Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is awesome. I suspected all along it might bolt right on.

Strange you had to bend that flange.

Can you share some tips about getting the bumper off?

And can you explain that bar you said you took off that you didn't put back on, is that just in place of the hitch?

Do you know if the old Model X Receiver that plugs in, is the same as Raven X?

I trade my Raven X for Refresh S tomorrow if all goes well.

To bad there was no wiring. Probably no brake controller wiring up front either.
Getting the bumper off is fairly easy, multiple videos on YouTube of bumper removal on the prior S and this one is very similar.

From memory (and it’s a lot easier/ probably essential if the rear of the car is raised on stands and the rear wheels removed and plastic trim tools are used to remove clips and pry trim). I used two large harbor freight jacks and a set of jack stands from Rennstand - see pics.

- First I removed the plastic pushpins holding the two rear felt wheel well liners to the body. Peeling them back from the edge of the fender next to the rear bumper allows you to access the single torx screw holding the fender to the body. These have to be removed both sides.

- Next I used a quarter drive socket to remove the multiple 10mm nuts that hold the rear undertray to the body and some plastic pushpin clips that hold the rear undertray to the one adjacent to the battery.

- Next - inside the rear trunk - unclip the finishing plate around the trunk catch by pulling it upwards from one end firmly. Go easy so you don’t bend it, prying it carefully away from the carpet liner.

- Then remove the trunk trim piece to the right of the large storage well (see pic). Again, this pulls away and then allows the trim in the well and adjacent to the edge of the trunk to be lifted slighty.

- The next job is to get to the two 10mm nuts - one each side - that hold the rear bumper to the body. They are accessed by carefully peeling back the silver rubberized adhesive sound deadening that covers a hole each side on the inside of the body shell under the rear tail lamps. It’s a bit of a fiddle to access these as the trunk trim needs to be carefully peeled back from both sides to access the sound deadening. Go easy as the sound deadening tears easily. The job is harder on the rear passenger side as the small shelf inside the trunk makes it hard to pull back the trunk trim. You’ll need a quarter inch deep socket/ drive and extension to remove the nuts as they bolt onto long threaded studs that attach the bumper to the body. Be careful that you don’t drop the nuts on removal as they will drop into a void inside the body shell. I thought I’d lost one but managed to recover it using a magnetic probe.

- Next - and two people will be required at each end of the bumper - gently pull the bumper away from the body. The bumper clips onto plastic carriers on the body shell. Work carefully to pry the bumper away from the body on both sides and from the rear panel on the vehicle.

- The bumper should then be able to be lifted off the body shell. Again, two people will be required to support it as it will try to twist. There’s a wiring loom attaching the sensors in the bumper to the body however I found I had sufficient length to keep this connected as long as I kept the bumper near the body on the ground. I placed a blanket on the ground to protect the bumper beforehand.

- Next steps are obvious. Can’t remember the size of the nuts but remove the 4 each side holding the crash bar to the body. When fitting the hitch I placed nylon washers I bought from Home Depot between the body and the hitch to isolate the steel hitch from the aluminum body, a precaution just in case. Torque the bolts up (settings are in here as are many of the general instructions which are similar to the new S http://www.hitchsource.com/docs/pdf/x7201 & x7202 - 2012-2016 Tesla Model S.pdf )

- Refit - generally - is the reverse. I used blu-tack to hold the nut to the socket when bolting up the bumper under the rear lights. It’s a bit of a fiddle to get the bumper lined up with the body and the undertray under the car at the same time. Patience is required ro line the fender up and clip it to the plastic mounts on the body applying pressure by knocking the bumper with the heel of your hand.

- The hitch takes the place of the rear bumper bar as cars with the hitch don’t have the bumper bar from the factory (as far as I know). On my previous S I had a Torklift hitch and we did refit the bumper bar however as I’m using the X hitch I don’t think the bumper bar will fit.

