Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have info from a very good source that it will not be available in North America. Sorry I can’t share where I got it. That makes sense because that’s what they did with Model 3 as well. I think you can get a hitch on Model 3 in Europe but still not in USA. I’m very bummed about this news as well. But things could change.

I have info from a very good source that it will not be available in North America. Sorry I can’t share where I got it. That makes sense because that’s what they did with Model 3 as well. I think you can get a hitch on Model 3 in Europe but still not in USA. I’m very bummed about this news as well. But things could change.
Any chance we can purchase it in Europe and have it shipped? I have family in Switzerland.

Any chance we can purchase it in Europe and have it shipped? I have family in Switzerland.
No idea. You might see what the options are on Model 3 because it may follow that.

All I know is not available in North America. And that could change.

What I would like to know is. Is the wiring in place. And if you got a 3rd party hitch would they back the warranty. Or could you order a hitch from Europe :)

Hitch balls in Europe are metric (50mm ball) whereas hitch balls in the US are imperial. I know as I used to live in the UK and all my UK accessories are imperial and don’t fit hitches here. I would have thought that you could order from the Tesla store in Europe but the hitch hall would be metric. There may be a chance that the coupler from US refresh Model X would fit the hitch bar on a European refresh S hitch assembly but someone would have to try that. And of course then there’s the wiring to sort out if you want to tow and the software which enables tow mode. A real shame if it’s true that there will be no hitch for the refresh S here in the US. Aftermarket will then be the only option when that’s available.

I have an Ecohitch Stealth on my current S and although it works well there’s no tow mode software option.

Attachments

• 139F47B9-7FFB-4CA2-9C0B-6574CCBB4EFA.jpeg
    139F47B9-7FFB-4CA2-9C0B-6574CCBB4EFA.jpeg
    881.5 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Informative
Reactions: scrapps
Hitch balls in Europe are metric (50mm ball) whereas hitch balls in the US are imperial. I know as I used to live in the UK and all my UK accessories are imperial and don’t fit hitches here. I would have thought that you could order from the Tesla store in Europe but the hitch hall would be metric. There may be a chance that the coupler from US refresh Model X would fit the hitch bar on a European refresh S hitch assembly but someone would have to try that. And of course then there’s the wiring to sort out if you want to tow and the software which enables tow mode. A real shame if it’s true that there will be no hitch for the refresh S here in the US. Aftermarket will then be the only option when that’s available.

I have an Ecohitch Stealth on my current S and although it works well there’s no tow mode software option.
The Ball doesn't matter, those are interchangeable, shank might be different though.

But the receiver, has different Class designations (specs and dimensions as well). I'm sure that is different in Europe as well.

However, on the Model X the receiver (called a Tow bar by Tesla) is also interchangeable and the end that connects to the vehicle is proprietary.
So for Model X, Tesla just sells a different tow bar in the USA and Europe. I'm not sure what Model Y has.

Most USA after market setups have a fixed Class II or III receiver 2" x 2" box integrated.

But you make a good point, if they used the same setup as Model X for Refresh Model S, even if they do sell it in Europe, there might not be a Tow Bar made for the USA. And if the Receiver is fixed, it might only be compatible with European. That can probably be fairly easily adapted though.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitch-size.aspx

Electrical might have similar complications. But I would guess on a Refresh Model S, if hitches are supported in Europe, it *might* be still prewired in USA and might still auto detect trailer mode. MAYBE.

• Informative
Reactions: scrapps
I have a Model S on order and plan to get a hitch on it one way or another.

I just read a thread on this site that installed a Pre Refresh Model X Tow Hitch on a Pre Refresh Model S.
He also bought a U-Haul hitch for Model S and used it as a guide to modify the Model X and maybe borrowed other parts too.

I was thinking we might do the same and get a Model X Refresh hitch and put it on a Model S Refresh.
Since Tesla is having some plans for a Model S Refresh hitch (some day some where) it would be great if it's the SAME hitch on Model X and S.

With a huge amount of luck, it just might bolt on :) Why design two if one will do.

It probably won't be available from the Tesla Store but could be ordered as a Part.

I know everyone's needs are different, but me personally, I just want a bike rack and cargo caddy, so I don't need electrical or tow mode
Me too, for most of the time, however without tow mode the proximity sensors in the prearranged bumper pick up the rack when fitted. That doesn’t affect autopilot/FSD, however it’s annoying having the warning in the display.

Bit more research.

I dug into the parts catalogs.

If you look in USA Parts Catalog for a Hitch on Model 3 there is nothing listed.
If you look in UK Parts Catalog for a Hitch on Model 3 there IS a hitch listed. That's GOOD.

If you look in USA Parts Catalog for a Hitch on 2020 Model X you see a part number for the hitch.
If you look in USA Parts Catalog for a Hitch on 2021 Model X you see a DIFFERENT part number for the hitch. That's GOOD.
Note: It was not just a Revision change.

If you look in USA Parts Catalog for a Hitch Adapter on 2020 Model X you see a part number for the hitch.
If you look in USA Parts Catalog for a Hitch Adapter on 2021 Model X you see a SAME part number for the hitch. Mostly GOOD.
Note: Same Rev too.

If you look in USA Parts Catalog for a Hitch on Model S Refresh there is nothing listed.
If you look in UK Parts Catalog for a Hitch on Model S Refresh (there is NO Model S Refresh Parts catalog yet). There is hope.

We have two shots at an official Class III hitch for Model S Refresh

I suspect once Model S Refresh starts shipping to Europe I suspect the Hitch part will show up too.
Or the Hitch for Model X Refresh and Model S Refresh might be the same part number.

I'm also counting on the Model X USA Hitch Adapter will plug into any Tesla Model S Hitch and come out the correct height.
This could be the trickiest thing to have work correctly on the Model S.

There won't be a USA Model S Hitch Adapter unless Model S Refresh Hitch and Car was designed to use the exact same part as on a Model X

Changes on Model X Refresh hitch, could be a hint that they designed these parts to be in common with Model S Refresh.
Changes of old Model X Hitch magically fitting Model S Refresh would be low but fitting a Model X Refresh would be high.
The best reason to change these parts on the old Model X is to make them compatible with both Refreshes. That's my thinking ;)

Last edited:
Saw a Plaid at Tesla late last week and I can attest to the hitch "door" being there. Have no idea why it would be there unless for a hitch, fingers crossed. Picking up my new Model S Plaid on Thursday and will have good look at it. May be able to get ion the service area and get the techs to check it out. We have 2 Ys and an X in the family, so I know them quite well.

Saw a Plaid at Tesla late last week and I can attest to the hitch "door" being there. Have no idea why it would be there unless for a hitch, fingers crossed. Picking up my new Model S Plaid on Thursday and will have good look at it. May be able to get ion the service area and get the techs to check it out. We have 2 Ys and an X in the family, so I know them quite well.
Any update?

Yeah, if you could look closely for wiring, that’s an import piece that really needs to be there for a factory setup. It won’t be down low near where the trailer would hook up. On Model X the hitch assembly plugs into the car. And trailer plugs into the hitch assembly. So it might be way up or to the side.