Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Trailer-friendly Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason, I can't edit the wiki. Napa, California is now open and trailer-friendly.
Here are two photos of the Napa supercharger taken last week. The store wasn't open yet, but as you can see, the one charger on the west side of the block allowed trailer use without blocking other superchargers.
DSC_0132.jpg
DSC_0133.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Drove from AZ to SoCal and back last week. (First roadtrip in the X!) Stopped at several different Superchargers of course, and noticed that Indio, CA actually had two stalls where you pull in head first, essentially being completely trailer-friendly! I don't plan to pull a trailer, but for those that do, I hope that's a continuing trend.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Barstow, CA is trailer friendly. It has three spots that are accessible while pulling trailers - two are pull in with enough room to back out the trailer in a straight line and then turn to leave, and one "end" spot that has room to pull up next to the supercharger. Eureka and Ukiah, CA are also fairly trailer friendly. They are "pull across" but have good turning room.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
On the road trip that I took earlier this year in my Model X from Southern California to the Tesla Club Gathering in St. Louis, Missouri, I made note of the trailer friendliness and took photos of all the superchargers along my drive on the I-70 there and the I-40 return trip. For convenience you can find my notes about trailer friendliness along with photos at: http://www.teslatouring.com/superchargers/ There are comments and photos of over 70 Tesla Supercharging locations on that page, but the trailer friendliness comments are only posted for the Superchargers along I-70 and I-40.

This is at Junction, TX, They did put one stall with the port located out such that a trailer-hauling MX could either pull in or run along-side as in the photo earlier in this this thread.

1483994746059-1907328360-jpg.209824

Unfortunately, this SC is at a truck stop. and vehicles loop around the lot and pass by here. Apparently, one screwed up when passing by and hit the stanchion and damaged it. They came back with a revised design.

img_20170222_093101-jpg.215937

Kingston (Ontario, Canada) has 1 convenient trailer-friendly spot (3B), assuming that another vehicle isn't already parked there or charging opposite.
A very nice Model-S owner offered to change stalls so that I could take up both parking spots and charge easily.
WIOVubv.jpg

Reactions: JimVandegriff
The photo of this supercharger in Seaside, Oregon should be the poster child for all new superchargers. I find it hard to believe that intelligent people continue to build dead-end superchargers, as if Tesla does not know what a towing package is. Others blame it on the site owners. I can't agree. Tesla could require pull throughs at all sites if they wanted to. Even in the worst case, one pull through charger could be specified. It aggravates me that you spend all this money on your Tesla & your rig and they expect you to unhitch the trailer at almost every supercharger going cross country to charge. I don't think Tesla owners that pull trailers are being unreasonable asking for a supercharge that is towing friendly. Again, I remind you ALL ICE cars have pull through stations. Sorry, I had to vent.

Just stopped at Sandy, OR with a trailer. There is one nice spot, but... there was a car without a trailer using that spot. The car did have a bike rack, and probably the driver wanted to take advantage of the extra clearance.
A note of etiquette might be, don't use the trailer-friendly spots unless you have no other option.
It was pretty easy to disconnect the trailer and use a regular spot... no harm done.

Just stopped at Sandy, OR with a trailer. There is one nice spot, but... there was a car without a trailer using that spot. The car did have a bike rack, and probably the driver wanted to take advantage of the extra clearance.
A note of etiquette might be, don't use the trailer-friendly spots unless you have no other option.
It was pretty easy to disconnect the trailer and use a regular spot... no harm done.
Out of curiousity, what were you pulling?

It would be thoughtful of Tesla to design a handful of spots at their new 40-stall SuperDuper chargers in Kettleman City and Baker (and anywhere else) that would easily accommodate those of you who are hauling trailers. It would be even more thoughtful of Tesla if they had clear, explicit language that those spots were reserved for drivers with trailers unless all other spots were in use.

It would be thoughtful of Tesla to design a handful of spots at their new 40-stall SuperDuper chargers in Kettleman City and Baker (and anywhere else) that would easily accommodate those of you who are hauling trailers
It certainly would, but so far I don't see any indications that Tesla is doing that. Of course the percentage of Tesla owners hauling trailers is tiny, and one can always unhitch. But it would be nice not to have to do that.

The site plan of the future Kettleman City location and the fact that there is a building already on the property leads me to believe that it would be very difficult to design the site in a such as way as to give a Tesla/trailer combo a usable charging stall without significantly reducing the total number of stalls that the site can accomodate. So I don't fault Tesla for not providing such a stall. Those of us who tow will just have to unhitch on the street and then enter the site to charge.

In the Kettleman City posts, Ohmman presented the drawing of the planned site. (#30 if you wish to look.) He has a large red ellipse at the top of the drawing. It would seem to me that that area could be a drive through area with two Supercharger pedestals spaced far enough apart to permit a trailer to remain hitched. I would even go so far as to add a small egress between the two pedestals to let the one who is behind pull out if he is finished and the owner in front is still charging. And Tesla would need to post large signs--both overhead and at the stalls--reserved for drivers towing trailers--use last.

They did not teach us how to read architectural and engineering drawings in my accounting classes, so I really do not know what I am looking at. But that space does look like that could be available for a pull-through lane. This would free up two outlying spaces for something else.