- On the receiver - again as far as I know - all X receivers fit all X hitches. In fact I suspect that all X factory hitches of all years will fit the new S but can’t be sure.

- On wiring, there was no connector I could see for a trailer brake controller. I used a Tekonsha inductive kit on my last car however the wiring was complicated by the need to run a 12v supply to the 12v battery in the front of the car. We moved a lot of interior trim to run the fused live wire inside the body and it was a length job, especially where the wire went through the firewall under the dash. One could take a 12v supply from a connector that powers the liftgate however I wanted to keep clear of interfering with factory wiring.

- On the flange on the hitch that I bent, that was to hold the brake controller loom on the X. The rear panel on the X must be taller to accommodate that bracket as theres less room on the S

Hope this short write-up helps others. It’s fiddly job but patience is the key.

Attachments

• 3B69EAE7-AA8A-402E-B332-31C538C2802F.jpeg
    3B69EAE7-AA8A-402E-B332-31C538C2802F.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 81FF3C54-C7CA-4622-BE4C-95CBAA62FD21.jpeg
    81FF3C54-C7CA-4622-BE4C-95CBAA62FD21.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 315D7BD9-7D85-4381-BE3D-0F8A8373C5E8.jpeg
    315D7BD9-7D85-4381-BE3D-0F8A8373C5E8.jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 158
  • BC099F0E-E968-417C-9FA5-AF608A7BAC31.jpeg
    BC099F0E-E968-417C-9FA5-AF608A7BAC31.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
The Tesla parts catalog also shows the hitch that @gbailey installed should fit all MX/MS from 2015-2021 (and I assume 2022).

I thought I recall someone earlier stating the pre-refresh hitch had a different bolt pattern but that would not make sense based on the part numbers I am seeing here.

Part NumberDescriptionModelCategorySubcategoryGroup
1027581-00-HTRAILER HITCH - NAModel X Sep 2015 - Feb 202112 - EXTERIOR FITTINGS1230 - Trailer HitchTrailer Hitch
1027581-00-HTRAILER HITCH - NAModel X Mar 202112 - EXTERIOR FITTINGS1230 - Trailer HitchTrailer Hitch
I think you’re right that all hitches from the X will fit the refresh X. From what I understand - and thanks to someone on one of the S forums on Facebook - the new S (gray car in the attached pic) lacks four studs that were present on earlier cars (black car in attached pic). Looking at pics from the install of the Torklift Ecohitch on my blue 2020 S it appears that the hitch installs on 6 studs and the hitch bar hangs below the bumper bar which is refitted. I can see now why Torklift have had to redesign the hitch for the new S which has only 4 studs, and there may also be additional changes made to allow the receiver to align with the new hatch under the bumper.

Attachments

• C483BEDC-4B74-4410-AC4D-CF326AAD2B29.jpeg
    C483BEDC-4B74-4410-AC4D-CF326AAD2B29.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 111E9386-23BF-4EA0-9E2F-4C062E20864B.jpeg
    111E9386-23BF-4EA0-9E2F-4C062E20864B.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 5CD09A2C-1004-41B8-BBE5-F09F71A55858.jpeg
    5CD09A2C-1004-41B8-BBE5-F09F71A55858.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 194
  • AE97274F-ED30-4645-B6C6-EB42364FE9DE.jpeg
    AE97274F-ED30-4645-B6C6-EB42364FE9DE.jpeg
    610.8 KB · Views: 195
  • B6744B58-50E3-4DDB-8833-D7F935B08E8D.jpeg
    B6744B58-50E3-4DDB-8833-D7F935B08E8D.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cmarshack and glide
I think you’re right that all hitches from the X will fit the refresh X. From what I understand - and thanks to someone on one of the S forums on Facebook - the new S (gray car in the attached pic) lacks four studs that were present on earlier cars (black car in attached pic). Looking at pics from the install of the Torklift Ecohitch on my blue 2020 S it appears that the hitch installs on 6 studs and the hitch bar hangs below the bumper bar which is refitted. I can see now why Torklift have had to redesign the hitch for the new S which has only 4 studs, and there may also be additional changes made to allow the receiver to align with the new hatch under the bumper.
Are you saying the change to the S in 2021/2022 is what allows the factory Tesla hitch to work for both models now?

