Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased a trailer receiver lock for the model Y that fits in the available space? Looking for one to lock my 1UP bike carrier when on the car. The one that comes with the 1UP won't work due to the trailer wire plug. I'm guessing a 90 degree lock and a smaller shaft will be needed as the standard size won't fit in the 1UP either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone purchased a trailer receiver lock for the model Y that fits in the available space? Looking for one to lock my 1UP bike carrier when on the car. The one that comes with the 1UP won't work due to the trailer wire plug. I'm guessing a 90 degree lock and a smaller shaft will be needed as the standard size won't fit in the 1UP either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I have the same problem with my Y and 1Up Lock. I just pounded the crap out of it with a heavy mallet and screw driver after removing the electrical component (the hard metal face plate was still in the way). Main problem now is that it is a huge pain if I want to take the bike rack off. Am looking for a better option, but it can work.

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I thought I read some people saying that 1up had a different one that fit. This - Kuat Hitch Lock works great. Used it today. Took 5-10 secs to get on mostly fiddling with the lock part to line up the hole with the pin. Taking off was faster. Maybe sub 5 seconds. There is no room problem at all. I don't get down to even see it. I can put it on and take it off that quickly just by feel.

Reactions: rivets
Upvote 0
The Kuat was out of stock when I bought the rack so I bought this master lock - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked OK but 2 things I didn't like as much as the Kuat.

1 - The key is one sided. The Kuat is two sided making it easier to insert if you can't see what you're doing.

2 - The mast lock tumbler part, the rotating part you insert the key in was a little raised for the rest of the cylinder body. Again made it a little harder to do it by feel.

3 - You need to have the key in and turned in order to lock / insert the pin. The Kuat just pushes in and locks. Both are the same for removal. You have to be holding the key turned while pulling out the pin.

Upvote 0
I was in a time crunch and needed to find a way to lock my new 1UP rack to the Y hitch. I ended up cutting the circular part (the part that you hold) of the key off. I was able to lock it with the key on the driver side and then remove the key stub using needle nose pliers. It won’t be easy to unlock - not a permanent solution. I will be contacting 1UP for a lock the fits the model Y.

Upvote 0
The lock part looks the same as - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one works ok but a couple things I didn't like about it.

1 - The tumbler portion on mine is raised a little and I found it hard to put the key in by feel alone. That is I could not slide the key around until it found it's way in to the key hole.

2 - The key is single sided so I had to make sure the cuts were facing the correct way where as the double sided made inserting the key by feel easier.

3 - You have to have the key in and turned to get the pin in and locked.

None of those were terrible and I used the one in my link until I could get the Kuat. But the Kuat solved those pionts and I get the lock on and off in seconds by feel alone.

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Just bought this one from Lowe's for $23. Works great on my MYLR.

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I seem to remember a thread talking about 1UP giving away a specific lock for the Model Y, but have since started charging for it when customers contact them. Have you tried that route?

Reactions: Blaiwesk
Upvote 0
I read the tips earlier on this thread for using the provided 1UP pin lock, but it was impossible to insert with my setup. Well, I could get the pin through but didn't have enough space to add the locking mechanism and insert the key- way too narrow. I did reach out to [email protected] to see if they had any suggestions for theft prevention. They asked for my order # and said they will ship out a different pin lock (via USPS) free of charge.

Upvote 0
I read the tips earlier on this thread for using the provided 1UP pin lock, but it was impossible to insert with my setup. Well, I could get the pin through but didn't have enough space to add the locking mechanism and insert the key- way too narrow. I did reach out to [email protected] to see if they had any suggestions for theft prevention. They asked for my order # and said they will ship out a different pin lock (via USPS) free of charge.
This

Upvote 0