Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased a trailer receiver lock for the model Y that fits in the available space? Looking for one to lock my 1UP bike carrier when on the car. The one that comes with the 1UP won't work due to the trailer wire plug. I'm guessing a 90 degree lock and a smaller shaft will be needed as the standard size won't fit in the 1UP either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I called them up today and seems like they're charging for these now. $23 for it. It's still not on their website, but they instructed to do an order from the website for "Additional Payment" for $23, and then in the order note, add a comment that it's for "Tesla Model Y tow hitch lock"

Unfortunately, it uses a different cylinder and so no option to have it keyed the same as your existing 1Up locks

Upvote 0
Has anyone purchased a trailer receiver lock for the model Y that fits in the available space? Looking for one to lock my 1UP bike carrier when on the car. The one that comes with the 1UP won't work due to the trailer wire plug. I'm guessing a 90 degree lock and a smaller shaft will be needed as the standard size won't fit in the 1UP either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I did this to pin that came with. Works just fine now. Slips in and passed.

Upvote 0
I called 1 Up and they said they would have a right angle locking pin in the correct dimension ... in about a month. Have you found anything else while we wait?
I just hacked off the big bubble end of the lock pin using a hacksaw. Mostly took off the big rubber grip, the metal flange that secures the pin is still very much intact (i hacked off maybe 1cm of it, so the flange is now about 1.5cm long, and it fit in easily on the driver side (with the trailer plug), the locking part then went on the passenger side. Bit of a pain but works fine.

Upvote 0
I posted this in another thread back in March, and when 1UP was sending out free Model Y compatible hitch locks.

It fits perfectly and I sometimes use it on my other car, and IMO you need the plastic spacer (from my other hitch lock.... the Model Y lock didn't come with a spacer) or there's too much play on the hitch. The only thing I don't really care for the lock is it looks like it can bounce up & down against the hitch safety rings while driving, where you would tie a chain onto from a trailer. I don't hear any banging while I'm driving, but it's not as "clean" as the standard hitch lock.... but that doesn't fit on the Model Y's.

1-UP-Hitch-Lock-1.jpg

Upvote 0
the one that came with my kuat didn't fit. They sent me this replacement - https://shop.kuat.com/Hitch-Lock

Much easier to install and remove than this one I bought while waiting - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I think part of the ease is that I also replaced the core with 2 Lock Cores for Kuat System to match the cable bike locks that came with the rack. I think the square plastic key made a significant difference. I can keep it from twisting/turning that I found with the round key. The masterlock was OK but I found it hard to get the key inserted when trying to remove the pin. THere is a slight lip that caused me trouble. All that said, the master was easy if I sat on the ground and could see what I was doing. But now with the Kuat I can stand and get the key in to the lock within a second or two without looking.

Upvote 0
I contacted 1UP a while back regarding the lock and as mentioned they wanted $23 or so and being located in Canada they also wanted another $23 in shipping. They were nice enough to send me this link which shows I can pick this one up which they said is similar? Probably the same one they sell if you ask me.

That being said, unless you have the special allen key you are not getting the 1up hitch off. Now if a thief is equipped with this special key he would also be equipped with something to remove that little lock IMHO so whats the point I ask except there would be 2 items to deter as opposed to 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Email 1Up or call them to tell them you have mY and they will send you one that finishes in an angle, that gives the geometry you need.
they say they don’t advertise it on the website because people would get confused but I don’t agree.

Reactions: Jacopa
Upvote 0
that is one thing I didn't like about the 1up. You need a key where the kuat has a knob. But I thought the 1up key was just a security allen wrench? No?
It is just a tamper resistant allen key however you do need one to remove it. Unless you are specifically out to steal a 1up then there is little chance the thief is going to have one in his pocket as opposed to some conventional tools.

Upvote 0
Tamper resistant or not, that is what I didn't like about it. I take my rack off pretty much every time I use it. Having the knob seemed much more convenient. I just give it couple twists and then a spin and I can pull the rack out. But I did like the 1up. It was my second choice. And I did like that I could get a 1 bike version. I probably would have bought that and maybe the extension if I thought it went on/off without too much trouble. I kept my yakima (it's a cheaper version of the tesla sold one) figuring if I ever needed to carry 4 bikes, I'd struggle with that.

Upvote 0
I have been following this thread to get the 1up lock to fit the hitch on my model Y, but unfortunately no matter the angle I was not able get it through.
I did message 1up customer support and they are sending me an updated lock.

Since I was on a time crunch and wasn't able to wait on the new lock, and I ended up purchasing one from amazon that fit perfectly fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TLKE8Z8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Here are some pictures of how the rack looks on the Y with a Super 73.

Upvote 0
I have been following this thread to get the 1up lock to fit the hitch on my model Y, but unfortunately no matter the angle I was not able get it through.
I did message 1up customer support and they are sending me an updated lock.

Since I was on a time crunch and wasn't able to wait on the new lock, and I ended up purchasing one from amazon that fit perfectly fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TLKE8Z8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Here are some pictures of how the rack looks on the Y with a Super 73.
Is the lock cover spring loaded? You might have a bit of difficulty if so. I need both hands. one to hold the swivel and one to put the key in. If the cover says open, I don't see any problem. But if the cover doesn't, you might find it a pain.

A lot of these locks work fine if you're sitting on the ground and can see what you're doing. But I wanted one that didn't require that. I wanted to be able to unlock by feel.

I got this one - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 while waiting for my kuat. It works ok but I found getting the key in a little tricky. The brass tumbler is a little raised and I'd have trouble locating the hole. Also, like your amazon one, it's cut on one side. Not a deal breaker but harder I found. Finally, you need the key in to push the pin in to the lock. I think that is generally a good idea as you can't lock it if you don't have (i.e. lost) the key. But in the case of the MY where you're reaching in to a small space, it is more of a nuisance.

Kuat sent me this replacement - Hitch Lock. It works really well. Unfortunately out of stock right now. But I always get it unlocked while standing up within seconds. A little pricier but you can buy extra keys and cores. You can buy a replacement rubber cover. Cores probably don't matter unless you also bought a kuat rack. This is an older version with older cores. But the newer cores also fit which Kuat was nice enough to also send me for free so I could match the locks on my rack.

Upvote 0

That’s what I’m using. Different rack so check that it fits with your. The 90 degree angle fits
This I’m using for my 2 inch hitch - just fits and could only get on with lock on the left as the power hook up didn’t allow the long pin to be flat enough to pass both receiver holes from the left. Also had to put lock on while wrenching tight the pin instead of after(which is what instructions would have you do). Unscrewed the pin to make sure the lock was really locked as there was no room(with power hook up in the way) to really pull the lock off to check.

Upvote 0