Reactions: cmarshack
Are you saying the change to the S in 2021/2022 is what allows the factory Tesla hitch to work for both models now?
No, my sense is that the factory hitch from the S always fitted all versions of the S as can be seen in the pic of the black car. The clearance looks tight, however the hitch bracket clears the unused studs on pre-2021+ cars. The on,y thing I’d add for the pre-2021+ cars is that im not sure how much the rear bumper would have to be cut to accommodate the receiver on the factory X hitch as receivers on aftermarket hitches like the Torklift (from memory) hang lower. The clearance between the factory X hitch and my bumper is tight as can be seen from this pic.

Attachments

• 7116E7AB-FE81-417F-A53A-D112DABDB25D.jpeg
    7116E7AB-FE81-417F-A53A-D112DABDB25D.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 197
No, my sense is that the factory hitch from the S always fitted all versions of the S as can be seen in the pic of the black car. The clearance looks tight, however the hitch bracket clears the unused studs on pre-2021+ cars. The on,y thing I’d add for the pre-2021+ cars is that im not sure how much the rear bumper would have to be cut to accommodate the receiver on the factory X hitch as receivers on aftermarket hitches like the Torklift (from memory) hang lower. The clearance between the factory X hitch and my bumper is tight as can be seen from this pic.
I believe someone did try a Model X hitch on a Pre-refresh S and it did not fit the bolt pattern. He bought a 3rd party hitch just to get the bolt pattern off it and modified the Model X hitch. That was my backup plan if a better solution didn't surface. But I see what you mean by the photo of the black car. Also note that the black car does not have that flange you appeared to bend out of the way. European hitches are slightly different too. Different part number.

I don't see the problem in your photo. If you remove the receiver can the cover fit back ok?

Also looking through e-bay the old revision Model X hitches don't show the Model S rating. I realize it's the same hitch but looks like only recently (refresh) can properly mount it.

Thanks for the details on removing the bumper.

I plan to order a Model X Hitch tomorrow.

BTW, I was looking through the thread on 12V switched power for radar detector and supposedly someone found the Brake Controller cable in the drivers well near OBDII port. That's a good sign that the car is wired. There might be a harness needed that goes between the hitch and some socket somewhere else, maybe in the trunk or taillight or something.

I have 2018 Model X service manual. I'll check what it has. Tesla Parts Catalog might give a hint too.

Last edited:
I believe someone did try a Model X hitch on a Pre-refresh S and it did not fit the bolt pattern. He bought a 3rd party hitch just to get the bolt pattern off it and modified the Model X hitch. That was my backup plan if a better solution didn't surface. But I see what you mean by the photo of the black car. Also note that the black car does not have that flange you appeared to bend out of the way. European hitches are slightly different too. Different part number.

I don't see the problem in your photo. If you remove the receiver can the cover fit back ok?

Also looking through e-bay the old revision Model X hitches don't show the Model S rating. I realize it's the same hitch but looks like only recently (refresh) can properly mount it.

Thanks for the details on removing the bumper.

I plan to order a Model X Hitch tomorrow.

BTW, I was looking through the thread on 12V switched power for radar detector and supposedly someone found the Brake Controller cable in the drivers well near OBDII port. That's a good sign that the car is wired. There might be a harness needed that goes between the hitch and some socket somewhere else, maybe in the trunk or taillight or something.

I have 2018 Model X service manual. I'll check what it has. Tesla Parts Catalog might give a hint too.
Thanks. I saw that post on what looked like a brake controller cable near the drivers footwell however reading on I thought I read it was either not the case or the harness was only present in early production cars. I think that’s part of the challenge - that Tesla makes multiple ongoing changes to care through production so it’s hard to determine what fits what and there’s no public record of what changed at what specific VIN number (apart from the big changes like headlamps which we can narrow down to a date or VIN range).

