumed no one would tow teardrop trailers.

IMHO Tesla should be proactively communicating with impacted owners, buyers and service. Ok, enough venting.

Latest update, Tesla service Rocklin is working with corporate. I understand there will be a retrofit wiring harness and software update. ETA hasn’t been communicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Third year engineering co-op student found a part online. Not rocket science. But does have to be integrated and supported. It wasn’t generally known. I suspect the impact that trailer brake controllers won’t work wasn’t well understood when the decision was made. I also suspect they mistakenly assumed no one would tow teardrop trailers.

IMHO Tesla should be proactively communicating with impacted owners, buyers and service. Ok, enough venting.

Latest update, Tesla service Rocklin is working with corporate. I understand there will be a retrofit wiring harness and software update. ETA hasn’t been communicated.
While teardrop trailers and brake controllers are an element, they're far from the only thing that won't run with 15.5V as a source. This was just sloppy work on Tesla's part. My problem was solved with a $30 buck-boost voltage converter and a hacked 12v accessory cable, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

You're right, it's not rocket science, which is why it should have been right from the start. This wasn't an obscure or subtle issue.

While teardrop trailers and brake controllers are an element, they're far from the only thing that won't run with 15.5V as a source. This was just sloppy work on Tesla's part. My problem was solved with a $30 buck-boost voltage converter and a hacked 12v accessory cable, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

You're right, it's not rocket science, which is why it should have been right from the start. This wasn't an obscure or subtle issue.
Thanks for sharing. I agree with you.

The last software release included games, yippee. I get the privilege of playing video games, polluting the environment and forking out $150 to fill a truck gas tank. (Ok, I’m being snarky, I’ll stop)

The trailer brakes are a safety issue too. You’d think they would have at least communicated that that doesn’t work to keep drivers safe.

Possible update. I heard from someone else that they Tesla has a fix for the 12v accessory on the tow harness. I requested a service appointment stating the issue and that I had heard a fix was ready. They scheduled me service for next week. I'll update if/when it actually happens and is fixed.
Thanks, I also have the factory tow hitch, and hasn't had chance to use it

I sent my 2022 March MYLR to service a few weeks back to have them look into the 12v auxiliary power on an service installed tow package. They came back with no fix available at this point, and none promised!

Probably nothing will happen until some sort of class action law suit since they figure tow equipped MY is a small percentage of their customer base.

I sent my 2022 March MYLR to service a few weeks back to have them look into the 12v auxiliary power on an service installed tow package. They came back with no fix available at this point, and none promised!

Probably nothing will happen until some sort of class action law suit since they figure tow equipped MY is a small percentage of their customer base.
It is criminal that they sell a non-functional tow package.

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer

They stated they are replacing the controller with 3rd Gen version in my quote I approved. We'll see.

it still functions lol you can tow a ton of trailers, most dont require 12v that people are pulling. ive pulled a few 10ft enclosed with my Y with no issue, tesla added the trailer hitch not for people towing but for people using bikes and ski racks from hitches.
It states it has a tow capacity of 3500lbs. In order to tow anything near that weight you need a functioning brake controller. You can't safely tow near its rated tow capacity. Many other similar vehicles have a much lower towing capacity simply because they can't handle electronic brakes for this exact reason. Their rated tow capacity is no longer accurate until the fix this issue.

Reactions: glide
it still functions lol you can tow a ton of trailers, most dont require 12v that people are pulling. ive pulled a few 10ft enclosed with my Y with no issue, tesla added the trailer hitch not for people towing but for people using bikes and ski racks from hitches.
You don’t need a tow package for bikes and skis. You just need a hitch.

A hitch costs about $300. The tow package is $1000. You’re paying for the electronics and they 100% do not work.

It’s laughable when fanbois try and defend this.

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer