Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased a trailer receiver lock for the model Y that fits in the available space? Looking for one to lock my 1UP bike carrier when on the car. The one that comes with the 1UP won't work due to the trailer wire plug. I'm guessing a 90 degree lock and a smaller shaft will be needed as the standard size won't fit in the 1UP either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

That’s what I’m using. Different rack so check that it fits with your. The 90 degree angle fits
Thanks for the recommendation. The angle would be right and would probably work, but a 5/8 (15.88 mm) shaft won't fit my rack. The hole in the rack is closer to 10mm. I had found one that was 12mm and that too was too big.

Upvote 0
I havent used my hitch yet but will in the next couple of months and have been keeping a list of pins that would work. Note, I haven’t purchased any of these yet but have been saving them as I read about others recommending them across the various Tesla forums. Hope this helps and let us know if you find one that works!

Reactions: EdSt
Upvote 0
I also have a MY and a 1UP rack along with the provided rack lock. It took a little while to get it in right. Here's what I found useful:
1. Have the rack in the "up" position ( as if the rack is mounted on the car, but not used)
2. Push the rack in as furthest as you can without hitting your bumper.
3. Insert the trailer lock at an angle
4. Once you have it in, pull the rack out a little so it's not so close to the bumper
5. Tighten the hex bolt.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I havent used my hitch yet but will in the next couple of months and have been keeping a list of pins that would work. Note, I haven’t purchased any of these yet but have been saving them as I read about others recommending them across the various Tesla forums. Hope this helps and let us know if you find one that works!

Thanks for the recommendations. Although I believe each of these (with 90' lock face) will work with the hitch receiver itself, none would work with the 1UP due to the smaller channel it has. Where a 5/8 (I believe) shaft will work with he TESLA, the 1UP will only accommodate a 10mm shaft.

Upvote 0
I also have a MY and a 1UP rack along with the provided rack lock. It took a little while to get it in right. Here's what I found useful:
1. Have the rack in the "up" position ( as if the rack is mounted on the car, but not used)
2. Push the rack in as furthest as you can without hitting your bumper.
3. Insert the trailer lock at an angle
4. Once you have it in, pull the rack out a little so it's not so close to the bumper
5. Tighten the hex bolt.

Good luck!
In this scenario, do you have the lock face on the right or the left of the receiver? I'm guessing it's on the right (while facing the back of the car) allowing you space to get the key in to unlock it after use?

Upvote 0
Has anyone purchased a trailer receiver lock for the model Y that fits in the available space? Looking for one to lock my 1UP bike carrier when on the car. The one that comes with the 1UP won't work due to the trailer wire plug. I'm guessing a 90 degree lock and a smaller shaft will be needed as the standard size won't fit in the 1UP either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I called 1 Up and they said they would have a right angle locking pin in the correct dimension ... in about a month. Have you found anything else while we wait?

Upvote 0
I called 1 Up and they said they would have a right angle locking pin in the correct dimension ... in about a month. Have you found anything else while we wait?
No not yet. I tried to go in on an angle like others have suggested, but can't get it to work.

Interesting that they're coming out with a proper model Y lock though ... I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
My 1Up trailer lock works OK, I just have to put it in from the passenger side and slide the 'lock' onto it from the drivers side, you can even slide the pin into the lock as you put the pin through, plenty of room for me on the drivers side. [Factory Hitch]
And,,,,, I see that the lock on 1Up website looks different from the one I got last year, mine looks like this:

https://www.curtmfg.com/media/catal...82ca8f4b5c9ae93ddae8/2/3/23505_1024x768_a.jpg

Reactions: Koolio46
Upvote 0
Just recently got the 1up cargo tray, and it came with this hitch lock: 2”-2.5” Slotted Hitch Bar Lock, 1/4 Turn

Also cannot install it or lock it due to the trailer wiring connector. Looks like a right angle version is required.
A right angle version is NOT required.
Go on from the top on the drivers side and the pin will fit. You can lock it on the passenger side.

Upvote 0
I have the 1up lock that you have to thread onto the pin and can confirm it works, you just have to push and pull the shaft in the hitch receiver until it goes through. But it's a hassle to do that and also thread the lock in such a tight space.

I've ordered the 1up hitch extender. I'm hoping to leave the extender attached permanently, that way I'll have easier access to install/remove the rack. Also hoping that I can get a little more clearance between the bumper and rack when it's folded up because right now that clearance is like 1/4" or less.

Upvote 0
A right angle version is NOT required.
Go on from the top on the drivers side and the pin will fit. You can lock it on the passenger side.
Tried many times and couldn’t get the angle in correctly from behind or above the electrical wire area as you describe. It’s possible given Tesla’s issues with body alignment in general that each of us has that harness just located slightly this way or that and you are fortunate to have it in a better position. So a right angle lock is definitely what I am looking forward to.

Upvote 0