If you do dig up useful information on the brake controller - I couldn’t find anything on the EPC - please post it here.

Thanks. I saw that post on what looked like a brake controller cable near the drivers footwell however reading on I thought I read it was either not the case or the harness was only present in early production cars. I think that’s part of the challenge - that Tesla makes multiple ongoing changes to care through production so it’s hard to determine what fits what and there’s no public record of what changed at what specific VIN number (apart from the big changes like headlamps which we can narrow down to a date or VIN range).

If you do dig up useful information on the brake controller - I couldn’t find anything on the EPC - please post it here.

This has a slight bit more info than the Parts Catalog. This is from a 2015-2018 (Pre-Raven Model X) Service Manual.
Notice it does not show that flange you bent even though it's the same part number. But it is an earlier Revision.

I also suspect Part #2 is different on Model X Refresh and uses that flange. Also just noticed it says No 2 comes with No 1.
I couldn't find anything else regarding wiring in the Service Manual.

51952779538_4f6b5d0f1c_b_d.jpg

Well I have some good news. The take-off hitch I bought from a refresh 2022 Model X DID fit my 2022 Long Range S. I only had to bend a bracket back on the hitch that was designed to hold part of the hitch wiring harness on the X and of course remove the rear bumper reinforcing bar which I didn’t refit. Apart from that it fitted perfectly and it’s easy to fit the removable hitch when the undertray hatch is removed. I didn’t fit hitch wiring this time and couldn’t see any wiring harness for a factory accessory towing harness so I may have to fabricate something if I decide to down that route. My sense is that any factory hitch from a Tesla Model X would fit the new refresh S.
I have some even better news. I just picked up an earlier version of the Model X hitch and it does not even have that bracket for the wiring harness, which you had to bend. So mine should be an easy install!
Hitch.01 (1).jpeg

hitch.02.jpeg

Reactions: Fastcar and gbailey
I have some even better news. I just picked up an earlier version of the Model X hitch and it does not even have that bracket for the wiring harness, which you had to bend. So mine should be an easy install!
View attachment 785700

View attachment 785703
I want the one @gbailey got with the sticker that shows Model S 3500lbs.

Just as a bit of insurance if I got push back on a warranty denial. I can point at that sticker ;)

Has anyone else attempted an install recently? I’m having some fitment issues with the mounting the factory X bar to my refreshed S. The 4 bolts on the passenger side do not line up correctly. So either the hitch or the bumper shield bolts are slightly out of spec.

I’m probably going to have to drill some material off the hitch to make it work.

Has anyone else attempted an install recently? I’m having some fitment issues with the mounting the factory X bar to my refreshed S. The 4 bolts on the passenger side do not line up correctly. So either the hitch or the bumper shield bolts are slightly out of spec.

I’m probably going to have to drill some material off the hitch to make it work.
Can you share some pics.

Is it Refresh 1.0 or 2.0?
Can you take a pic of the Label with the load capacities and Part number with the Rev.

How far are they off? I needed to offer the X bar up carefully to the studs on the car abs slide the hitch over the studs on both sides at the same time.

Reactions: mswlogo
Can you share some pics.

Is it Refresh 1.0 or 2.0?
Can you take a pic of the Label with the load capacities and Part number with the Rev.
I was able to get it on finally. It required shaving about 1mm off one of the hitch points then a gentle tap with a rubber mallet. Not optimal because I was worried about stripping the bolt threads but it worked out.

It is a refresh 1.0 and hitch Rev H. It has the sticker w/350/3500 weight limit but I have the bumper back on now.

Reactions: mswlogo

84EF0683-5CCC-4B78-8324-CDA631121D7C.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: cmarshack and glide