Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch for model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some trailer hitches for the model Y online that run approx. $300 or so.......can anyone suggest a reliable company here that could install the hitch?
It would not be used for towing, only for a bike rack for electric bikes...total weight 120lb.

I've seen some trailer hitches for the model Y online that run approx. $300 or so.......can anyone suggest a reliable company here that could install the hitch?
It would not be used for towing, only for a bike rack for electric bikes...total weight 120lb.
Basically there’s oem for $1300,

aftermarket is eco hitch and draw tite (uhaul is the draw tite)

You can get the draw tite on etrailer.com or uhaul site for $225 shipped (etrailer will Beat uhaul site if you call them)

also you would be crazy not to grab the wire harness for $100. It plugs right in but you need to tap into the power outlet in back (or just run a wire up to battery) very simple. You might one day need to tow a trailer and need the trailer lights working plus better resale and not much added labor if you are installing hitch.

eco hitch retains crash bar which I think is a good thing whereas oem and draw tite do not. So you could possible sell the crash bar and recoup most of the cost

if u do go non oem route be prepared to do the install (there’s a great tutorial video so you can see what’s involved on the etrailer and uhaul sites)

also if you don’t go Tesla they won’t install the tow mode software which means you will see a small red line on the back bumper on the screen while towing or using a bike rack. It will also beep when backing up. However, you will be able to use autopilot

If you go Tesla they do all the work for you and you do get tow mode software but also loose AP while towing which sucks

if you are someone who can do the install you should do it and save the $$

Upvote 0
Basically there’s oem for $1300,

aftermarket is eco hitch and draw tite (uhaul is the draw tite)

You can get the draw tite on etrailer.com or uhaul site for $225 shipped (etrailer will Beat uhaul site if you call them)

also you would be crazy not to grab the wire harness for $100. It plugs right in but you need to tap into the power outlet in back (or just run a wire up to battery) very simple. You might one day need to tow a trailer and need the trailer lights working plus better resale and not much added labor if you are installing hitch.

eco hitch retains crash bar which I think is a good thing whereas oem and draw tite do not. So you could possible sell the crash bar and recoup most of the cost

if u do go non oem route be prepared to do the install (there’s a great tutorial video so you can see what’s involved on the etrailer and uhaul sites)

also if you don’t go Tesla they won’t install the tow mode software which means you will see a small red line on the back bumper on the screen while towing or using a bike rack. It will also beep when backing up. However, you will be able to use autopilot

If you go Tesla they do all the work for you and you do get tow mode software but also loose AP while towing which sucks

if you are someone who can do the install you should do it and save the $$
I'm so glad that I ordered my MY with towing package.. Saved me $200.. You really need the software as otherwise, the sensors will go crazy if there is something so close to the car and the car doesn't know what it is.. I've towed our trailer a few times with the MY and it tows awesome..

Upvote 0
I would urge everyone to go with the factory hitch. Heaven help you if you have to deal with any warranty issues that arise from using and aftermarket product like a hitch and wiring harness. Even if you think it is better, and maybe it is, Tesla holds all the cards when it comes to warranty work.

As for towing, I am pretty impressed with how well it tows. I've towed a large 2 bike motorcycle trailer. It did great. I towed a large tandem jets trailer with 2 big skis on it. I towed a smaller single place motorcycle trailer as well.

That last one really surprised me. I had a pretty big bike on it (K1600GT). Bike and trailer together were about 1200 pounds. Didn't even know it was there and at 70 mph my energy consumption was 369 Wh/mi. The tandem jets was the worst as the skis are big and set outboard of the car a fair amount. I wasn't on a fast highway with them and I was at 450 Wh/mi at 60 mph. It was a wide triton trailer and 2 SeaDoo RXT300's on it. Probably about 2300 pounds total with it.

That one having the acceleration boost definitely helped it feel still pretty lively when taking off. The MY did great on a really slick, steep boat ramp too.

Two things I would suggest with whatever hitch you use.

• Buy soft shackles like these. They were a little challenging to get in but the make it so much easier to attach the tow chains AND they still hide behind the tow plate cover so you can leave them on.
  • Take advantage of the different mirror profiles. I setup a profile for when I am towing different trailers. I also setup a profile for just when I am backing up. The auto mirror tilt can be good but it isn't enough for some situations. So I just setup profiles for the task at hand and it makes it so much easier.

Upvote 0
Good points all around. For me, saving $1K is worth it. If I have an issue I can always unplug the harness, its plug and play, wouldnt take long. But I doubt it would cause an issue, and I really want AP while towing. Back up sensors -- I will report on when I do it. Ive heard they dont make noise dwg forward.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0