Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch Choices - having trouble deciding...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GF has pretty much taken ownership of my Y, so I want to put a hitch on my 3 to carry bikes. Trying to work through the pros/cons.

The stealth hitch is nice, carries 350 lbs, but requires a big cut in the underbelly and is about $600
The Curt is $261, only carries 200 lbs, but isn't removable.

If I had the new pan with removable knock out I might lean harder towards the stealth.
I think I'd rather cut a smaller hole, and am not feeling the advantage of removability of the receiver.
Have a hard time imagining taking 3-4 bikes on the smaller car, as it won't handle that many people and gear nearly as well as the Y.

What am I overlooking?
Which hitch have/would you put on your 3 and why?

PXL_20210527_232318984.jpg

I'm planning on the stealth hitch for my 3, but it will be the newer bumper design since I'm buying new so that should make it easier.

Why wouldn't the 3 handle multiple bikes and gear as well as the Y? I haven't seen the Y yet, but the only issue the last 5 years for my use cases that my wife's SUV does better than my current 3 series is fit a jogging stroller without taking the wheels off. Camping with 2 kids is the only other scenario I can think of for us where we would actually use the extra space the SUV has (and even then it just makes it easier to get stuff in and out). Hauling bikes is always done with the smaller sedan so far and 2 bikes with gear takes up so little space that I have a hard time imaging how 3 or 4 would be tight with a sedan.

I'm planning on the stealth hitch for my 3, but it will be the newer bumper design since I'm buying new so that should make it easier.

Why wouldn't the 3 handle multiple bikes and gear as well as the Y? I haven't seen the Y yet, but the only issue the last 5 years for my use cases that my wife's SUV does better than my current 3 series is fit a jogging stroller without taking the wheels off. Camping with 2 kids is the only other scenario I can think of for us where we would actually use the extra space the SUV has (and even then it just makes it easier to get stuff in and out). Hauling bikes is always done with the smaller sedan so far and 2 bikes with gear takes up so little space that I have a hard time imaging how 3 or 4 would be tight with a sedan.
Both will carry the bikes on the outside fine, but on the inside the 3 is quite a bit tighter.
It's SO much easier to carry and change in and out of biking gear in the Y, and this is magnified when you add people.

Liz prefers to drive the Y (except on road trips, the 3 has FSD).
When it's just me biking I'd rather not make her switch cars.

Also, I prefer FSD all the time. So I'm gonna put a hitch on the 3.

Reactions: OUengineer
You should have bought it directly. Mine was delivered in 4 days after ordering. I heard etrailer was taking a long time to ship because they didn’t have stock. Either way it’s a great hitch. I towed a 5x8 yesterday and couldn’t tell it was there at all.
lol. things change fast!

Stealth is out of stock, and Etrailer ordered Wednesday is getting delivered today.

Welcome to bizaro world...