Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to engage any members that have experience with added a trailer hitch to the model s. I intend to purchase one but my dream is to travers the country towing a lightweight camping trailer and utilizing the superchargers for fuel. I know a hitch is available, but what about the rear facing sensors etc

It will be difficult to get an answer. Tesla does not recommend towing a trailer with the MS. There is some question as to liability if you are in an accident, since you are exceeding the towing capacity for the vehicle (which is zero).

Between worries about documenting their possible warranty violation with Tesla and publishing a public acknowledgement that they are aware that they are exceeding manufacturer towing recommendations, it is unlikely you will get a public response.

I recommend you seriously consider buying an X instead of an S. As @BerTX pointed out, Tesla does not endorse towing a trailer with an S. The X has a factory towing option and is rated for trailers up to 5,000 lbs and 300 lbs tongue weight.

Look in the Model X forums there are various threads about towing camping trailers with lots of good information. You need to fully understand that towing even a 2,000 lb trailer with a Tesla means that your range on a single charge will be reduced by 50% or more. Please read those towing threads so you know what you are getting into. There are several X owners who are towing and making it work for them but it requires a greater degree of planning than regular Tesla driving (when not towing).

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX
It will be difficult to get an answer. Tesla does not recommend towing a trailer with the MS. There is some question as to liability if you are in an accident, since you are exceeding the towing capacity for the vehicle (which is zero).

Between worries about documenting their possible warranty violation with Tesla and publishing a public acknowledgement that they are aware that they are exceeding manufacturer towing recommendations, it is unlikely you will get a public response.

I fully understand. I would be very interested in having an "off the record" conversation with anyone who has a model S and has a hitch installed. I just got off the phone with the people at TorkLift. They were very helpful but could not (obviously ) put me in touch with any of their customers but did say that the hitch is a popular product - they install them 'every day'. They do not however, offer an electrical connector.
My email : klaus.fritzsche@ me.com

TorkLift will tell you the capabilities of the hitch. They will also tell you not to exceed the manufacturer's recommendation *wink**wink*

I would LOVE to be able to tow a small trailer with my Model S. But I'm unwilling to risk everything I own to do it, which is exactly what a liability lawyer will come after if you are in an accident, whether it is your fault or not.

how do you charge at a Supercharger, with a trailer on your car?

I hope that Tesla moves the charging port to the front of the Model 3...

(edit):
actually... now thinking about it... you probably have to take the trailer off even when you go front-ways in... otherwise the trailer will stick out.

I'm going to put a hitch on my car at some point, but NOT to tow... for a bicycle rack.