Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone here understand total trailer (and cargo) weight limits, versus "tongue weight"? I'm looking at trailers and not sure I understand what that means and how to think about such limits.

This is pretty clear cut and posted several times in this thread.

52246059947_d63af5c672_o_d.jpg

Reactions: 2022S-LR
Yeah I saw those numbers, just not sure what they mean.. I’m pretty new to this whole towing stuff.
Tongue weight is the amount of weight that rests on the ball (i.e. the very front of the trailer's tongue). Trailer weight is the total weight of trailer and all cargo. A property built and loaded trailer should have a tongue weight that is 10% of total weight (hence why the tongue weight limits are exactly 10% of total weight). This is achieved by a combination of the placement of the trailer's axel along the front / back axis (i.e. balance point front to back) and where cargo is loaded (for example, when loading a utility trailer, one needs to ensure that the cargo has its weight appropriately distributed front to back to maintain tongue weight being approximately 10% of total weight).

Tongue weight is the amount of weight that rests on the ball (i.e. the very front of the trailer's tongue). Trailer weight is the total weight of trailer and all cargo. A property built and loaded trailer should have a tongue weight that is 10% of total weight (hence why the tongue weight limits are exactly 10% of total weight). This is achieved by a combination of the placement of the trailer's axel along the front / back axis (i.e. balance point front to back) and where cargo is loaded (for example, when loading a utility trailer, one needs to ensure that the cargo has its weight appropriately distributed front to back to maintain tongue weight being approximately 10% of total weight).
Thank you for the explanation! Much appreciated.

Other question specific to the tow bar installation: do we know what are the torque specs on the 8 bolts (4 per side) should be?

As for the trailer lights, I find it hard to believe that there is no OBDII port wireless light modules anywhere on the market. It seams easy enough to make a module that plugs into the OBDII port and sends the appropriate signals to a battery powered module that could plug into a standard trailer light socket.

I have looked, but it does not seem to exist..would solve our trailer light issue.

Reactions: mswlogo
For those of us who were waiting to see if Tesla was going to officially provide the option of a hitch for the Model S sold in Europe, alas it came true today. I can only hope Tesla decides to allow us owners in the US and other countries to install in our cars.

Would be really nice to have the OEM hitch along with a software update that eliminates the triggering of the sensors. And an official wiring module for those needing it! Not to mention, no more worries about potentially voiding our factory warranty.

Finally got my tow bar installed (the acquisition through Tesla was epic, they not only needed the name of my friend who owns a Model X and his VIN, but they actually called him to confirm I was buying it for him! Just wild...)

Anyway, installation was a breeze - no issues whatsoever. Just a tip that removing the bumper, at least for me, required quite a bit of force to pull back after having removed nuts & bolts needed. I had to pull from the front edges of the wheel well to get enough force to unlatch the middle clips of the bumper. The image below, from the service manual with the yellow arrow, kind of says it all.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.45.57 PM.png

Reactions: Bitjockey
Oh, and make sure you have deep sockets in both 10mm and 15mm to remove the bumper and original crash bar (and to install the tow bar).

Sharing some pics of my install:

View attachment 843971

View attachment 843972

View attachment 843973

View attachment 843974

View attachment 843979

View attachment 843975

View attachment 843976

View attachment 843977

View attachment 843978
Great write up and pics. How about to topping it off with a video showing the dash alerts when using a bike rack and/or trailer?

Nice, and thx! So the only thing you appear to be experiencing is a warning chime with the bike rack mounted. If Tesla decides to continue to only offer the hitch in Europe, I can deal with an occasional chime.
Most welcome! The chimes only appear in reverse, not in forward even when coming to a stop, so I’m okay with it as is.

I was chatting with a buddy from France who has a Model 3 with the official trailer hitch from Tesla from delivery, and he says connecting anything to it disables all assists such as Autopilot (and the chimes of course) so I like our solution better.

Now the only question is how do I wire up a trailer for lights and electric brakes.. need to do some digging into that, perhaps using the CAN bus?

Nice, and thx! So the only thing you appear to be experiencing is a warning chime with the bike rack mounted. If Tesla decides to continue to only offer the hitch in Europe, I can deal with an occasional chime.
I think the rack design will vary on if you receive warnings or chimes in drive. His only appears to warn on backing up because his hitch sits above the bumper more where my legacy car with a diff design rack doesn't sit as high above the sensor so I receive a chime everytime I come to a stop and I disabled the backup warning tone.
i-7zmFkHZ-XL.jpg

i-C9fVJ9c-XL.jpg

i-7SXMCW2-XL.jpg

Reactions: cmarshack
I think the rack design will vary on if you receive warnings or chimes in drive. His only appears to warn on backing up because his hitch sits above the bumper more where my legacy car with a diff design rack doesn't sit as high above the sensor so I receive a chime everytime I come to a stop and I disabled the backup warning tone.
i-7zmFkHZ-XL.jpg

i-C9fVJ9c-XL.jpg

i-7SXMCW2-XL.jpg

I will be mounting my 1UpUSA rack on Thursday, I will report back to see if the type/location of the rack makes a difference on the newer S.

Most welcome! The chimes only appear in reverse, not in forward even when coming to a stop, so I’m okay with it as is.

I was chatting with a buddy from France who has a Model 3 with the official trailer hitch from Tesla from delivery, and he says connecting anything to it disables all assists such as Autopilot (and the chimes of course) so I like our solution better.

Now the only question is how do I wire up a trailer for lights and electric brakes.. need to do some digging into that, perhaps using the CAN bus?
Great photos, thanks. I also have a Plaid and am interested in installing a hitch. I would be using mine to tow a Kendon motorcycle trailer so wiring for lights is essential. Please keep us updated if you find a solution.